Advanced movement in 250

MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
6haQVKh.png
A thread for sorting out the messy bits.

Okay so here's ezekiels video, which I presume is the only material right now? (Advanced & Fade videos same user.)

It's nice (altho ezzy, pwease make a tiny script next time so you don't dawdle around so much :P) but leaves me with a couple of questions:

1. Does the svcheats debugspeed work correctly right now so you can test bunnyhopping properly?

2. Holding A/D while strafing, does letting go of either strafe at any point decrease speed, or is it only required when hitting the ground, or what?

3. Is there any reason not to crouch all the time as a Fade? Assuming you're just moving around with bunnyhop.

4. Theoretical silliness: How would bunnyhopping work without A/D keys? Using only the mouse to "snake along"? (Like I think it was in NS1...)

5. Is bunnyhopping related somehow to the fact that Skulks and Marines can't jump NE or NW anymore? (Northeast, northwest.) Jumping NE or NW simply makes you jump forward. Feels quite awkward.

(Please keep the "bunnyhopping is horrible and I hate everyone" to a minimum, mostly talking mechanics here. :3)

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Changed your topic title so as not to misrepresent what the feature is.
    It is NOT bunny hopping.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Okay. We'll see if bunnyh- I mean advanced bunnyho- I mean advanced movement will catch on as a term. :P
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2013
    I freestyled my videos and didn't have a script, I like to be realistic; if I had editing software I would have skipped from part to part with timestamps but I only just got recording software so all I did was raw footage in a single take

1. Does the svcheats debugspeed work correctly right now so you can test bunnyhopping properly?

Debug speed worked, I just didn't use it because this wasn't the final version and I knew speeds would change; you can no longer go this fast
    2. Holding A/D while strafing, does letting go of either strafe at any point decrease speed, or is it only required when hitting the ground, or what?

If you don't let go of either key, then I'd assume it'd so the same as holding forward and backward, it would do nothing aka not move you. Strafing is for turning and nothing more
    3. Is there any reason not to crouch all the time as a Fade? Assuming you're just moving around with bunnyhop.

The version displayed was when fade would automatically crouch when using blink iirc
    4. Theoretical silliness: How would bunnyhopping work without A/D keys? Using only the mouse to "snake along"? (Like I think it was in NS1...)

This isn't like gldsrc engine, you can gain speed by holding W and jumping along a wall; for a fade you jump and tap blink and then continue to jump to maintain speed, walking/staying on the ground is what applies ground friction and this is what slows you down
    5. Is bunnyhopping related somehow to the fact that Skulks and Marines can't jump NE or NW anymore? (Northeast, northwest.) Jumping NE or NW simply makes you jump forward. Feels quite awkward.

You should be able to jump any direction afaik, try strafing into your desired direction after a jump
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    ezekel wrote: »

You should be able to jump any direction afaik, try strafing into your desired direction after a jump

Hes correct with point 5, you can't jump diagonally in 250, only in the direction you're facing. You can turn loads in the air using the mouse, but he means jump looking forward while moving slightly diagonally.

As for what to call the new movement I'd go for chaining or chain jumping, as it's all about combining different movements together - walljump, ground jumps, leap etc to build/maintain speed.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Zek wrote: »
    Holding A/D is not required at any point
    As I said, this is not a thread about whether or not you like the mechanic - it's about discussing the mechanic.
    I freestyled my videos and didn't have a script, I like to be realistic; if I had editing software I would have skipped from part to part with timestamps but I only just got recording software so all I did was raw footage in a single take
    I was just thinking about like a list of things to say in a post-it note so you don't have to think about stuff mid video. :D But yeah nevermind my lazy viewer butt.
    If you don't let go of either key, then I'd assume it'd so the same as holding forward and backward, it would do nothing aka not move you. Strafing is for turning and nothing more
    Urrh, but if you do let go? And does the mouse turn need to be consistent or just when hitting the floor? These are tiny details I know, just wondering if anyone knows...
    This isn't like gldsrc engine
    Yes, I completely forgot that all the air-accel silliness belonged to that engine alone. *sigh* Good times.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Holding A/D is not required at any point
    As I said, this is not a thread about whether or not you like the mechanic - it's about discussing the mechanic.
    I was just thinking about like a list of things to say in a post-it note so you don't have to think about stuff mid video. :D But yeah nevermind my lazy viewer butt.
    Urrh, but if you do let go? And does the mouse turn need to be consistent or just when hitting the floor? These are tiny details I know, just wondering if anyone knows...
    This isn't like gldsrc engine
    Yes, I completely forgot that all the air-accel silliness belonged to that engine alone. *sigh* Good times.

I am discussing the mechanic. Your post seemed to echo some very common misconceptions about how it works, so I explained how it works in an attempt to prevent further confusion. The system is fundamentally very simple, and people should be introduced to the core concepts before strafing is even mentioned. You mentioned mouse movements when hitting the floor this time - nope, NS2 bunnyhopping has almost nothing to do with mouse movements.
    You told people to stop reading my thread, saying strafing isn't required, while clearly admitting it has benefits.

THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT DISCUSSING THE MECHANIC, FOR GODS SAKE. I do not care about what you "think people should be introduced to".

