How to have fun practicing movement alone?

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
This last week I have been alternating between public servers and my own listen server practicing movement. I got to the listen server to practice the movement, and then go try to apply it to combat. Messing around on my own listen server is not much fun. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to do to make it fun. Same concept of how a drinking game makes things fun.

Edit: Maybe it would be a cool mod someone could make that makes a game out of practicing movement or other various things.

Comments

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe do it with bots so that way you're actually getting shot at? I haven't tried out the bots yet but I've heard they're actually pretty decent.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Maybe do it with bots so that way you're actually getting shot at? I haven't tried out the bots yet but I've heard they're actually pretty decent.

Aimbots you mean? I would rather play with real people at that point. The reason I am in a listen server is I am trying to get the psuedo bhop down a certain part of a map down. Then I go find a server with that map and kinda focus on that area.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Don't add bots, you'll get destroyed!
    Honestly, I think the best bet is just get into a server and try to ignore deaths. Just focus on one thing at a time:
    Can I hit a marine at full speed, get a bite and escape in one fluid movement?
    Try getting two bites and escaping (hint: turn round and parasite on the way out, marines love that)?

Make your own little meta game to improve, but do it live rather than offline, otherwise you'll spend forever in theory and not get real game experience, which is the most valuable thing.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Yes, a meta game. My own personal meta game. That is what I am looking for here. I am not too bad at b250 skulk right now. The new lerk and fade is another story. Just trying to learn paths and stuff for wall hops. Easiest to do on a listen server. Kinda dry doing it in the listen server but I don't want people in there for the same reason I don't want bots. They get in the way of why I am in a listen server. Just looking to brainstorm a meta game for in the listen server. Hence this thread.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    What about a competition for a custom map for alien movement?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    (Edit: boring post blah blah)

Sounds like you could use a skulk race map!
    I know the commands. No need to lower the damage as I am not killing anything. Debug speed is not necessary with the pants sounds though.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    edited July 2013
    You can add a few stationary marines into your own server.
    Italics means do that command in console.

- cheats 1
    - autobuild
    - join marine
    - tres 150
    - get phase tech, put a phase from your base to the general area you want to practice movement
    - run into random spots in the area and type give marine in console. A standard marine will spawn there. I find once you have done it once, it's best to hold crouch and then bring up console and just press up arrow and enter. Since marines always spawn on my head for some reason, this keeps them lower to the ground.
    - switch to alien
    - type fade
    - practice moving around the room and swiping marines as you pass them
    ChrisAUS wrote: »
    You can add a few stationary marines into your own server.
    Italics means do that command in console.

- cheats 1
    - autobuild
    - join marine
    - tres 150
    - get phase tech, put a phase from your base to the general area you want to practice movement
    - run into random spots in the area and type give marine in console. A standard marine will spawn there. I find once you have done it once, it's best to hold crouch and then bring up console and just press up arrow and enter. Since marines always spawn on my head for some reason, this keeps them lower to the ground.
    - switch to alien
    - type fade
    - practice moving around the room and swiping marines as you pass them
    That would be good fade practice. I am thinking more silly than that though.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Best hint: play normally on servers with people, on alien side, and when aliens start winning just spend your time bunnyhopping on secure zones. You get to listen what your team does while you practice and whatever. Then if you start losing again maybe do something.
    (Edit: boring post blah blah)

Sounds like you could use a skulk race map!

Sounds cool. Could be sections of other maps slapped together, just for validness to actual gameplay. Bonus points for gorge belly slide and fade maps too.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Set yourself a record on a circuit of summit. Try to beat it. Try to beat it going the other way around the map. Give yourself gold, silver and bronze medals. Profit.
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    How about gathering on a server for lesson? Since the EU cup is going on we lone few US players have been idling/pugging on the weekend. I could have some free time and have a LEARN TO MOVE get together this coming weekend :DDD.

It can be streamed and all sorts of fancy too!!!

Learn together and play together ^_^

-Bitey
    Typed on phone woo
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bitey wrote: »
    How about gathering on a server for lesson? Since the EU cup is going on we lone few US players have been idling/pugging on the weekend. I could have some free time and have a LEARN TO MOVE get together this coming weekend :DDD.

It can be streamed and all sorts of fancy too!!!

Learn together and play together ^_^

-Bitey
    Typed on phone woo

I'm still waiting on your "how to be a baller" video! :3
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Marine bot difficulty can be adjusted.
    Just do what others suggest, type a map in console, enable cheats, type your desired life form in console (alltech to get all upgrades) then you can add bots if you didn't already start with any. (type addbot as many times as you want.. There's two parameters you can add, like which team "addbot 1 2" etc.. But leaving it blank just auto assigns.)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    designate yourself to being res defense in a real game. if marines are good at harassing, you'll need good movement to respond quickly.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    1. Add marine bots
    2. Activate darwinmode

That way they'll shoot you without killing you (as they are effectively aimbots atm).
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    1. Add marine bots
    2. Activate darwinmode

That way they'll shoot you without killing you (as they are effectively aimbots atm).

