ns_bast Community Remake

KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm looking for expressions of interest as to who would like to assist with remaking this classic. Unfortunately I don't have the time to make the whole map but if we can get half a dozen of people, we should be able to knock it out pretty fast.

It definitely won't be an easy map to make due to various heights of areas, elevators, and the underwater passage. However with a bit of planning, I seriously think we can do it.

So if you're interested in joining in, let me know along with nominating the areas you would like to do.

Below is a mock up I have made over the last couple of days of EM Drill Shaft.

DD0lAel.jpg
YOUWfqo.jpg
Tb8kHyS.jpg

Comments

• TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    Can you post the layout of the ns1 map ? I never played ns1 ^^
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    Lookin' good! Are you going to have the revolving door?
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    This is a very good idea, The mock up also looks very nice. but while you might not have time to make the map to final polish by yourself. I think you will need to be solely responsible for grey-boxing and amending the design so its compatible with NS2's mechanics.
    As we've seen with Caged, Origin, Ayumi and the others, direct ports do not work. Skipping grey boxing and testing the layout before handing out segments to different mappers would probably have disastrous results.
    There really is no alternative to grey boxing and thoroughly testing. That's what our server and members are for :)
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks guys.

@Caboose - na not likely.

@Howser - Thanks for the feedback and very good points. I have the time to do the overall project management, just not the design of every single room.The layout will definitely need to be altered due to the different play styles between the two games. Guess will wait and see how many people are actually interested in joining in.

Here are a few more teasers I've done of Atmospheric Processing.

f16pvJL.jpg
    aFYiUOk.jpg
    fVm4QrA.jpg
    RxfTWdD.jpg
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Why would you pick the hardest map to recreate, gl.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Well, this is definitively intriguing project and worth of participating. Bast was the most favored map for lot of people and would be shame if the remake will fulfill its potential. So I do agree with Howser, that the greybox phase should not be underestimated, and the initial development should be focused on gameplay mostly. When the layout will be set, others can step in and give it graphical love :)

I cannot promise my full participation ATM, but I will be watching this project and offer help whenever will be in my possibilities.
    Thanks @Rudy.cz.

I've been messing around with potential layouts and here is one design. Red markers are tech points. Ideally I would like a 5th around the middle of the map so I'm going to have a think on that.

Ignore the resource node logos.

YzALYMf.png