Remove ability to "change name" in-game

ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
Hello. I just had a terrible experience in NS2...

I was excited about seeing the changes of Build 250 after not playing NS2 for a month or two. I joined one of the few servers that had lots of people in it already. As soon as I get in the server on the Marines side, someone started a "kick vote" against me. Confused, I asked why. They all replied that I was a "troll" and I was the same troll that kept changing names earlier. However, I was kicked before I can explain that I was not that troll. Frustrated, I tried searching for another server. Again, on a different server, there was a troll that kept changing his name to someone else's name so the real person got kicked instead of the troll. As a result, the server died. I also tried rejoining the same exact server I joined in the beginning, but I was unfortunately banned from that server... This left a bad aftertaste after not playing NS2 for a while. I know it's not UWE's fault for trolls, they exist in every game in existence. However, removing the ability to change names would certainly help solve some of the "troll problems".

So UWE, please remove the ability to change names in-game. What is the point of changing your name in-game while fighting skulks or marines?

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Just choose a different server, if the admins ban you based on your ingame name when someone is name switching. Doesn't sound too competent to me.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Maybe tying it to steam name would be nice.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Disagree. Nothing wrong with the ability to change name in game.

Try to play on servers that are adminned well. I must say it's been a long time since I've seen a troll in NS2, which is great, but of course there are still a few out there. Nothing the admin banhammer can't fix. :)
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I recall a script on a few NS1 servers (actually, goldsource in general) that used a command along the lines of "/whois [name]" And it'd list the various names ever used under that steamID(I assume) on that server. That'd probably be at least minorly helpful script to have now in such a situation, yes?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, no, no. I hate games that force you to use your steam name, like I really really hate it. I don't want to have to change my steam name possibly confusing people (and making a mess of my "known as" list) because a game can't be bothered having a name variable of it's own. I hate it, I hate it so damn much.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sv_status in console. Write down their IDs. Talk to the server admin to get him banned and you unbanned.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Vote kick works fine. People just need to be aware of commands to check player IDs. Its sv_status or something like that.

Also, how does the kick work? Once you are kicked are you allowed to instantly rejoin the server? I remember some troll getting kicked from a server and instantly rejoining. If this is the case, maybe a L4D style 10 min ban should be put in place on the user who is kicked. I could be wrong though. I do not see people getting kicked very often.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow.... really. Telling him to search for another server. There aren't that many server to find these days, with people in them, or there is just full servers.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kattcattis wrote: »
    Wow.... really. Telling him to search for another server. There aren't that many server to find these days, with people in them, or there is just full servers.

This is a problem with that servers administration, not the games ability to change your name. The correct course of action is to take up a complaint with that administration or find another server.

Joshhh, I like the idea of a 5-10 min temp ban associated with getting kicked. As it is, the trolling player can just instantly reconnect and continue harassment.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Trolls can disconnect before the kick takes place then come back to the server. Better to have an admin do the job, or that temp ban suggested above (as long as the ban applies even if the player was disconnected when the vote passed).
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    Daxx wrote: »
    Kattcattis wrote: »

This is a problem with that servers administration, not the games ability to change your name. The correct course of action is to take up a complaint with that administration or find another server.

Joshhh, I like the idea of a 5-10 min temp ban associated with getting kicked. As it is, the trolling player can just instantly reconnect and continue harassment.

Who the fuck is going to 'take up a complaint with that administration'? This is a shitty little video game, there's nothing he can do about it and it sucks. Obviously locking names isn't going to happen.

But the hilarious answer of complain to the admin (how.....?) or find another server on a game that has like 1 or 2 active servers in many locations is just mind boggling.

He'll just quit like the majority
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    mclawls wrote: »
    But the hilarious answer of complain to the admin (how.....?) or find another server on a game that has like 1 or 2 active servers in many locations is just mind boggling.

Same way it's been done in the entire history of online server based gaming: if there is a way to contact the admins, its in the server header/search for the server name online. If there is a community, it should be out there. If not, then your SOL.

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Trolls can also ruin games by jumping into the command chair. Doesn't mean we should get rid of the commander interface
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    theres some trolls out there during this sale

hold tab and click to get a mouse icon and mute the speaker next to their name

do your part to vote kick them out of the server. Trolls will be trolls they are everywhere unfortunately
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Feel free to take a free fraps recording of their behavior and submit it to NS2bans.com for review