Build 250 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Just hold forward, mash jump, if you can manage it, hold crouch. This way you'll move around pretty damn fast as fade (give yourself starting momentum from blink though).
  • DarkRaven17DarkRaven17 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185711Members
    I've found the fade to be much easier to navigate with, and somewhat faster.

You just have to get the hang of it by practicing, instead of writing it off because it's different.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited June 2013
    First impressions, this is looking VERY marine biased. Also, Regen is OP for onos/fade compared to cara, just a couple of in-combat ticks and you regen more armor than cara would have provided. A lot of what I'm seeing as marine bias is going to be in aliens relearning everything while marines get to use the skills they already had though.

Also, minor complaint: Leap no longer shows legs while leaping, I sometimes see the first frame of the leg animation, but the rest is missing. Not sure if it was removed or just bugged, but I want it back.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited June 2013
    how is biomass upgrade to 2 or 3?
    what creates biomass?
    It's a research option found in the Selection menu when you click on a hive. You need 20 and 30 tres respectively in order to upgrade a hive to Biomass 2 and 3.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I personally feel marines are OP due to the changes of their tech and the price of life form eggs. If aliens can avoid losing life forms though then they'll probably win.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    what creates biomass?
    - Biomass comes from Hives
    how is biomass upgrade to 2 or 3?
    You select the Hive and research the "Add Biomass" upgrade. Think that's what it's called, anyway...
    edited June 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I personally feel marines are OP due to the changes of their tech and the price of life form eggs. If aliens can avoid losing life forms though then they'll probably win.
    There may be a problem with one-tech point proto lab when marines are turtling. On the bright side, it allows marines with extra pres to make a comeback even after losing their second tech point. I think less dependence on tech points is the reasoning behind this change (applies to biomass as well), but Sewlek is free to clarify.

I think the lowered cost of no-upgrade lifeforms (fades in particular) gives aliens a better chance of winning even though it's risky vs competent marines. Marines are easier to pick off now due to their reliance on welding each other. Skulks in general have become harder to track imo, especially when they get in melee range.

The best games are those with mostly decent players and I think it will take a week or two before we can definitely say that something is imbalanced or not. This patch introduced a lot of changes after all.
  • GavaalGavaal Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185228Members
    I know what you mean Ghost, I've played BT a few times but re-learning Fade movement is going to take quite a while for myself personally. Doesn't bother me though, good excuse to put more hours in to NS :D
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I think there's going to be a lot of WTFs this weekend when people jump on.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    NH_ wrote: »
    Especially if in a couple months I have to re-learn my favorite class again.
    This many large changes to alien movement and abilities are a one time thing. From here on there will of course be some tweaking and polishing, but don't expect another huge rework of, say, the Fade, in a few months. That pretty much goes for the rest of the game, as well. We will continue to refine the BT mod features based on feedback, add some new features after extensive testing, and add some new content in large content patches, but we will make sure to avoid dropping such a large, all encompassing game update on the community like this again.
  • Tom-RTom-R Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178515Members
    While I intend absolutely no drama with this.

NS2, while I was partially growing old of it, is now uninstalled for me. I was never a fan of the BT mod and I'll just stick to full time Ubuntu now. (NS2 was almost last reason for windows, bar Ableton Live).

I can totally understand the devs moves for this and wish the game and its players good luck!.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    edited June 2013
    I hate the new aliens so much. The fact that you have to pay for skulk upgrades is dumb. It really changes things and once you get low on res you never earn it back. I hate the new skulk. He doesn't understand gravity and just keeps banging his head on the ceiling. I don't hate the new fade but I don't like it either. Biomass is OK, but now it's just sort of a waiting game for aliens instead of taking tech points, so a little less interesting to me. I like that upgrades are diversified and the tech tree feels expanded.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Never played BT: How does Khammander afford stuff now? I mean there seems to be a MILLION things to spend res on now, but no more res. Yeah okay, 2 res per harvester more, woop.

Also, where can I learn how the new movement works...
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skulking off walls is a bit different, he sticks to everything (including marines) something chornic. So you have to ALT + Jump off walls now to get that nice big jump like before.
    Also, where can I learn how the new movement works...
    Ezekel made some great video tutorials last month. The instructions still apply in their entirety in this patch.
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    These changes are great. A lot more options for a marine commanders strategy and alien commanding is much more fun and involved now. Thanks for the great release.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Glad this is finally implemented. Time to dump some more hours into NS2.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    If anything, Fade movement has become simplified and easier which is a good thing. They are squishier now though so you have to choose the timing and duration of your engagements wisely. I think it's an even more fun Fade now compared to previous build although the first thing people will notice is the "ice-skating" effect when trying to do small movements which takes getting used to.
    Skulk is incredibly awesome, especially the movement changes and the small gain in speed you are rewarded with for correct chaining of wall-jumps.
    Lerk is nerfed and you can no longer use your spikes like a parasite. Like the Fade you now have to be extra cautious going anywhere near shotguns.
    Onos nerf is a good thing, too many games instantly ended when an onos was out on the field but now it's not such a game-changer.
    Exo's seem overpowered when coupled with any weapons upgrades but I haven't played enough new Exo to properly comment yet.

