ns2_tanith

Comments

• SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047389:date=Dec 17 2012, 09:41 PM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Dec 17 2012, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will likely be remaking this. I only have a few concerns before I begin, namely that it's a visually very restrained, plain map, and I'm not immediately struck by ways to make it modern.

I've also heard the gameplay might be problematic for NS2. So maybe I can open the floor for a discussion on this point. What does everybody think? Is it a worthwhile map to port, in terms of gameplay potential?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was probably the most solid and popular map of NS1, up there with eclipse. That alone should give some value to a remake project, there's demand for it anyways...

I'd have to playtest what exists so far to comment more.
  • NazulNazul Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9052Members
    Surely it's worthwhile having a remake of Tanith, like Swiftspear said it got played a LOT on the pubs.. I remember screens from tanith for ns2 somewhere in early stage..

And drastic layout changes isn't really an issue IMO ( like hera ), just have the big lines and the same location names for nostalgia reasons and it's a succes in my book :)
  • GirTurkeyGirTurkey Join Date: 2005-03-03 Member: 43040Members
    Only major gameplay things that affect this map are the ladders. Those will have to be changed because of Arcs. So the map might be a little flatter than it was. Otherwise I see it working well, will love to have more maps with good vent systems too.
  • RyudanRyudan Join Date: 2012-04-22 Member: 150895Members
    C´aint whait to play this old map :)))
  • hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    I love the lighting here, definitely feels like the old Tanith. Let's see some more updates ;)
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    Problem will be Waste and Satelite hives. Both have really long cysting distance to next possible RT, while Fusion stays as a really strong hive. Also Waste is isolated rest of the map, which was problem in NS1 as well. Otherwise it is a great map, but you surely have to make lots of changes with this one. Order to get Tanith balanced, I think you need to following.

1. Make Waste closer to Fusion.
    2. Make close RT for both Waste and Satelite.
    3. Remove one RT from double and add it closer to Waste, maybe to CAT.
    4. Keep great ventilation system.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    So.. Did you take over creating this map fmpone? Care to.. share?
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    wiry wrote: »
    So.. Did you take over creating this map fmpone? Care to.. share?

^^ please say its so!

• fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hey guys i'm pretyt busy these days with other projects -- i never really seriously got off the ground with tanith, so sorry for not making that clear a long time ago.

Hopefully somebody else can do it justice, it's a map that had a lot of excitement attached to it. Take care.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I could take a stab at it, but considering Origin is my main project, Tanith might have some slow progress
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    After looking at the map, I'm wondering how he mapped like this. Every face is seperate, little to no shared verts. The greybox areas look stitched together. Every single light was specular. Every light inside a vent was shadow casting.
    I'm not sure I have the patience to work with all these problems. I'll try but I can't promise anything
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    Select all, Weld near ;)
    Filter only lights, select all, turn off specular and shadow casting ;)
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    I am also willing to do this. If anyone else wants to help we can all get set up at my (Sckorpio's) basecamp. Killer if you want work on origin for now, and you can take a room or 2 if you like.
    xtcmen wrote: »
    I am also willing to do this. If anyone else wants to help we can all get set up at my (Sckorpio's) basecamp. Killer if you want work on origin for now, and you can take a room or 2 if you like.

I could do a few rooms, but how bout you take the Hive room, because thats a mess
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I'm actually interested in doing this, but like, entirely myself.

Go ahead. :D
    Yea, go crazy, I have no motivation to do this
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    By far, tanith was my favorite ns1 map. would love so much to see this come to fruition! somebody, anybody take over! do it mendasp! plz n thx :D
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    mm Tanith had some wonderful jumps, with the NS1 marine movement mechanics - These will be missed :(
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    wow, i just had a inkling to check and see how fmpone has been on this and its sad to see not much done. Much life got in the way, married last summer and first child this summer... way too much to spend time mapping. Glad to see mendasp working on it, I always liked his work from back in the ns1 days.

@ killer monkey... the greybox was done through conversion of the original. Decompiled and stitched together so I would have correct dimensions to start with.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ssjyoda - What programs did you use for the decompiling and conversion? Would like to take a similar approach with bast.

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Jekt wrote: »

confirmed, mapping looks frustrating
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    From what i know there is no converter available.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    I decompiled the map and opened it in hammer 4. Opened it and moved the map piece by piece into a blank vmf in hammer, each time I tried to copy more it crashed hammer. I also would always cut instead of copy so I wouldn't be moving the same stuff twice. Also had to paste special so positioning in the world remained the same. After I each section I saved the vmf in hammer and opened it in spark, copying that piece into the full copy. I was going back and forth with 2 instances of hammer and 2 of spark. 1 instance of hammer being the decompiled copy, the 2nd were the pieces I copied. Spark, 1 instance was what I copied and the 2nd was the full. Definitely was time consuming, I did one room at a time and only copied geometry.

I did it 2 years ago so its hard to remember. There have always been bsp decompilers but they were never any good and left a lot of the level fragmented, hence why the graybox portions of tanith run so poorly and look ugly in editor. But since all that was needed was the dimensions it was good enough.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    playtesting match June 24th ns2_tanith

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited August 2013
    After recent events I have taken the decision of stopping NS2 mapping altogether, if anyone wants to take over he's free to do so. I'm attaching the file here and removing the workshop item.

Cheers.

Edit: You might want to clean up the horrible bars on the ceiling glass, they were temporary to see how it looked, it's shittily made.
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    Wow mendasp you are the best!... You what?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    To elaborate a bit I'm quitting NS2 entirely, but I'm still debating what to do with my other mods (Custom HUD, Spawns/Lights, NSL maps)...
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    That's a shame man. :( Always enjoyed your humour, your mapping efforts, and watching the games you've played competitively. Perhaps one day you'll decide to return again. Take care. :)