Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Or researchable heavy weapon damage (Rhenium slugs or something). Better still, some genuine option of ammo choice for players (with trade-offs for higher damage/larger spread or similar) so you can get a good mix in a team for maximum effect. There are plenty of possibilities down this road, and I think it's worth experimenting with at least.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »

Anyway, it would be interesting to see perhaps a researchable upgrade for Shotguns. Make them start with the 6 rounds magazine and have a researchable upgrades to the previous 8 rounds, so you get a little more scalability for early game Shotguns. Would also help a bit with early marine tech explosion.

The SGs in Hugh's videos had 8 round magazines. Is that how it's going to be in 250 or will they have 6? I thought that, in the BT, they had been bumped down to 6 (haven't played it in a bit and it changes so quickly).
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does every bite of a skulk give 75 damage now? I liked the way of damagedealing by distance. but now a skulk can kill a marine with two bites no matter if he is close or little far away. this is really crap. all in all the skulk is a little bit op. in closer combat its nearly impossible now to kill a good skulk
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Skulks keep getting under my feet and it's impossibly to shoot them or move away, what is this ?
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I
    Rammler wrote: »
    Does every bite of a skulk give 75 damage now? I liked the way of damagedealing by distance. but now a skulk can kill a marine with two bites no matter if he is close or little far away. this is really crap. all in all the skulk is a little bit op. in closer combat its nearly impossible now to kill a good skulk

Actually, it still takes 2 bites + a parasite at armor 0 to kill a marine, then 3 and 4 bites.
  • Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members
    edited June 2013

Three bites(also need more bites as armour upgrades are done), only two if parasites are involved, though in essence it rewards accuracy, but has been made easier with the wider cone, though it's about time the skulk get some love, with the improved movement and bite cone, might be enjoyable using skulk in vanilla again.

Though Skulks still get wasted by decent aim and upgrades, also the shotgun as always makes short work of them.

Though it sounds like you haven't played it yet, do so, then comment.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I think that the skulk is in a really good place at the moment. Maybe still slightly too fast. But certainly more enjoyable than vanilla.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow

Three bites(also need more bites as armour upgrades are done), only two if parasites are involved, though in essence it rewards accuracy, but has been made easier with the wider cone, though it's about time the skulk get some love, with the improved movement and bite cone, might be enjoyable using skulk in vanilla again.

Though Skulks still get wasted by decent aim and upgrades, also the shotgun as always makes short work of them.

of course i played it. you are right about shotguns. but shotguns still cost 20 res and a skulk 0. so the spent of 20 res should be worth it. i also feel a little difference fighting a skulk in balancemod than in the vanilla ns2. maybe i need some time to adapt to the new skulk. but this is my first impression from the new skulk. it feels like pro skulks can rape marines more and better than before. i think its a little bit too much.
  • Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members

of course i played it. you are right about shotguns. but shotguns still cost 20 res and a skulk 0. so the spent of 20 res should be worth it. i also feel a little difference fighting a skulk in balancemod than in the vanilla ns2. maybe i need some time to adapt to the new skulk. but this is my first impression from the new skulk. it feels like pro skulks can rape marines more and better than before. i think its a little bit too much.

Though a good skulk should beat lesser marines, though a good marine will still do well against a good skulk, the problem in vanilla is that even if you're a good skulk you will still get destroyed.

I agree the shotgun should be good, but not to the point well it invalidates a life-form, which it does to most even the fade which is twice the resource cost.

But it seems the balance mod is trying to remove rambo style of play, which can only be a good thing, just need to nerf the shotgun and we'll be on a winning path.

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Scatter wrote: »
    Skulks keep getting under my feet and it's impossibly to shoot them or move away, what is this ?

This is an issue, not sure what is causing it
    Neoken wrote: »
    I think that the skulk is in a really good place at the moment. Maybe still slightly too fast. But certainly more enjoyable than vanilla.

disagree, I think it's in a fine place, celerity required to get 2nd sound now makes it an upgrade choice as well
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    ezekel wrote: »

disagree, I think it's in a fine place, celerity required to get 2nd sound now makes it an upgrade choice as well

I don't know about celerity when leap does that also. Is leap + celerity stacking even further?
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Fade damage needs to be buffed to 80 minimum, to stop A3 being a pointless upgrade that does nothing except accelerate marine late game as they have 40 less res to spend. (Also 4 hitting A2 is really lame).

Didn't puncture damage just get buffed? Swipe is still puncture right? The damage should be almost identical to in live vs. marines but less vs. structures. Seems like a weird thing to do but I'm sure Sewlek has a reason for it. (if this is out of date blame the changelog, I haven't played fade for a while)

Oh god I just thought I was being retarded or not used to the new movement code as marine, is this an actual thing that's been happening to other people?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    One of the changelogs said puncture got buffed, however it did not, it's still 75 damage. Live is 81 damage.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    as I doubt it will change regardless if its in or not.
    Can someone tell me if the 'bunnyhop' I detest so much is in the latest build?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

Bunnyhop, no.

