Build 250 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Okay I've tried to pin down this fade clipping bug (and before you ask, yes I can play the new fade). I have been clipped on the top of an extractor, and get clipped on marines quite a lot. That particular game I spent being desperately careful to avoid getting stuck, which was fine, but the very next game I lost my fade very quickly through getting stuck on a marine again.
    For people who don't know how to fade, this is probably the least of their problems with the new fade. For those of us who do, it can be devastating (and if you're the fade keeping the team together... it's pretty much gg).

Really need to get to the bottom of this one. @Ironhorse, any ideas?
    Nothings reported - got any detailed reproduction steps?
    Will investigate, and thanks!
  • Tom-RTom-R Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178515Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Kine wrote: »
    What in the world gives you the impression that your feedback would fall on deaf ears??
    Every single thing in this patch is a direct result of listening to player feedback... Many from these very forums.

Thank you for your well written feedback, as well.

While I think you actually care about what people have to say good or bad, unfortunately there are other moderators who do not want to hear anything bad. This community is toxic and moderators corrupt. Thats why people feel their feedback falls on deaf ears.

I had a member from the Australian NS2 Community add me on steam and inform me that the post I made below(the first one in the list) was closed arbitrarily based off of a private communication on their forums. I was given the impression the correspondence was similar to, "Hey I don't like that this guy does not like the Balance Test Changes. Please close his thread."

I for one feel extremely alienated by your company's public face and think that your community management is a joke.

Examples(All of which are locked):
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130682/balance-test-changes-constructive-skulk-movement-discussion#latest
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130717/all-games-die-eventually#latest
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130701/i-hate-balance-test#latest
    I recognize your concern, but I truly don't think you experienced corrupt moderation, i think you experienced mods reacting to said toxicity from certain users.
    I obviously can't speak for other mods, but each of those threads had plenty of reasons to be closed, except for yours. (i would have just edited, nuked, warned the offending users)
    Just look at the one with 10 troll flags on the OP?? But i do understand that sometimes a thread offers nothing but a platform for more of those certain users.. and there's just no saving it.

My signature links are a great example of the unavoidable typhoon that is passion through anonymity. (end result sometimes leads to hyper aggression)

But this community is FAR FAR better than the majority of gaming communities that you will ever find!
    Go ahead and read through EA forums, or any other triple AAA title's forums... yeesh..

So not only are the number of trouble makers smaller, but our community contributes to the product waaayyy more!

From maps that have gone official,
    to art in game
    to our mapping and play testing teams
    to a huge amount of server and client mods
    to mentorship programs
    to tech support volunteers
    to bug reporting
    to server hosting
    to catching hackers and griefers
    to infecting the internet with ns2 media
    to assisting with PAX and other media events
    to helping shape this game in more ways than almost any released game i know for 3 years now.

Oh yea... and donating over $9,000 to my wife and I after a major fire that tanked us financially.

So... yes, just like any community there will be some bad apples... but in my humble and probably biased opinion, this is still one of the best game communities out there.
    Be part of it, give your feedback as accurately and detailed as you can. The mods will do their best to be fair, but will also attempt to cull those bad apples.
    /love letter to the community
    :bz

(p.s. you should start that thread again.)

Gonna have to go out and say I'll agree with that fact that most gaming communities are terrible and experience rampant bias and censorship.

However, I'm going to also agree with Kine and say from the most of which I've seen on these forums, the devs and moderators take things extremely personally. Some of the comments from the devs are downright obnoxious, and they should acknowledge that they really shouldn't post to everything, especially if they can't control emotions. Secondly, the mods tend to censor anything with a negative opinion, especially on the balance mod. It's really not cool.

Also, home insurance really helps with fires and stuff, its also mandatory with a home that's under mortgage. What went wrong?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    @tom-r
    One can deliver feedback in a civil manner.
    Cursing, yelling, inflammatory remarks, being condescending and just plain being unpleasant to other forum members is what will get you edited.
    Not "negativity"

Its all about the delivery, not the content. :)
    /derailing
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah the Fade seems to clip on many walls and structures a lot now.
    That's about my only complaint.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited June 2013
    Inzann wrote: »
    What bothers me is that you, the devs decided to implement all these features in one big package instead of pushing them out one by one to see what people think about it. Most of us pubbers didn't play the BT, some didn't even understand all those changes were going to be added to the game. This feels so much different and even though I like some of the new features theres a lot I dislike and I for sure ain't the only one. I feel like you really fucked us over with this. When I first bought the game it was one of the most fun and unique FPS games I have ever played. I practiced so many hours trying to get good at the game and now I have to learn the new movement system again, which is one of the things I hate most with this patch. Skulks movement and fade changes. Ugh..
    UWE explained before that Sewlek was in charge of balancing the game with Flayra busy working on other things. If you checked out the BT mod, you would have noticed a lot of work going into some of the changes (movement system, biomass), which would have most likely made it into b250. I didn't want to waste much time getting used to the changes upon release, so I checked out BT and was completely ready for b250.

