Build 250 under construction! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 250 under construction! - Natural Selection 2

Natural Selection 2 Build 250 is under construction! This is a real milestone build. Andi has been cranking on balance changes for months under the guise of ‘Balance Test Mod,’ and those changes are now going in to the game. Yesterday, the first iteration of build 250 was released to the wonderful playtest group.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bumpskis for comment thread
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    biz wrote:
    if it's just the current iteration of BT, this is going to be hilarious once live

way too soon. just like NS2 1.0

good luck. hope subsequent patches are quick, because you'll need it

Yeah it has problems, but it's still a much more varied, dynamic, rewarding and enjoyable experience than vanilla imo.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    so when is it going live?
    b4 the weekend or after?
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    While playing marines they got raped by a couple of skulks at the beginning. the first 5 minutes the aliens pushed strayan and the rines back to one base. so my question: did the rines did a bad job? or are skulks maybe a bit too powerful. i know i was complaining about the skulk in the balancemod-thread, but this question is very important for me. because i think in the most public games with the "new" skulk a lot of games will look like this: very strong skulks killing a lot of marines and pushing back to one base.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Rammler wrote: »
    because i think in the most public games with the "new" skulk a lot of games will look like this: very strong skulks killing a lot of marines and pushing back to one base.

this mod punishes bad skulks for bad movement. i imagine pub games will be somewhat marine sided for a bit

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2013
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ezekel wrote: »
    Aioros wrote: »
    so when is it going live?
    b4 the weekend or after?

969662_350307555095401_546089257_n.jpg
    This joke got too old 5 years ago :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Enough with the images! Just link them
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Enough with the images! Just link them

hard to contain our excitement
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    edited June 2013
    Hugh wrote: »
    Bumpskis for comment thread

Ah comrade Hugh, another fine bump, and another victory for mother Russia!

And the news is good news too!

2uiyz5d.jpg
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2013
    I would like to just shout "Don't jump at the wall, just jump when you are close to it" @Hugh when I see him play that Skulk (swinging the camera around that much must induce nausea). It's almost like watching TotalBiscuit play puzzle games…
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    I can't wait to come home drunk at 3am and see how this thread ended up.

Happy to see BTmod going official!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Zek wrote: »
    Really can't wait for all the BT drama to be behind us. The patch will go live, most of the changes will be popular, some of them won't be, more patches will come in the future and life goes on. At least we can be done with the doom and gloom predictions for a while.

I don't like 15% of the mod with a passion but I too found it annoying with arguments boiling down to subjective and anecdotal evidence for months. As soon as this thing goes live we can see how people react and whether certain doom and gloom predictions were false or correct.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Can't wait, the changes are great imo. Played it alot lately and the games are much more interesting.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    keep bunnyhop for skulk only. keep onos nerf. throw rest of alien changes in the bin. keep all/most of the marine changes. ns2=goodgame=kidsbuyit=$$ for hugh = omg ns2 competitive grows = i wont be so bad anymore
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I've played quite a few BT games recently and I can't wait for the changes to take effect. Vanilla NS2 is boring by comparison. I just hope that a few things can be polished before release, such as fade fragility vs shotties, some lerk movement issues that people have mentioned, etc. Players who don't visit the forums or play BT will likely complain about a few features here and there, but the rest of us are prepared for awesomeness. :)
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    As a self-aware hater, I'm looking forward to the new build. I like almost all of the change -- even the fade movement that will be way easier to learn for the average player. I really had a bad feeling a few weeks ago when I saw bunny hopping skulks back in the game, so I've been put quite at easy. Bingo shotguns are gone, sniper LMG has been reduced, lerk and JP movement are very responsive, etc. I still see some minor changes to the fade needed, but nothing drastic.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    I'm surprised the changes come so soon. Next patch already!

Because BT mod is even more inaccessible and un-obvious than live (note I didn't say it's bad, just even more complicated), I believe this
    biz wrote: »
    if it's just the current iteration of BT, this is going to be hilarious once live

way too soon. just like NS2 1.0

good luck. hope subsequent patches are quick, because you'll need it
    is a good prediction.

We'll see :p
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One thing I like about it is that the armoury doesn't repair armour. In BT mod you see alot more marines using wleders then normal and you see a lot more team work in that respect. Well done
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jeez, a guy puts off NS2 for just 3 weeks and it gets a huge performance upgrade and BT integration! Why'd it have to be during summer?!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    In cool man's land it's winter.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Whats the changes except for 25 pres lerk?
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited June 2013
    RadimaX wrote: »
    Whats the changes except for 25 pres lerk?
    Some changes are listed here, but I'm not sure how old the description is. Updates seem to be quite frequent. Someone on a BT server mentioned to me a complete changelog with all the updates listed, but I haven't been able to find anything.