I think a lot of people are going to hate this build due to the sheer amount of gameplay changes but on the other hand I know a whole lot of players who will be embracing it or returning to the game as these balance changes are the first step in the right direction of a more diverse game.
  • Mad selectionMad selection Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 176967Members
    Everything die way too easily, mostly aliens. Gonna try to get use to it but honestly the game is much less exciting then it was before. Marine commander sound a bit useless except to spam medkits and ammos since money come in so fast now. Haven't tried to comm aliens.

Bottom line: I really don't like it at all.
    edited June 2013
    My first impressions were dead on. The Flamethrower is stupidly overpowered, plus easy to get because it autoresearches with advanced armory. The flamethrower is like what would happen if you took a shotguns damage, tripled it's effective range, gave it 5 times the LMGs sustained fire, and then gave it instakill abilities on gorge structures plus the energy drain, structure disable and cloud burning. Basically you just hold M1 and firestorm until everything dies.

Other than that, aliens are a bit weaker overall. New Onos and Fade are a lot easier to kill because of the onos's armor, damage and range nerfs. New fade is about the same in raw power but the controls make it easier to hit, even with skilled players (comparatively, skilled players can still push my shit in). Skulks also tend to move straighter, making them easier to shoot. Aliens also require a LOT more t-res to properly upgrade with the biomass system. It's another 50 res per hive to get all upgrades.

And of course marines got a couple other buffs, faster (but weaker) exos, the ability to buy JPs at 1 tech and the improvement to jetpack takeoff, cheeper obs and phase tech, and infinite sprint.

I HAVE lost as marines, but I felt like the only reason for that was because of absolutely pants-on-head retarded comming vs a strong alien team. We didn't even have an advanced armory until we were turtling. Even then, we had to surrender because after 20 minutes even basically everyone going onos couldn't kill us thanks to the onos HP nerf. Hell, if we waited long enough we might even have pulled it off because of the 1 tech exos, but that would have taken like an hour to get all the res.
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    Everything die way too easily, mostly aliens. Gonna try to get use to it but honestly the game is much less exciting then it was before. Marine commander sound a bit useless except to spam medkits and ammos since money come in so fast now. Haven't tried to comm aliens.

I'm confused as to how your perceived increase in marine income leads to commanders being useless now? With obs/phase tech cost reduced and the ability to build an arms lab without an armory you actually have options in how you proceed from the beginning of the game. Before commanding was boring because if you wanted to be competitive you were basically following a script. Now you can get a quick phase or quick tech not just quick armory/mines research.
  • RemiGotoRemiGoto Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185715Members
    뭔얘기를 하는거야
    중요한건 페이드 이동속도보다 페이드가 더 쉽게죽는다는거지
    이제 카라에게 페이드란 안할수는 없지만 하기도 부담스러운게 됬어

이동속도? 페이드는 더 빠른이동속도를 가졌어도 더 잘보이게 되서 더 빨리죽어
    edited June 2013
    RemiGoto wrote: »
    뭔얘기를 하는거야
    중요한건 페이드 이동속도보다 페이드가 더 쉽게죽는다는거지
    이제 카라에게 페이드란 안할수는 없지만 하기도 부담스러운게 됬어

이동속도? 페이드는 더 빠른이동속도를 가졌어도 더 잘보이게 되서 더 빨리죽어

Yes, the fade will require a lot of practice to maintain the speeds required to not die.

EDIT: Actually, moving fast isn't the hard part, it's using it in combat while getting significant damage in.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    CatCop wrote: »

I'm confused as to how your perceived increase in marine income leads to commanders being useless now? With obs/phase tech cost reduced and the ability to build an arms lab without an armory you actually have options in how you proceed from the beginning of the game. Before commanding was boring because if you wanted to be competitive you were basically following a script. Now you can get a quick phase or quick tech not just quick armory/mines research.

+1

The tech-tree has now opened up and there are a many different viable build orders for both teams, making the game a lot more interesting. Before there were only a couple of variations which were worth persuing.
    edited June 2013
    AussieKid wrote: »
    CatCop wrote: »

+1

The tech-tree has now opened up and there are a many different viable build orders for both teams, making the game a lot more interesting. Before there were only a couple of variations which were worth persuing.

There are a few more options, but it's yet to be seen if they are all viable. At first glance, Upgrades seem to have lost a great deal of their appeal for marines, so phase tech or adv armory/proto will be the way to go. Aliens have even less freedom in choosing lifeform upgrades because biomass only unlocks them one at a time rather than a group at a time per hive.