Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• MkollMkoll Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182996Members
    edited June 2013
    please could someone save me 86 pages of drudgery and kindly list the mod ID so I can add it to my server command line, please?

<3!!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Mkoll wrote: »
    please could someone save me 86 pages of drudgery and kindly list the mod ID so I can add it to my server command line, please?

<3!!

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128755/sewlek-s-balance-mod/p1

:p

• NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    IronHorse said:
    Wow fades are fast.. a halfway decent fade is *really* hard to kill right now just due to pure speed! The average skilled human is not going to be able to track that fast
    While it may be easier to survive by being faster, and feel fun for that individual, it makes it far more difficult for less skilled players on the other team to track the target.
    Think I played with you last night on tram, Ironhorse. :) I agree that adren blinking fades are very hard to track and kill unless you have a shotty or flamethrower. Fades are not going to engage for long if you have these weapons and only an ambushing, minimap-hunting marine is likely to finish off a skilled fade. The "blink up and swoop down" tactic is still an effective, skillful maneuver that lets a fade assess marine counts while throwing off aim greatly for those being targeted. Even with shadowstep's new vertical directions, it feels redundant since blink does everything you need to do. You gain better speed boosts in mid-air at similar energy costs with blink as well.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Oh noes 1 degree! My aiming skills have been totally sabotaged! You have a pistol for a reason, or have all you vets already forgotten ns1? Or perhaps you would like the pistol to be worthless in 95% of situations when you still have bullets in your lmg? That does not strike me as very good design.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Why not take ns1 spread. Pistol for long range parasiting skulks and skulks behind rts, lmg for rest.
    durrr
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Imagine ns1 spread, the rage in here ;) i think it was 4 degrees. heads would explode
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS1 was basically CS white walls when it came to aiming. People don't seem to get this still.

I don't care that you can see a skulk moving, in NS1 tracking was far easier because the geometry and textures were so basic in comparison.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I don't think it has to do with adrenaline as much as the actual number value currently used for blink momentum /speed.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RedSword wrote: »
    This is unrelated to the previous posts, but I'd like to say that the skulks movement when not jumping - while pressing both w+a or w+d (strafe + forward) - really seems wrong. I seems like you're going way more forward then on the side (diagonal movements are messed up). It doesn't feel right IMO.
    Exactly. While trying to pinpoint what makes the BT Mod Skulk and Fade feel so awkward in comparison to vanilla, I noticed three things:

- Strafing with W+A or W+D has *way* too little sideways movement, compared to forward speed.
    - Jumping while strafing diagonally makes the jump go straight ahead; all lateral movement is cancelled immediately.
    - Strafing while jumping forward has very little effect. However, this is not due to a lack of air control... you can make rather sharp turns in-air by curving with your mouse.

These three things create a really weird asymmetry between the axes of movement. In vanilla, you simply move into the direction of your key presses (as in virtually every other 3d game). In the BT Mod, however, your movement is heavily biased towards the forward axis. That's what I described as feeling like "traveling on tracks" in another post.

Why was strafe movement so heavily constrained in the BT Mod? Was this necessary to make the "bhop" maneuver work? If so, this is a horrible trade-off - it feels really, really wrong. This simple thing makes the BT Mod a lot less enjoyable to me.

If there is any chance to change (or at least tweak) this before release, I'd really appreciate it.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Also I'm going to repeat myself and say that the fade needs 80 damage minimum, it's just so important and here's why.

A2: 4 skulk bites, 4 fade swipes, 3 onos gores.
    A3: 4 skulk bites, 4 fade swipes, 3 onos gores.

There is NO POINT in getting A3, the only way it can assist you is if you take a gorge spit hit or some lerk spikes, then it'd be one less bite/swipe to die, it's not worth it. This means that marines can effectively hit full upgrades by 8 minutes maybe sooner and have a proto by the time they'd normally have 3/3. Basically this destroys the mid game (which really doesn't exist) because by the time fades are out, so is A2, which is the most "defense" marines will get against fades, fades never fight early/mid game marines, they fight late game marines, that's messed up. Simply buffing the damage to 80 making it 3 swipes to kill an A2 marine will make all the difference to how fast marines can tech and how useful fades in combat.