Minor amounts of strafe acceleration, yes. Emphasis on minor.

rantology wrote: »

Bunnyhop, no.

Minor amounts of strafe acceleration, yes. Emphasis on minor.

You can't gain anything notable w/ strafing unless on a decline :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yay. my fingers (and my fine motor skills) thank Sewlek for that. :p
    Although I realise a lot of people are probably sad its not in.

Didnt expect that tbh. :)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Strafing is used to maintain speed, it just can't be used to gain speed. So you don't have to use it to move quickly, but it is present.
  • RioSRioS Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22652Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Here some feedback from new balance test:
    - I think flamethrowers should be at 20 pres like shotguns, I dont think they worth more than shotguns.
    - Mines are too expensive or not enougth effective. May be 10 pres for mines could be better ? or make then not blow in chain when they R too tight
    - I think carapace upgrade is not worth it compared to regen. It should give a little more carapace.
    - With the cist cooldown when destroyed, marines just have to focus cists to do massive damages to harvesters. I think marines should have to focus more on harvester than cists. What the point of this cooldown ?
    - What about useless bablers ? :P

Anyway great job so far.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Greatest way to buff babblers is to make them not a nightmare to actually use with any sort of organisation or precision. They need to be quicker to attach to aliens, and the bait ball should be replaced with an accurate hitscan parasite like ability. And fuck babbler eggs.

I thought all speed gain or momentum conservation was removed from strafe jumping. I strafe anyway, but I had heard that the exact same effects could be done by just holding W and jumping. Very sad if it is gone completely, or that the effects of doing it are so minuscule in most circumstances.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Flamethrowers can wreck faces, especially when used in groups and against structures. They are quite powerful, so the cost is warranted. The problem is that the Shotgun is often even more powerful when it comes down to ttk.

If Mines were any cheaper, they could be spammed too easily. Two marines buying Mines is often enough to secure a position against a few waves of Skulks who would have wreaked havoc there otherwise. And if they wouldn't blow each other up, you could drop all three mines easily at a PG and be safe against three Skulk attacks there, rather than only one. The way it is now, you have to spread the stuff out or hold onto it and replace it once a Mine blew up.

Making the cutting of Cysts viable was a point of that change. Structures take more minimum damage off infestation as well. The delay on replacing them is to prevent annoying spamming of new Cysts that the marines would have to deal with constantly.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is the skulk supposed to stop dead in mid-air when you spin backwards after jumping? I understand not instantly changing momentum in the air, but instantly stopping just because you turned in mid-air is quite jarring. I would think that you would continue on your current trajectory until you hit a surface before any change in momentum is applied.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is the skulk supposed to stop dead in mid-air when you spin backwards after jumping? I understand not instantly changing momentum in the air, but instantly stopping just because you turned in mid-air is quite jarring. I would think that you would continue on your current trajectory until you hit a surface before any change in momentum is applied.

Helicopter skulks?

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Last I checked, if you hold crouch while not bunnyhopping you gain speed slowly because it makes you fall faster
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2013
    Jekt wrote: »
    Greatest way to buff babblers is to make them not a nightmare to actually use with any sort of organisation or precision. They need to be quicker to attach to aliens, and the bait ball should be replaced with an accurate hitscan parasite like ability. And fuck babbler eggs.

Need Pikmin/Overlord-like minion control. :D
    (I think in Overlord you just had to hold primary and alternative fire simultaneously to get into the direct control mode for your minions in which you were basically moving an invisible probe around in the game world that the minions would then run towards and perform context-sensitive actions.)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

It is? Must be a very recent change then? Cause I could swear I've been able to get it without celerity when I played it yesterday.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can get it with leap also.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Runteh wrote: »
    That is not the impression I had from the play test videos. Also, there is more to it than just 'shoot it with half a mag when it dive bombs you' when clearly it is a lot faster now and harder to hit.

Twitch shooters have never been that tactical, unless they give you space and time to be.

I don't think ns2 has the right balance, combat is messy and can get dull.

People talk about how the early game is great, well that is because the lerk and fade destroy tactical play and positioning.

Unless they've significantly buffed Lerks as of 9:00pm PST/12:00am EST last night, the BT Lerk is both slower, has less hitpoints, and carries it's momentum so it's a little harder to maneuver. Tactical play and positioning are hands down the best ways to deal with higher life forms, in vanilla and BT.

Yeah, I have this problem too. Thankfully it isn't a HUGE issue since the general idea is to kill them before they get that close, but when it happens I often feel like I got robbed xD

I think the problem is you used to be able to kind of jump over the skulks, and I don't think that works now. Skulks feel much stickier in general, too, so they probably just have an easier time staying by your feet since they aren't as floaty as they are in the vanilla build.

It is? Must be a very recent change then? Cause I could swear I've been able to get it without celerity when I played it yesterday.

I don't know about yesterday, but I know for certain that 2 days ago I was getting to the "roar" without celerity or leap.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013