The new skulk/fade movement took some getting used to since I used to suck at strafe jumping, but I quickly adapted using video tutorials that explained them clearly. I agree that it will take some time for players to learn if they only try to grind it out in-game. There aren't that many complex changes to learn besides the biomass system and the already-mentioned alien movement, though. FPS games like TF2 have rocket/nade jumping, juking methods, and general game sense that aren't acquired easily if you only play the game. Research has always been key to quickly learning advanced game mechanics instead of trying to grind experience.

I think nearly everyone who takes the time to properly learn the new movement system will favor it over the old one. Gone are the days of losing nearly all of your momentum after a wall jump. Gone is the low-risk, high-reward shadowstep jump spamming that infuriated most marines. Skulks can now easily preserve momentum after wall jumping and gain a bit of speed during turns. Fade gameplay is now riskier (more predictable), but the reward is high for those who use blink smartly.
  • Tom-RTom-R Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178515Members
    @tom-r
    One can deliver feedback in a civil manner.
    Cursing, yelling, inflammatory remarks, being condescending and just plain being unpleasant to other forum members is what will get you edited.
    Not "negativity"

Its all about the delivery, not the content. :)
    /derailing

That's a broad statement, I assume it's personally directed, and that I have some sort of vendetta. I merely said, "hey, there's a handful of posts that don't meet your criteria and they are being muted"

Your last statement is a bit of "wtf?". Your saying that I could type utter non-sense and still have it taken seriously because I sprinkled glitter on it?
    @tom-r
    No, not at all?? Didn't mean anything towards you even remotely..

And to clarify the last sentence : I was highlighting the distinction between how a user delivers their content, and the content itself, and how only one of those two could ever result in forum moderation. (delivery)
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Glad to have been able to help Chris, even if only in a small way - the NS2 community IS fantastic when you look at some of the things that have happened (and I only know a few of them) - like the surprise Gorge Pinata the playtesters made and delivered, a collection for one of the playtesters (who was giving his own time and experience for free) whose PC blew up, the large number of fans who give up their own time and go to the big game shows at their own expense in order to help out - sometimes travelling internationally - just for the love of the game and the community, and the mysterious donut deliveries to the team in the office !

I feel humbled and grateful to be allowed to help out, and we get to know many of our fellow playtesters like family. Hell, I'd go as far as swapping them for my family !
    edited June 2013
    @cyber_mage or anyone else for that matter,

Always feel free to send me messages if you think a post requires forum moderation, or if something was done unfairly.
    I can't speak for other forum mods, but my door is always open.

And fyi, mage, by my own anecdotal count i easily edit what you would consider "fanboi" users, about 3 times more than any typical forum user, as they tend to be the most "passionate" with their posts. ;)
    And i really wish you could describe what it is you do not like about the new movement, if possible?
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Someone explain why this game's on sale when there's barely any updated tutorial/updated blips
    Cyber_Mage wrote: »
    The best thing about this patch...

... is the 6.5 GB it will save me on my hard drive when I uninstall NS2. I'm seriously considering it. Call me a hater if you like, tell me "well if you feel that way go away we don't want you" because I know someone will say that, but I've played 5 full games and 3 partials so far and I just can't stand the new movement code. A lot of the team cooperative RTS aspects are pretty much gone plus so far out of the 8 games the aliens won 7 - I'm sure that will balance out with a larger dataset and over time as players learn the changes. But the real straw for me is the movement code.

I think I'm going to shelve it to see if a patch comes out in the future and we'll see what happens.

Personally I'm a consumer of commercial games, not a contributor to a typical open-source project when I buy a game, sans open-source. I didn't buy NS2 expecting the game to be dramatically re-written 9 months later. I expected that I'd have a stable gameplay experience when it came out of beta except for some minor tweaks. What just got released in my opinion should have been an optional mod or incorporated into NS 3. While UWE brags about how many patches and updates they've released, they (in my opinion) go overboard with complete game changes on a regular basis with this being the largest.