I wouldn't say that this necessarily means that fades need to have their damage increased (I'm entirely unconvinced that fades need to be stronger than they currently are in the midgame) but it is fairly bad from a design perspective that A3 doesn't give a direct benefit in a 1v1 skulk, fade or onos fight, if only because it makes for a more obvious tech path for marines where the benefit of getting to A2 is huge compared to A3 which is ostensibly a later game tech and should at least be equally useful in practice.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps the fade damage isn't the thing that needs to be changed to compensate (but 4 swipes to kill A2 is retarded because staying around that long will end in your death). However something needs to be done to make A3 worth getting and not a waste of 40 res, and it can't be a skulk damage buff or you break the early game. An onos damage buff would be kind of pointless I feel. That's why I think fade.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I don't know what exactly is causing it, but Gorges seem able to get hit and damaged by their own Spit. Seems to be related to turning quickly while shooting the projectile.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A more interesting change would be improving the marine movement mechanics so the marines can actually dodge bites without relying on the commander for meds every time. But I agree that the bite cone is kinda big.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've found that since the medpack pickup delay medspam will very rarely save marines from good skulks anymore. You get 1-2 meds in depending on how much armor they had, any more than that are almost certainly pointless as the marine can't pick it up. Also a marine on 100/0 is almost pointless to med as the 50 hp they get brings them back to 75 where they die instantly as there is no chance of a second med happening in time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    A more interesting change would be improving the marine movement mechanics so the marines can actually dodge bites without relying on the commander for meds every time

You mean, apart from the quick strafing/strafe jumps any good marine can do with ease around skulks? They have more than enough maneuverability as it is.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Still unrelated to the previous messages, but I feel like 1CC marine is way too powerful with jetpacks. I also feel that because of those jetpacks, ending a game is wayyyyy harder for aliens. Lerk gas, onos, skulks are easily dodgeable/chasable with those... Turtling in public games happens and the game turns around because of jetpacks. 1 base marine totally crushes 1 base alien (I know it is asymetric, but I feel something should be done regarding jetpacks).

Another thing I see is the game turning around too easily once advanced armory is finished being researched. We saw by the BT that Flamethrower / Grenade launchers are now effective and can be used (which seem was the point of those free researches). Now just put a 5 or more res tech that requires 1+ minutes to unlock one of those two. I believe that will decrease tremendously the sudden GL/FT push that happens in some public games that ends the game. Having both weapons directly unlocked with an adv. armory doesn't give alien players enough time to adapt, thus sometimes ending the game quickly (+whip not throwing back grenades...); in case I feel it shouldn't happen that quickly.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The bile bomb rushes are getting really boring. I've been seeing teams dedicate a person to just suicide bile rush all game.. i think maybe bile bomb should require a 2nd hive again.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Just set gorge cost back to 10.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Don't put a hive requirement, just don't make Gorge 5 P/TRes
    8 or 10 pres gorge is a requirement absolutely. God damn OP right now.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Whenever I join BT server, I get this weird bug, which is like built in wallhack:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46228326/ns/2013-06-23_00001.jpg
    So, all icons are messed up, instead of rotating circle during upgrades I get like 4 different icons rotating (I clearly recognize harvester icon amongst them). And all the players and buildings have this strange square on them, which shows even through walls. I've been sitting in this that spot on screenshot in locker tracking skulks around me.

I tried checking game files in steam, it said everything is ok. And everything is OK in vanilla.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Not sure if this has been changed in the last few hours but, it's been a few pages since I posted this and I don't believe it's been tested, going to keep posting it until it at LEAST gets tested.
    Also I'm going to repeat myself and say that the fade needs 80 damage minimum, it's just so important and here's why.

A2: 4 skulk bites, 4 fade swipes, 3 onos gores.
    A3: 4 skulk bites, 4 fade swipes, 3 onos gores.

There is NO POINT in getting A3, the only way it can assist you is if you take a gorge spit hit or some lerk spikes, then it'd be one less bite/swipe to die, it's not worth it. This means that marines can effectively hit full upgrades by 8 minutes maybe sooner and have a proto by the time they'd normally have 3/3. Basically this destroys the mid game (which really doesn't exist) because by the time fades are out, so is A2, which is the most "defense" marines will get against fades, fades never fight early/mid game marines, they fight late game marines, that's messed up. Simply buffing the damage to 80 making it 3 swipes to kill an A2 marine will make all the difference to how fast marines can tech and how useful fades in combat.

You're wrong. There is a point to A3 and it's to do with medpacks. Don't make fade 80 damage...
    I have considered the one extra med you get out of it, but it still doesn't seem worth spending 40 res on when other things like proto are available.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    I don't think anyone gets A3 before a proto, vanilla or BT. The proto usually goes up after 2-2, so A3 is one of the last things comms get either way.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't think anyone gets A3 before a proto, vanilla or BT. The proto usually goes up after 2-2, so A3 is one of the last things comms get either way.

Exactly. And there's nothing wrong with that. Armor 3 just allows you to spend less ress over the course of a time on medpacks.
    I have considered the one extra med you get out of it, but it still doesn't seem worth spending 40 res on when other things like proto are available.

So you are wrong when you say there is no point to A3
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    lol
    The only thing A3 protects you against is gorge bile/spit and lerk spikes... all other lifeforms will 4 bite/swipe you. Its a redundant upgrade.

I get why sewlek changed the numbers but I still think the game should be put back to vanilla where A0 = 2 swipes, A1 = 3 swipes, A2 = 3 swipes, A3 = 4 swipes. At least then A3 feels useful. For those complaining about getting 2 swiped with armor 0... if you let fades come up before you get armor 1, you lost anyway.