Build 250 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Having had a fair few games now I for one quite like it. Aliens feels fun, skulk especially once i'd got used to the movement. Unlearning muscle memory is a bastard.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited June 2013
    *snip * Removed inflammatory post - Ironhorse
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    edited June 2013
    The Fade is growing on me. I absolutely loathed it before on the BT servers but now that they forced it into the game I'm kinda liking it after a few hours. Still, Shadowstep feels worthless outside combat as it doesn't add any momentum anymore.

Skulk is MUCH better. Begone you ugly 25/50 dmg bitecone, now I can actually kill rines!
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    XoPhyte wrote: »
    A couple of other observations as I learn this new patch...

Flamethrower is overpowered
    Jetpacks move entirely too fast .

Flamethrower yes! Oh god they hurt now. I think it's a change in the right direction, before 250 they were pretty useless, but it's gone too far. I think GLs also might of been buffed a little too much as well. Doesn't feel like Aliens really have any response to either of them.

Jetpacks, there ok. They aren't that much better than before and they cost a bit more as well.
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    Emoo wrote: »
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    Many people do not "have fun" unless they win.

There's a big difference from catering to those people and catering to those who are happy losing, but want to get a decent game out of it. Don't just discard the fun argument because of a minority of people who need to win every game to enjoy it.

I discount it when it is the only argument presented. It is sophistry at best when people use it as their only argument. If that poster had said "the tutorials are lacking, I can't practice because the teams are too stacked and it is no fun getting repeatedly curb stomped by better players who won't even teams" I probably wouldn't have commented at all.

Besides, I did say "tread lightly" not "STFU l2p n00b!" ;)

I think the lack of accessibility was what he was trying to get at. Which is a function of both the lackluster training and the frequent encounters of much better players.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Loke wrote: »
    The Fade is growing on me. I absolutely loathed it before on the BT servers but now that they forced it into the game I'm kinda liking it after a few hours. Still, Shadowstep feels worthless outside combat as it doesn't add any momentum anymore.

Skulk is MUCH better. Begone you ugly 25/50 dmg bitecone, now I can actually kill rines!
    I can relate.
    I felt the exact same way.. hated it at first.. but as i used it more and more i came to like it.
    I found that blink is primarily meant for travel (thats why its predictable and available from the get go) and Shadowstep is purely meant for dodging in combat, to an effective degree above what vanilla offered. Dont be afraid to use vertical movement.. marines have a hard time adjusting to the Z axis during chaotic moments :-P

And yes.. changes like these should have been mentioned in the changelog next to each item so the user doesn't have to play for X amount of time to discover it.
    But on the other hand it does cut down on the "just read the changelog and omg i hate it" posts..
    I think a one time, brief 15-20 sec forced video for all users, could adequately explain the new walljumping and fade movement.

Btw: The grenade launcher changes were introduced in previous patches, not this one. (extended capacity, clientside predicted and therefore no whip whacking)
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    They killed the game

I saw this post, and the faith in humanity got restored in me.

The post is so constructive, it tells everything with good explanations. I don't get how someone could not take it seriously!

Overall a 5/5 post.

• joejoejoejoejoejoe Join Date: 2013-06-29 Member: 185777Members
    I actually had to create an account and sign up to these forums - something I probably would have never done if it wasn't for this horrible build. Whoever designed this needs a frontal lobotomy. The balance is horrific, the games last forever, the upgrade tree on the aliens is insane, and I could go on. I saw 4 marines shoot a hive an unloaded all 5 clips in it. It didn't drop past 95 with a single gorge healing it along with a single crag. What the heck is with that???? That's over 1000 rounds and the hive didn't even blink. The exos are made of paper now. Level 3 armor is 415 and death is so quick. Arcs are so slow I must as well not even bother.

But seriously, the alien upgrade tree is insane.

It takes the aliens exactly 5 seconds to take down power and then a base. The marines can't even come close to that.