And on the negativity comments - I've noticed in this and other threads that it's okay to attack someone who dislikes any changes, but if you are posting a dislike and do similar to a fanboi you're moderated. I think Unknown Worlds staff may need some forum training classes. And I appear to be all out of glitter ;-)

/thread.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe that's why it's on sale? :P
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Sales are usually when I take a break from the game, but since I had taken a break from the game for months and movement is different it might be like I'm playing the game at release
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited June 2013
    I've played 5 full games and 3 partials so far and I just can't stand the new movement code. A lot of the team cooperative RTS aspects are pretty much gone plus so far out of the 8 games the aliens won 7 - I'm sure that will balance out with a larger dataset and over time as players learn the changes. But the real straw for me is the movement code.
    I'm curious - what exactly do you dislike about the new movement code? Just saying "I can't stand it" doesn't give UWE and Sewlek much to improve upon. Did you make the effort to learn its workings before complaining about the movement?
  • InzannInzann Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185736Members
    edited June 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    The funniest thing to me is all the people saying they've uninstalled their game. Who the hell does that anymore with the HD space we have now days? I doubt anyone (maybe one or two) truly uninstalled the game and are just trying to get more attention to their posts (which mostly contain zero useful information and just hate spam). That's pretty sad guys.
    Way to add to a discussion by focusing on the least important part of his post. What do you know about the size of his HDD? ;)

The best thing about this patch...

... is the 6.5 GB it will save me on my hard drive when I uninstall NS2. I'm seriously considering it. Call me a hater if you like, tell me "well if you feel that way go away we don't want you" because I know someone will say that, but I've played 5 full games and 3 partials so far and I just can't stand the new movement code. A lot of the team cooperative RTS aspects are pretty much gone plus so far out of the 8 games the aliens won 7 - I'm sure that will balance out with a larger dataset and over time as players learn the changes. But the real straw for me is the movement code.

I think I'm going to shelve it to see if a patch comes out in the future and we'll see what happens.

Personally I'm a consumer of commercial games, not a contributor to a typical open-source project when I buy a game, sans open-source. I didn't buy NS2 expecting the game to be dramatically re-written 9 months later. I expected that I'd have a stable gameplay experience when it came out of beta except for some minor tweaks. What just got released in my opinion should have been an optional mod or incorporated into NS 3. While UWE brags about how many patches and updates they've released, they (in my opinion) go overboard with complete game changes on a regular basis with this being the largest.

And on the negativity comments - I've noticed in this and other threads that it's okay to attack someone who dislikes any changes, but if you are posting a dislike and do similar to a fanboi you're moderated. I think Unknown Worlds staff may need some forum training classes. And I appear to be all out of glitter ;-)

On topic I have to agree with pretty much everything you said, I also really dislike the new movement. I'm not sure I was clear enough in my previous post but what you said about the game when we first bought it I agree. I bought NS2 for what it was like back then and I accepted the minor tweaks and balancing changes because they were mostly good and introducted to the game one at at a time. Now you gave us a bunch of changes all at once, some good and some shitty but now it feels different from what it was like when I bought it.

I'm not against changes and I like to keep an open mind about it but this much at once is not a good idea in my opinion.

• RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited June 2013
    Kine wrote: »
    What in the world gives you the impression that your feedback would fall on deaf ears??
    Every single thing in this patch is a direct result of listening to player feedback... Many from these very forums.

Thank you for your well written feedback, as well.

While I think you actually care about what people have to say good or bad, unfortunately there are other moderators who do not want to hear anything bad. This community is toxic and moderators corrupt. Thats why people feel their feedback falls on deaf ears.

I had a member from the Australian NS2 Community add me on steam and inform me that the post I made below(the first one in the list) was closed arbitrarily based off of a private communication on their forums. I was given the impression the correspondence was similar to, "Hey I don't like that this guy does not like the Balance Test Changes. Please close his thread."

I for one feel extremely alienated by your company's public face and think that your community management is a joke.

Examples(All of which are locked):
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130682/balance-test-changes-constructive-skulk-movement-discussion#latest
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130717/all-games-die-eventually#latest
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130701/i-hate-balance-test#latest
    I recognize your concern, but I truly don't think you experienced corrupt moderation, i think you experienced mods reacting to said toxicity from certain users.
    I obviously can't speak for other mods, but each of those threads had plenty of reasons to be closed, except for yours. (i would have just edited, nuked, warned the offending users)
    Just look at the one with 10 troll flags on the OP?? But i do understand that sometimes a thread offers nothing but a platform for more of those certain users.. and there's just no saving it.