IronHorse, please remove that promote.

This is NOT an opinion thread.
    I am discussing the mechanic.
    Now you know how to bhop in NS2 - you can stop reading now. Yes, really.

Yeah, you're a real delight to discuss with.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm trying to discuss it, for your benefit and everyone else's, if you'd listen. You had questions about how it worked, I posted an explanation. People are very confused and misinformation is flying all over the place as a direct result of the public fixation on this one small detail of the larger mechanic.

To answer you more explicitly, losing speed happens during any turn in midair. Each degree you turn, a little speed is lost, unless you are holding strafe. Hitting the ground doesn't change your speed one way or the other.
    Well sorry to say you're one of those spreading misinformation. A/D strafing increases your speed. I'm certain of that.

About the hitting ground part - I'm specifically interested what are the minimal requirements for A/D strafing. Lets see if I can explain that better - in what ways can you fumble AND STILL keep gaining speed with A/D strafing? That's the biggie.
    It increases your speed marginally, but not enough to be worth doing a snaking motion to gain speed. You will get where you're going faster by travelling in straight lines, walljumping where possible(parallel to the wall) and turning only when needed. For all practical intents and purposes, the mechanic is simply a way to prevent speed loss.

From that perspective, there isn't really a minimum goal for A/D - you can never strafe at all and still gain speed if you're "bunnyhopping" effectively. But the more you do strafe, the less often you will dip in speed.
    edited June 2013
    Yes, yes, you're still intent on discussing the purpose and value of the mechanic. I hope we can stay on topic from now on. Not that anyone feels like continuing after this mess...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    What is the topic, exactly?
    Your OP is only asking questions, have they now been answered?.. is that all, if you did not want to discuss the mechanic itself?

Zek appears to be discussing it intricately and in a helpful, approach-able manner.... ?
    His post that i promoted is helpful and factual. There's literally zero opinions or incorrect information in that post. The promotion remains.

And he actually didn't say anywhere for anyone to stop reading the thread...? He said the reader could stop reading his sentence or explanation of the mechanic because it was that simple.
    Its a popular literary device in sales : "Read no further, this is all you need to know about X" ... you are taking it personally, unnecessarily.

And btw: strafing is not required... you'd have to strafe jump 17 times to gain the same speed as 1 wall jump.

So lastly, what is the topic, exactly?
    IronHorse wrote: »
    And btw: strafing is not required...
    Opinion and misinformation.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    strafe jump 17 times to gain the same speed as 1 wall jump.
    Mechanics.

There you go. Might as well lock this thread now, it's not going anywhere.

Good night.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Despite the OP, thanks for the information. I was certainly curious on a few things myself and had somewhat ascertained that wall jumping was the clear victor in terms of gaining speed while I was trying to do that with what I assumed to be the old style bunnyhopping (which did not go as well as I thought).

Let's not lock the thread as this is pretty important information. And if your'e going to start a thread with a question let's at least try to be reasonable about the answers you get. All of it makes quite a bit of sense when you put it into practice.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Cobra, you can gain speed with A/D and mouse move on jump. You don't need to alternate a and d either, it only counts at the point of jumping at the floor. You can do a continuous circle with the mouse such that you're moving say clockwise about the axis of forward motion, ie at the floor, you're always moving mouse right to left. Provided you're holding a at the jump point, you will continue gaining speed.

I have used this in the ready room as fade to build up to top speed (no blink) by moving in figure of 8. Takes some time to get to top speed!

Walljump/blink obviously gets you started and can top up speed with each if you make a mistake, but essentially you can chain together two walljumps, or blink once to get top speed, and continue with pseudo BH ad infinitum. Watch out for stairs, the jump timing is hard!

Crouching as fade is useful. Wish it was toggle as there's no need not to crouch at all now, ever. It would look even more ridiculous than the stupid bouncing rabbits we currently have, but aesthetics have clearly no place at all in the new movement system. I don't crouch all the time as I start to get cramp holding down all these buttons all the time, but the clipping issues are worse if you don't crouch, I think. I've lost a few fades to getting stuck on observatories, marines and extractors. Very frustrating. Might just have to work through the cramp and see if crouch actually does resolve the clipping issues.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Crouching as fade is useful. Wish it was toggle as there's no need not to crouch at all now, ever. It would look even more ridiculous than the stupid bouncing rabbits we currently have, but aesthetics have clearly no place at all in the new movement system. I don't crouch all the time as I start to get cramp holding down all these buttons all the time, but the clipping issues are worse if you don't crouch, I think. I've lost a few fades to getting stuck on observatories, marines and extractors. Very frustrating. Might just have to work through the cramp and see if crouch actually does resolve the clipping issues.

Agree with this, fades in midair or blinking should just use the crouching collision box. It's way too annoying to have this requirement to hold down crouch in order to have the lowest possible chance of getting stuck on something.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It would look even more ridiculous than the stupid bouncing rabbits we currently have, but aesthetics have clearly no place at all in the new movement system.
    So true :)

On a related note, I hope the Fade gets a proper directional Shadow Step "swoosh" effect in the next update. Something more related to the blue SS swirl would be awesome.

Maybe the current "speed blur" could be used for top-speed forward movement (instead of Skulk panting) instead?