They still get in the way cause they attempt to follow you. Darwin mode also gives you unlimited energy, when on a fade I am trying to relearn energy managment.
    james888 wrote: »
    HOW TO HAVE FUN PRACTICING MOVEMENT ALONE?

Use your other hand?

:D
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    type this in console:
    bind L spawn marine

That'll bind your L key (or any other key) to spawn a lifeless marine. Useful to test biting somewhat.
  • ukeuke Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185840Members
    edited July 2013
    I made a map which is only for training and has some different areas only for practicing movement (it also has an arey for spawning waves of enemies but the part is from the extra entities mod and unfortunately doesnt work at the moment)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=145367048

i practiced bhopping for hours and it worked well. theres no way(except gorgetunnels) to get into the enemy base so its really not meant for normal play

you need the extra entities map in order to have working teleporters(every door with a wall behind)
    the hub has numbers on the ground according to the numbers on the map

you can combine it with my training mod but not neccessary for singleplayer its meant for having pub training server not allowing those kids spamming hives everywhere but having some cheats enabled (if i get to know how i will make a god cheat which lets you be invincible but also not letting you deal damage to players) it lowers the gestation times and costs for weapons/lifeforms and increases resgain/maxres (which makes it useless for commanding properly)

(wanted to post the link but if you really want to test it search in my mods because the internetexplorer is damn slow -on that computer even slower than the usual slowness of it and firefox/sriron are slowest but anyway i think my map is perfectly suitable for training purposes because its meant for training only it even has a babbler training room now :P )
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    I do not believe you mean actual bunnyhop when you say bunnyhop
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Alternatively, after you find the bot difficulty level you wish to play against, if you bind a key to the lifeform name you can just instantly spawn and try again.
    For example, bind V fade .. and when a marine kills you, instantly press V and you'll respawn directly where you died, to try again.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    They still get in the way cause they attempt to follow you. Darwin mode also gives you unlimited energy, when on a fade I am trying to relearn energy managment.

Blink slightly upward to get your movement started, tape CTRL down (or hold it down, your choice), hit jump each time you hit the ground. Blink slightly upward again when you feel like your movement speed is slowing down a little.

Grats, you just learned how to conserve energy and play the new fade.
    This is a difficult thread to respond to because I the OP do not know what I even really want. It is often easier to say what you don't want than what you do want.

The method I am using for practicing is this. I go play a public game. I will notice that I am say struggling to go fast from generator to depatures in docking, or whatever other random run. After that round ends, I go start a listen server of my own and simply practice running from point A to point B. If I wanted to practice combat, I want a live subject not a bot. I even want the subject to be better than myself so I look for tough pub, or even a gather. I used to play small combat mod games to practice combat or certain aspects of combat but combat mod is effectively broken in build 250. That is just how I practice. I am not necessarily looking for new ways to practice.

The reason I made this thread is that one part of my method of practicing can be stale. The listen server from point a to point b part. I am looking for some sort of meta game that can range from silly to practical to do while I am doing something else. There is the obvious time myself and try to do it as fast as I can. I am looking for something beyond that. Maybe it nothing exists beyond that.
  • ukeuke Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185840Members
    not really answering the question but maybe some useful tips:

i dont think training is fun at all its only fun if you see yoursels actually making progress thats what keeps me training just bhopping around for hours with debugspeed on. i suggest you to practise the basic stuff until you can use them in every situation and then adding more complex stuff like sharp turns.
    i mean you should practice more general stuff you could use everywhere instead of just 1 hallway.
    in my opinion mastering the basics is the most important part of training because the complex stuff is based on it and if you fail at the basics the advanced stuff in not that effective for eample:
    you're fade and you use your shadowstep to convert your forward speed into the opposite direction (s+shift then turn 180°) and you know how to do it but you suck at maintaining your speed before so the speed you converted is low and therefore the advanced move ineffective
    you shouldnt practice the hallway from a to b you should determine what the problems are and just practice them(in both directions) what gives you more time and you cover similar obstacles in other levels or situations instead of just knowing that path

so some tips for training which i think are useful and less frustrating:
    -set yourself goals you can reach. if you reach it(set a new go) you have a feeling of success what keeps you practicing longer (if you set yourself unreachable goals you'll just end up frustrated)
    -master the basics then practice advanced stuff
    -if something is too difficult seperate it into parts (like the hallway or motion sequences)
    -practice one thing after another(prevents confusion)

i hope there are some helpful aspects in it and im not really happy with my english there but i hope you get it anyway

@wulf: i read that theres some kind of issue with the word bunnyhop in this forum/game but i never played a game where i used bunnyhopping so i have no reference. i also read pseudo-bunnyhop but its to long for me to write if i know that you know whats meant