Build 250 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 250 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Build 250 is now live on Steam. Servers will update over the next few hours, and Steam will update your game automatically. Build 250 contains lots of balance changes!

Read the full story here

Comments

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I hate Dropbox so much. NS2, on the other hand, is quite fantastic.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    :D NS2 2.0000000000000000000 (At least that's what I'm calling it.)
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Here comes the forum enrichment.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I await the flames with baited breath.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Changelog? Changelog! CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!

*goes into a seizure*
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    WOOOOHOOOO! no more trying to find that one balance test server thats always full or empty
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Very much looking forward to this. I wish more effort had gone into the changelog though, it's very poorly formatted/edited.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    I'm glad to see its the full current balance mod just whacked into live. I was a bit worried they would cherry pick

GW Sewlek!!!!
  • revo_phxrevo_phx Join Date: 2010-10-27 Member: 74626Members
    edited June 2013
    Is it intended that you can weld while running? xD i think not... and did the pistol reloadtime change? seems longer...

Edit:
    And this is wrong: - reduced health/armor of Phase Gates to 2500/300 (down from 2700/450)
    Phasegate has now 3100 Health, no Armor!
  • cyanidecyanide Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185567Members
    I HATE IT REVERT NOW!!!! jking. top notch work.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2013
    IT BURNS, THE WHOLE PATCH BURNS... GAAHHH (garggle garggle)

just kidding
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A little bit more info on biomass might help.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm pretty happy with the BT changes, maybe except for this one -
    - marines can now always sprint (no more fatigue)

but other than that, good work :)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This thread needs more rage
    /topic
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Right From the changelog
    - add bio mass: every structure grants bio mass which increases the health of life forms

Only part true, only hives add biomass. This should be changed to reflect one of the major changes the aliens have.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Hmmm, the Exo is devastating now, with weapons 3 i can kill a fade in a few bullets, like wtf?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Hmmm, the Exo is devastating now, with weapons 3 i can kill a fade in a few bullets, like wtf?

Keep in mind, players need time to learn how to play the new fade. You can brick your fade quite easily now if you do not have descent energy conservation. Even an LMG can kill a new 250 fade. :P
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    where's the Build 250 change log video? More explanation on biomass...
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    where's the Build 250 change log video? More explanation on biomass...
    Hugh's not in the office at the moment.
    <><><> BIOMASS <><><>

- Biomass comes from Hives
    - Each Hive starts with 1 Biomass, can be upgraded to 2 or 3
    - Maximum of 9 or 12 Biomass possible depending on number of tech points per map
    - Biomass is displayed on the Hive as a dark border dividing the glowing orange "core" into 2 or 3 parts (1 Biomass looks normal)
    - Biomass is also shown in top left of alien player's screen when holding the Map key (default C)
    - Each level of biomass unlocks new lifeform abilities which can then be researched by the commander (Leap, Bile, Umbra, etc)
    - Each level of biomass increases the base health of all lifeforms (higher lifeforms gain more health per Biomass)

how is biomass upgrade to 2 or 3?
    what creates biomass?
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I downloaded the patch, tried it for a couple of hours and cried. Cried not of joy (which I had hoped after waiting for the patch so long since it looked soooo good), but of grief about the new fade...

I mean really? I'll try my best not to rage here, I know I just have to do that tens of hours of practice again, but I just can't stop getting my face red over the new fade.

First of all, how slow it is. I can't see why shadowstep and blink should change places, I'd say just replace blink with something more useful, but it had to become the bane of the fades, the ultimate energy consumer, the reason you can get into battle but not out of it. Well, at least before everyone learns something new (yes, people spammed me about just having to learn it, no, they didn't bother giving any tips, so I guessed they had no idea either).

Second, I guess the momentum change with SS means no more shadowstep + jump, darn, I couldn't even find a way to build any momentum with the blink, are adrenaline fades dead now?

From these experiences, I saw nothing so big as the fades. Marines feel pretty much the same excluding the weldspam, and skulks are pretty much exactly the same if you bothered to walljump before, so first impression: neither are perfect, but I prefer the old one.

Shall try again tomorrow if there's any chances of people learning some tricks while I'm gone.

P.S. I wonder how many "lol u mad?" minded replies I'll get. :D
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah I was pretty unhappy with the fade changes at first, I don't hate them anymore, but I still hate the fact I suck at fade now lol.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I downloaded the patch, tried it for a couple of hours and cried. Cried not of joy (which I had hoped after waiting for the patch so long since it looked soooo good), but of grief about the new fade...

I mean really? I'll try my best not to rage here, I know I just have to do that tens of hours of practice again, but I just can't stop getting my face red over the new fade.

First of all, how slow it is. I can't see why shadowstep and blink should change places, I'd say just replace blink with something more useful, but it had to become the bane of the fades, the ultimate energy consumer, the reason you can get into battle but not out of it. Well, at least before everyone learns something new (yes, people spammed me about just having to learn it, no, they didn't bother giving any tips, so I guessed they had no idea either).

Second, I guess the momentum change with SS means no more shadowstep + jump, darn, I couldn't even find a way to build any momentum with the blink, are adrenaline fades dead now?

From these experiences, I saw nothing so big as the fades. Marines feel pretty much the same excluding the weldspam, and skulks are pretty much exactly the same if you bothered to walljump before, so first impression: neither are perfect, but I prefer the old one.

Shall try again tomorrow if there's any chances of people learning some tricks while I'm gone.

You do know about preserving momentum with jumps, right? Should have been the very first line in the changelog, but if you hold the jump button before you hit the ground you'll maintain all the speed you have.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zek wrote: »

You do know about preserving momentum with jumps, right? Should have been the very first line in the changelog, but if you hold the jump button before you hit the ground you'll maintain all the speed you have.

As it reads in the post, I couldn't get anything to work to maintain momentum. :)

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bt is kinda old news for me. I am mostly curious as to why @hugh was visiting torn banner studious.