Domination issue in NS2

IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
Just played 4 rounds of ns2, all took about 40 minutes or so. All were domination rounds; where one team dominates the other while the other team can't push out. You cannot expect players to compensate for the design issues that cause this problem.

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Too early to tell as people need time to get used to the new game. This happened in BT also.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Happened in the beta days also. There was a good couple weeks where aliens had a ~70% chance of winning.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Bellicose wrote: »
    No joke dude. But played about 5 games in a row and each time we had a comeback when almost down and out - both as aliens and marines. Never would have happened in vanilla. Helluva an upset each time for the other team.

This new build is so fantastic! So so so much more fun now!

Yep, some pretty crazy comebacks happen now. Also sometimes you can't even tell who's winning, much more intense when you have a nice even game (team wise)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't forget there's a sale right now, so a lot of new blood. The game's outcome is typically decided by which team has the least number of greens.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    Each time I jumped in BT it seemed that one or two players dominated. The rest floundered badly. I exitted BT a number of times as it simply wasnt fun and too different. sure there is the "learn to play the new!" aspect but why should the game change fundamentally every few patches? I simply pisses me off - I just want to play, not learn new fade techniques each time or get gls early or wonder WTF this biomass thing is or why I suddenly only have 450 armour on my cheaper onos etc.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm not seeing more comebacks now, but definitely more stalemates. Breaking turtles appears to be more difficult. Had a 1h match where marines just surrendered on 2 tech points after arcing and killing many hives but at the same time losing one of their bases. In the ready room, they all said they were bored and fed up, not a single one said they had a good game. The alien upgrade tree changes are great, but overall the game is much less interesting and 'flat' now. The bouncy bouncy mode of fades and skulks adds to this: after an hour of non stop pseudo-bunnyhopping, there's not much desire to play any more games :/
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    How can stacked matches last for 40 minutes?
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    Marines turtling is worse in this build. We played a game (on aliens) and it was an interesting round but after 20 minutes we finally get more map control, pushing back marines in flight control at around 25/30 min.
    And then the game lasted another 20 minutes, because marines have jetpacks with one command station, because they spam grenade launcher (15 pres only) and because onos is more weak than before. On pub play it's hard to get very coordinated attacks to take down a marine base, it's harder now which is frustrating. We had to wait until we can drop 8 onos eggs (100 tres each) and then rush together to end it.
    Aliens need a way to end a game if they dominate it at the end. It was on a 18 slots server.
  • MkollMkoll Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182996Members
    edited June 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I'm not seeing more comebacks now, but definitely more stalemates. Breaking turtles appears to be more difficult. Had a 1h match where marines just surrendered on 2 tech points after arcing and killing many hives but at the same time losing one of their bases. In the ready room, they all said they were bored and fed up, not a single one said they had a good game. The alien upgrade tree changes are great, but overall the game is much less interesting and 'flat' now. The bouncy bouncy mode of fades and skulks adds to this: after an hour of non stop pseudo-bunnyhopping, there's not much desire to play any more games :/

To support the esteemed Roominator:

Stalemates become apparent very quickly in b250 but are oddly more challenging to break (as alien). As marine, you just get your 1 hive JP and faceroll.

Really disappointed with the tech tree changes myself; it's not so much a tree any more, as a fence post. Two dimensional, not flexible to preference. Biomass just seems like an obstacle rather than a benefit.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Killing many hives, losing bases... sorry; if you dont enjoy the objectives maybe this game isn't for you?
    Stalemates show balance maybe?
    Not a single person said they had fun, but did every player comment?

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Mkoll wrote: »

To support the esteemed Roominator:

Stalemates become apparent very quickly in b250 but are oddly more challenging to break (as alien). As marine, you just get your 1 hive JP and faceroll.

Really disappointed with the tech tree changes myself; it's not so much a tree any more, as a fence post. Two dimensional, not flexible to preference. Biomass just seems like an obstacle rather than a benefit.