Just horrible. Switch it back. And then never ever design a game again. Get into embalming or something where you can't do any more damage.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Not playing this game till they remove most of this update. (which they better do soon)
  • ThermalThermal Join Date: 2013-06-29 Member: 185778Members
    I really never comment on forums but I have to for NS2. This modification has destroyed the game. In combat mode tier 2 bile bomb for gorges is broke, it dissappears if you also choose camo and camo doesn't work for aliens. Exo's, Fades, and Onos are now worthless. This update has taken an awesome game and turned it into a waste of time. Good thing I have other games.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Some things need a tweak here and there but overall I like how this build is forcing team work. I've been playing team oriented games for years and this feels like a step in the right direction. There will be lots of new players coming to fill the ranks of those who develop a sour taste for this title.

I know 3 people who pretty much didn't care for the game until this build. After I convinced them to play some more it is growing on them.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If this was like the game was like at release, and then b249 was added in an update, we would be seeing the exact same reactions.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Thermal wrote: »
    In combat mode tier 2 bile bomb for gorges is broke, it dissappears if you also choose camo and camo doesn't work for aliens. Exo's, Fades, and Onos are now worthless. This update has taken an awesome game and turned it into a waste of time. Good thing I have other games.
    If you mean combat the mod:
    Combat is not made or maintained by UWE, it is a mod the server owner optionally runs.
    Whatever mods and server owners do is their business, and is not part of this patch.

If you mean in the vanilla game:
    Gorge BB was Tier 2 in the last patch as well. But in any case, it's effectiveness has been reduced recently.
    I can see a problem with too many gorges though, considering their cheap cost.

As for the feedback regarding Onos and Exo health - @sewlek or anyone else can correct me if i'm wrong, but the previous values created OP scenarios where a team would give up when the Dual exo train began, not to mention how many considered the high health values to be skill-less, requiring very little from the player. Now you have to be more coordinated with your team to survive, comebacks are more frequent, and getting a T3 lifeform / technology does not automatically mean the round is over.

To compensate, Exos actually do more damage now than previously, when Weapons 3 are researched.
    They also are a magnitude faster - oh and can use their thrusters horizontally for dodging! (Shift key in any direction)

This makes for a faster, more tense, human-like upgrade that scales with the rest of the game - instead of the previous "dull, slow, tanky, disconnected from the rest of the game" approach.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I am so very proud of Unknown Worlds at this moment. They've managed to accomplish something that you normally only find in AAA games like Starcraft and WoW. Namely: getting hordes of players crawling out of the woodwork to reflexively complain about something being changed, as if the sky were falling, nay, as if the very earth were cracking open to swallow them whole.

[sniff] UWE, you're all grown up now. You can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the big boys.
  • OgraitOgrait Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164306Members
    Can someone clarify, Is drifters invisible with shade hive?
    I know they are visible with crag or shift, but how about shade?

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ograit wrote: »

They are visible regardless of hive type.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

They are cloaked by shades themselves though.
  • EndymionisEndymionis Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185727Members
    I think the biggest issue here, is not the individual changes, but rather the implementation of the build. Georgeous had the feeling of adding to the game, b250 has the feeling of just altering it.
    It was too much, too fast. Yes, a new build has been announced, but who has the time to read all that, after 249 builds? I just figured it would be good.

Also, on taking feedback from the community. It seems like most of the feedback is taken from the ones that play the bt-mod, who are already favorable towards the changes. Naturally the people who did not like the mod has not been as involved.

Note that I have been playing b250 for many hours, and I do like some of the changes, like the spread on the lmg. It should be lmg for medium and close distance and pistol for sniping. Perhaps I am just being nostalgic though.

I think it will be very valuable for dev's to reflect upon the fact that everyone calls b249 (and I'm assuming the b249-revert-mod as well) for "vanilla," and b250 is still referred to as a balance test.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    joejoejoe wrote: »
    I saw 4 marines shoot a hive an unloaded all 5 clips in it. It didn't drop past 95 with a single gorge healing it along with a single crag. What the heck is with that???? That's over 1000 rounds and the hive didn't even blink.