My signature links are a great example of the unavoidable typhoon that is passion through anonymity. (end result sometimes leads to hyper aggression)

But this community is FAR FAR better than the majority of gaming communities that you will ever find!
    Go ahead and read through EA forums, or any other triple AAA title's forums... yeesh..

So not only are the number of trouble makers smaller, but our community contributes to the product waaayyy more!

From maps that have gone official,
    to art in game
    to our mapping and play testing teams
    to a huge amount of server and client mods
    to mentorship programs
    to tech support volunteers
    to bug reporting
    to server hosting
    to catching hackers and griefers
    to infecting the internet with ns2 media
    to assisting with PAX and other media events
    to helping shape this game in more ways than almost any released game i know for 3 years now.

Oh yea... and donating over $9,000 to my wife and I after a major fire that tanked us financially.

So... yes, just like any community there will be some bad apples... but in my humble and probably biased opinion, this is still one of the best game communities out there.
    Be part of it, give your feedback as accurately and detailed as you can. The mods will do their best to be fair, but will also attempt to cull those bad apples.
    /love letter to the community
    :bz

(p.s. you should start that thread again.)

I have been a part of quite a few gaming communities and I have to say that the Natural Selection 2 game community is decent. I also have to say that this is the worst video game forum community that I've ever seen. The amount of people on this forum that absolutely hate and flame anything that isn't exactly in line with what they enjoy is appalling. This is compounded on by moderators that are biased in favor of those hateful people. Add to that developers who flat out tell players that their opinions are wrong and/or have no value and you get a terrible forum community.

For reference:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130771/onos-bar-32-man-server/p1
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130630/new-docking/p1

Edit: See the first sentence of the next post.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    People that don't enjoy the new movement are basically spastics. Did you honestly enjoy playing skulk just holding forward + jump, or running up walls at such a slow speed. How is this more enjoyable compared to traversing the map at a higher speed, chaining multiple walljumps at a high speed, carrying momentum between walls on the floor with queued jump and 1000x more air control to pull more super-man type moves midair.

I wish UWE provided a video on the new movement to show people what is actually possible. To many noobs playing 250, noticing a slight difference in the feel of the movement and writing it off because its 'different'. The new movement requires a time investment to learn it, not a big time investment but for something that scales with skill you need to put some effort into learning it.

You can do everything you prevoiusly could + MORE!

See this youtube video below of what is possible, half the speed a bit cause you can't go as fast anymore but the premise is the same.

edited June 2013
    Robotix wrote: »
    The amount of people on this forum that absolutely hate and flame anything that isn't exactly in line with what they enjoy is appalling.
    Interesting that you say that, couldn't help but notice this post getting flagged as spam by you.. ?
    Or the multiple posts per page in the docking thread from you.

It goes both ways, buddy..

• RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Robotix wrote: »
    The amount of people on this forum that absolutely hate and flame anything that isn't exactly in line with what they enjoy is appalling.
    Interesting that you say that, couldn't help but notice this post getting flagged as spam by you.. ?
    Or the multiple posts per page in the docking thread from you.

It goes both ways, buddy..

I never claimed I was innocent. I've made my fair share of bad posts, often in response to the excessive hate on this forum. But that doesn't make what I say any less true.
    edited June 2013

That's all great and dandy, but when you enter combat, I don't want to have to lose track of the enemy.

The best way to describe it is either the Skulk body feels like its sticking/rolling around the marine hitbox in close encounters and/or the excessive air-control turning me around too quickly.

Even if that wasn't the problem, mid-late game becomes a point of time not worth playing into for reasons I don't care to restate (look at page 3) but will simply identify as flamethrower availability/gl spam/shotgun ROF/biomass/fade health/jet-pack vs. aliens and pretty much anything related to weapon balance.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like most of the new changes and I do prefer the old shadowstepping fade, I felt I could utilize more bursty movement with that playstyle which is why I enjoyed playing it so much. I'll probably get used to it though.

I'm not totally convinced of the skulk though. In open areas, you have no chance now. Obviously open areas are bad for aliens, I get that and they should only be desperate attempts to defend/kill but it's impossible to get any decent speed in open areas vs marines early game. Despite these complaints, I'm finding myself doing better as a skulk.