If you are turtled on 1 CC, kill the res and slowly kill the marines and their Pres with get so low they can't afford JPs.
    If you can't kill JPs.... maybe they deserve to win.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    By the way, if the game got to this point then you obviously could afford Fades to get rid of their JPs. If your Fades couldn't... well... maybe the marines deserved to win indeed.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    I have to disagree with OP. There have been games that I've played in 250 that have had some amazing comebacks (which I'm normally on the end of).

Aliens got to 3 Hives on Mineshaft, had pretty much all the tech unlocked, but hadn't been scouting Deposit or Operations for a long while as we had been fighting over Central Drilling for a while. If we had been playing 249, that would have been "gg" a LONG time ago, what with numerous Onos out on the field, but suddenly... 3 Exos standing in Sorting supported by a small ARC train... we didn't stand a chance. On the receiving end unfortunately, but so much fun to play still.

Games last longer, and if you watched some of the matches in the Balance Cup (*expects rah rah competitive players rant*), you will see that the game is definitely not over until it's over.

Whilst I'm not a fan of some changes yet, I think this is the biggest change for the better.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    nachos wrote: »

Killing many hives, losing bases... sorry; if you dont enjoy the objectives maybe this game isn't for you?
    Stalemates show balance maybe?
    Not a single person said they had fun, but did every player comment?

I personally enjoyed the game (the first one I properly learned how to use the fade movement in combat, those deaths were from skulk early game). I'd say 5 or 6 of those marines said they didn't enjoy it when we hit the ready room. I can't say what the others thought. A few left during the match (with comments like 'this is retarded, hate the patch I'm off') - maybe 3 people left during the mid game I think. Stalemates show balance? Rofl. The problem is that aliens don't really have a bunker buster, short of everyone save for onos and do a mass rush at the end, which is really tedious. And also not going to happen on most pub servers. This isn't an issue for comp games, as you have the decency to concede when the game is actually lost (plus you don't get people like me not going onos because it's the first game I really got the hang of fade in and I was doing rather well).

The problem of marine turtling, which was largely resolved by b249, is back.

As Mkoll says, the biomass system doesn't really give quite the level of flexibility that it probably should. Don't get me wrong, the ability to drop different structures on 1 hive is great, as are the upgrades for aliens now. Part of the problem for me is the linearity of the ability upgrade tree linked to biomass. Take vortex, for example. In what way is vortex so good, you can't have it before you have what, 6 or 7 biomass? One alternative way this could be improved is to allow all abilities to be researched at any level of biomass, but only 1 ability per biomass level, and make them cost more if they're strong abilities researched very early, and cheaper the more biomass you get. As an alternative to variable cost, use prerequisite abilities per lifeform, like spores before/after umbra, xeno after leap etc as an alternative to having variable cost.

StrikerX3 wrote: »
    By the way, if the game got to this point then you obviously could afford Fades to get rid of their JPs. If your Fades couldn't... well... maybe the marines deserved to win indeed.

I'm getting moderately good with the fade now, but I'm finding killing JP marines harder than is used to be (likely because of the combination of shotgun rof increase 18% while only slightly lower damage with massively improved jetpack mobility). Couple that with the viability of spamming sentries in chokepoints meaning fades have to be uber careful with positioning and escape routes, and JP/SGs now have it better than they ever have.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    StrikerX3 wrote: »

I'm getting moderately good with the fade now, but I'm finding killing JP marines harder than is used to be (likely because of the combination of shotgun rof increase 18% while only slightly lower damage with massively improved jetpack mobility). Couple that with the viability of spamming sentries in chokepoints meaning fades have to be uber careful with positioning and escape routes, and JP/SGs now have it better than they ever have.

Yeah, the improved JP mobility makes it harder, but make good use of the shadowstep ability and you'll be in their faces no matter what they do. If you don't have shadowstep it's definitely harder, but not impossible.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I've seen this problem both ways, it seems to come down to how willing the less skilled alien players are to suicidally gorge rush with their team. If someone knows that they're not going to be useful as a skulk there's almost no reason for them to not go gorge and abuse BB to support the fades who can do a great job at clearing out marines but are hopelessly slow at killing structures. In the games where I played as marines and the aliens used a lot of gorges along with a couple of good fades it was more or less impossible to do anything - gorges sniped all our PGs and RTs while fades harassed marines all over the map.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    When I think of "Domination Game" I don't think 40 minutes. . .