That would have been the same in build 249. Afaik, neither lmg damage was nerfed nor was healspray, crag or hive hp buffed.
    Also: don't shoot the hive, shoot the crag and gorge first *roll eyes*.
    joejoejoe wrote: »
    "Whoever designed this needs a frontal lobotomy.",
    "...the games last forever...",
    "...It takes the aliens exactly 5 seconds to take down power and then a base."

Frontal lobotomy much?
  • sticstic Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173265Members
    After having played for more than 500 hrs, I don't want to learn a new gameplay. It was good like it was. I was having fun.
    What disturbs me the most is not the tech tree changes but the new feeling when moving.

I want to play the version of this game like it was before. I don't like this one and I will not play it anymore.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    coolitic wrote: »
    Not playing this game till they remove most of this update. (which they better do soon)

Agreed, because the first part of this post seems like a good idea.

• Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    edited June 2013
    I've never played BT -mod so all these changes are new to me. And I like it! I feel the new movement mechanics are better than before, though not intuitive. After practising 30 mins alone I learned to move well enough to join the fight.
    Skulks feel way more powerful now. Fades are fun to play, too. As a fade, I found myself killing marines more than before. Maybe I just had a good day.
    New evolve -prices cut waiting time for aliens as long as you're extra careful until you get your upgrades, too.
    Aura felt like overpowered wallhack and removed some of the tension (in a bad way) since you knew exactly how many marines was ahead and even in what shape they were. Way too strong and boring upgrade.
    From marine side, always researchable jetpacks and 1-gun-exos are my favorites. Welding, on the other hand, feels more forced now. I would like to actually do something else than weld those clumsy buffoons a.k.a. teammates all the time. And this comes from a player who liked to often weld people, structures and gorges before this build. Make armories give armor fast and welders slow!
    Exos and arcs are more fragile now, but that doesn't annoy at all unlike constant welding of people...
    All in all, this build feels like an upgrade from before :)

Edit: Putting aside the build changes, the sheer amount of these changes is a bit overwhelming. It would have been easier to digest it all, if they would have come in 2 or 3 separate patches. Too much is too much, even if it's cake.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I do pity the poor new players, they're new and don't understand a lot, then there's the vets who also are getting used to it and can't answer questions for the poor new buggers.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    I do pity the poor new players, they're new and don't understand a lot, then there's the vets who also are getting used to it and can't answer questions for the poor new buggers.

I see this as more of a plus because the number of players who know exactly how to play best in order to totally destroy the other team is much lower. Sure, the more experienced players will learn faster than the new ones but there's much more of a level playing field in terms of game knowledge to begin with.
  • ZaliZali Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185668Members
    So far so good I think. I've been massacring newbies all day!
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

They are cloaked by shades themselves though.

Not well enough, their cloak looks like a lifeforms phantom cloak so its kinda easy to pick them out of a shaded room.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Don't like the new fade movement and the flame thrower is crazily powerful. I preferred the BT mod.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Endymionis wrote: »
    Also, on taking feedback from the community. It seems like most of the feedback is taken from the ones that play the bt-mod, who are already favorable towards the changes. Naturally the people who did not like the mod has not been as involved.

Actually there were many players like myself who despised the BT mod in early development and put a lot of time and effort into giving feedback to make it where it is today and now I'm happy.

It has always been possible to do this from players like yourself with the btmod servers and perhaps if people took the opportunity to go in and give feedback (There was an article from UWE telling people how to do this) then they might perhaps be happy as well.

TL;DR I didn't like the BTmod but I played it to give feedback to the changes.
    It was foolish for other people who didn't like it to not give feedback.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    peregrinus wrote: »
    Don't like the new fade movement and the flame thrower is crazily powerful. I preferred the BT mod.

The flamethrower was in the BT mod for a while in its current state, the problem really came when advanced weaponry was removed as a separate tech letting you rush GL and flamer much faster and more cheaply than before. Current BT mod has that tech requirement back in place and I wouldn't be surprised if it was patched in quickly.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Being one of the advocates for no separate FT / GL research, I think I'm beginning to see why it's a better idea to have it there. In my defense, that was when flamethrowers were next to useless and the GL reload rate was twice as long. Getting access at a few minutes to weapons that don't scale with weapon upgrades has resulted in a few ruined public games I've joined.