Anyone crashing often?

2»

Comments

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I crashed a few times recently. The best part is, it crashed at yet different actions. But I remember only two right now ^_^`
    - I pressed the jump key very fast and crashed (sent report)
    -Choose carapace and pressed the evolve button -> instacrash (sent Iron a link to the dump file) with visual c++ error

The task manager was working fine this time for me and I started the techsupport.exe over it.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    reason taskmanager is bad is that if you have a 64b windows it makes a 64b dump while the game is 32b.
    Techsupport.exe makes a 32b one.
  • JumanjiJoeJumanjiJoe Join Date: 2013-05-03 Member: 185096Members
    I'm getting random crashes all the time now. Always at random times during the games too.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I started getting the VC++ crash again just recently (not 249).
  • SPASMadnessSPASMadness Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156958Members
    It was better in the previous patch but It's crashing again since the new one.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    May or may not apply to people here-

Lots of my crashes came from overlays by VOIP programs such as TS3 and mumble, make sure those are turned off when you play NS2 and see if it still is crashing, maybe even try turning steam overlay off and seeing if that's the cause.
  • SPASMadnessSPASMadness Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156958Members
    None of that was running when I crashed.
  • sensorisensori Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185843Members
    edited July 2013
    You really need to fix these random crashes. I don't remember the last time I played the game and didn't crash. Sometimes the game freezes up and when I open process explorer it's taking up one of my cores 100%. Sometimes it just crashes and I'm prompted with the debug report. There's no real connection between these. It all started way back in maybe January - March? I don't even remember anymore because it was such a long time ago.

I cannot enjoy the game anymore.
  • sensorisensori Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185843Members
    Alright I have figured out why I was crashing this much. It was a bad memory stick.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for posting your fix, @sensori !
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I crash a lot when I am pressing the jump key too fast - for example when I try to dodge as lerk. Happens a lot recently. Is that a known issue that can be fixed? Haven't found anything regarding this so far.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    start a new thread @[awe]sentinel and be sure to follow these instructions:

If NS2 crashes, do not close any windows, even if its a black screen or error. Navigate to your NS2 install folder and run techsupport.exe. This will make a potentially large dump file (inside the zip that techsupport.exe makes, there will be a folder called "minidump") that you can then upload to somewhere online (like Drop box) and provide a link to it in here or to a dev. This dump file is the fastest, most accurate method to catch a crash!