I'd comment further, but the details of the OP are very vague
    All I can really add is that the few games I did play of the balance patch before release were fine
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    Just played 4 rounds of ns2, all took about 40 minutes or so. All were domination rounds; where one team dominates the other while the other team can't push out. You cannot expect players to compensate for the design issues that cause this problem.

The game will always be this way, its the way RTS usually goes.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I want to see this ns2stats elo in action! is it effective?
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    I would suggest everyone take a break from playing in pubs if you know whats going on for the weekend, having so many greens is really annoying and its no fun for the nubs to be crushed by you either.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    statikg wrote: »
    I would suggest everyone take a break from playing in pubs if you know whats going on for the weekend, having so many greens is really annoying and its no fun for the nubs to be crushed by you either.

Or use this as an opportunity to comm and get accustomed to the alien tech changes!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    Nothing that happens this weekend can be used for data analysis. Servers are flooded with first timers.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Interesting... When concede option came, I saw a lot of people complaining about the death of the awesome marine one base last stands... Now they're back and people complain about it... Interesting...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    statikg wrote: »
    Or i command for them, and teach them constantly....?
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    To those claiming that we should ignore these problems because they're caused by greens... I don't agree to that.

This is a problem with NS2 itself, new players should still be able to be inherently useful. The game mechanics need to give them something to do that's effective, intuitive and also fun.

You're going to hate me for this but, one reason call of duty 4 and up are so successful at getting new players and retaining them (so they can then get better) is the grenade launcher, A.K.A. the noob tube.

This video explains things better than I can.
    edited June 2013
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    To those claiming that we should ignore these problems because they're caused by greens... I don't agree to that.

This is a problem with NS2 itself, new players should still be able to be inherently useful. The game mechanics need to give them something to do that's effective, intuitive and also fun.

You're going to hate me for this but, one reason call of duty 4 and up are so successful at getting new players and retaining them (so they can then get better) is the grenade launcher, A.K.A. the noob tube.

This video explains things better than I can.

Call of duty is successful at retaining players because it's instant gratification, you sign on and immediately regardless of your opponents skill level (even if you get slaughtered) you can still kill them (at least in the new ones) you can give a dog the mouse and just hold down your fire button and eventually you'll spawn and get a kill

New players can be useful against OTHER new players, if you go onto quake and go into a high skilled duel while you're completely new, expect a 30-0 in 7 minutes; heck expect to do less than 10 damage total to your opponent and even expect to die seconds after spawning

It's not AS brutal in natural selection, but the issue is in the core fact that matches of uneven skill occur far too often and this is a turn off. I know if I was facing someone who could 30-0 me that I'd need to go in a lower bracket until I'm good enough to face that person. You can't spoonfeed in a video game this is what is ruining games

So in my opinion and stand-point, ns2 needs an in-game tutorial system on a blank single hall map/bot match explaining all aspects and both commanders and a way for people (if they wish to) to compete in 6v6 matches of players with equal skill, yatta yatta small playerbase lets be honest brackets can do the job just fine. For players like myself, simply starting up the game; going to youtube and watching a movement video and then watching two competitive matches from youtube both alien and marine side is enough to teach me the game and the meta, the rest is experience I'll learn along the way.. but apparently these type of gamers are scarce now and we need auto-aim grenade launchers with a 10000xp popup to keep us playing

COD4 is a separate beast and was successful due to
    1) Mods
    2) proper dedicated servers
    3) Console variables/configs
    4) Active modding community and a highly active competitive/pro scene
    5) Leveling system, people are addicted to grinding/rewards

edited June 2013
    Oh and here's a good picture for the issue above

http://i.imgur.com/owPe3mv.jpg