My biggest gripe is the Onos. Without celerity, it's basically a joke to play. You just have no chance vs jetpackers now due to the gore range nerf and the massively reduced hp.

I do agree with Bitey. The patch is basically an entire re-release of the game, it's such a drastic difference that I believe it needed to be spread over a few weeks rather than a massive punch of change in the face.

Industry wrote: »

This thread is already a frustrating read, not because people don't like the changes, but because some can't seem to articulate specifics about where and why the changes have failed.
    Just like sewlek and UWE can't seem to articulate specifics about where and why some of the changes were made in the first place. A simple change to Skulk to have wall-jump would've been understandable. The tech-tree, I can tolerate.

But a wider LMG spread?
    1ST-TECHPOINT PROTOLAB?
    BIOMASS? BIOMASS??
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    Who needs to uninstall when there are at least 2 revert mods in the works? Why accept defeat? If the person I've talked to doesn't release theirs in the next couple of days like they've said I will release the one I am working on. Currently it runs on 250 and seems fairly bug free. I'm working on ironing out the bugs that pop up during testing.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/612770366626978395/39E7A998EA7F209F41135428DAC4648FB83AB926/
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    Just like sewlek and UWE can't seem to articulate specifics about where and why some of the changes were made in the first place.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128755/sewlek-s-beta-test-mod/p1

Every change has been discussed here. It seems like these changes are happening out of nowhere, but theyre not. Theyre a product of testing by, admittedly, a small group of players. But every change has happened for a reason.

You have some problems with some of the balance of the patch. Some other people brought up how strong GL and FT spam is now. Thats okay. Wait a couple weeks, and ill bet you something else will be the new OP strategy of the week. thats how a metagame works. You need to let players discover it, abuse it, then counter it.

the fact that the complaints are all saying that the movement is awful, but not giving a reason, is proof enough that the movement is disliked because it is new. If there was an actual problem with the movement, youd get the 10+ different people posting on the forum saying "god, i cant even x with the new movement. Maybe if it did y instead, it would be tolerable." But instead we have "GG HiRez UWE dead game."

Personally i like the movement a lot more. I feel more mobile and natural. Maybe its just because it feels more like a source game, which i am more used to. But at least i can admit that its just familiarity.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    This. People saying they hate the new skulk movement after they learnt it is just puzzling to me by now. It's faster, more responsive and way easier to close in on marines with. To each their own I guess?
    Bitey wrote: »
    I myself was not an expectation to an extremely negative first impression of the alien movement, I wrote an article on the experience awhile ago pastebin.com/83LjWNeD . I personally hate it when I see someone telling others to 'give it more time' when Some of these people have already given hundreds of hours to ns2. The biggest frustration for some of these people comes from some of the old knowledge they might have acquired being thrown out. The feeling having the rug pulled out from under you sucks :< When someone has to relearn the movement it can be a not only tedious but sometimes daunting task to break old habbits. Trying to form new ones has also become a chore with such little OFFICAL information given on how to maximize you're new movement abilities.
    This is a fair point. In my experience, the people who don't get the new movement yet are the same ones who are the most vocal about the new build being terrible and the same ones who threaten to ragequit the game after 30 minutes of hopping around cluelessly. It's never "so guys, how does this work exactly?", it's always "this is terrible, UWE killed NS2". In just 2 hours of public play, I've calmed down about 5 of these people by telling them about jump queuing and witnessing them figuring it out fairly quickly.

I can't really blame anyone for just being angry and not bothering to ask how the new movement works though, as in all fairness, there's no way to know or tell there even is anything to ask about. The changelog says "movement code rewritten" without giving the slightest clue as to what that means. All the people who don't read the forums will naturally assume it's at least similar to before and just get frustrated.

This was probably the most horribly introduced patch in gaming history in relation to what a game changer it is. Everything but the actual game coding by Sewlek shows extremely sloppy work by the devs, to a point where it makes you wonder if anyone with any remote idea of how this business works even seriously oversees this project anymore. The whole thing was clearly rushed for the ongoing weekend sale/promotion, but there was barely any work being put into anything but the game itself.

Even if UWE haven't killed NS2, they're certainly beating it down with a stick as we speak. And this is coming from someone with >1000 hours played who actually loves the new build.

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    That's all great and dandy, but when you enter combat, I don't want to have to lose track of the enemy.

I don't have this problem... no more so then I did with vanilla.