Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Dropped lmg in the field can still be picked up?

Scatter wrote: »
    Cara now gives the lerk 30 extra armor instead of 15
    Great, but i still rather not rely on an upgrade to make a lifeform viable. The sentiments on the lerk in the last few pages are indicative that an upgrade alone will not suffice.

Agreed, cara should not be mandatory and if anything I'd rather see it as the least desirable upgrade than the most. I've found most of the other upgrades quite useful and brought variety to my lerk play:

Adrenaline - umbra spam
    Regen - good for staying in the field and harassing
    Cara - melee, safety net
    Aura - very good for scouting and not dying to ambushes
    Phantom - Haven't used this much because aura is so good. The silent spikes are undermined by visible tracers. Tracers should be invisible when phantom is chosen.
    Celerity - No reason to choose this other than to be able to outrun a JP chasing you. The speed increase should be significantly more and it could possibly boost movement in general.

Biomass currently gives about 3 hp per level so at level 6 biomass you have 140/30 instead of 125/30 and at level 9 this would be 149/30, 24 extra HP against weapons that do 30% more damage, exos, JP's and advanced weapons probably is not enough.

• RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    BT is bugged atm, higher lifeforms cant move
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That seems unlikely, is NS2stats on? That causes so many issues it's not funny.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Had to revoke my agree vote when i spotted this one
    Celerity - No reason to choose this other than to be able to outrun a JP chasing you. The speed increase should be significantly more and it could possibly boost movement in general.
    The lerk was supposed to be the fastest lifeform originally, and was meant for quick scouting, harassing, and occasional support roles. (more like force multiplier)

Its always meant to be somewhat fragile too, to better perform these roles. So it's ability to survive comes purely from it's ability to out manuever/dodge/juke marine aim.
    Celerity helps out with this, and critical moments like escaping a room. (but you're right it needs to be more)
    I do agree that it's recent flight model changes have lessened the impact of this upgrade.. a slow lerk is a slow lerk, even with celerity... but thats sorta the reason why it's important too is because of it's once again reduced speed that so negatively impacts it's viability.
    It doesn't help that quick dodge movements while spiking aren't as effected by celerity either though..

Everything else i agree with. :)
    Gone from treading the disagree line to treading the agree line. Lawdy the planets must have aligned or something lately. :)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Had to revoke my agree vote when i spotted this one
    The lerk was supposed to be the fastest lifeform originally, and was meant for quick scouting, harassing, and occasional support roles. (more like force multiplier)

Its always meant to be somewhat fragile too, to better perform these roles. So it's ability to survive comes purely from it's ability to out manuever/dodge/juke marine aim.
    Celerity helps out with this, and critical moments like escaping a room. (but you're right it needs to be more)
    I do agree that it's recent flight model changes have lessened the impact of this upgrade.. a slow lerk is a slow lerk, even with celerity... but thats sorta the reason why it's important too is because of it's once again reduced speed that so negatively impacts it's viability.
    It doesn't help that quick dodge movements while spiking aren't as effected by celerity either though..

Everything else i agree with. :)

Pretty much agreed with the description above, and I was just saying celerity in its current form in BT is not worth picking because 1.5 m/s more is not significant enough to be considered a "play style" choice as I envision the upgrades being. It's simply not worth picking at the moment over adren, and the shift upgrades in general seem to be the least popular from observing pugs/pubs lately.

The ns2c/ns1 lerk is a fair bit quicker with the same HP and primary weapons system that doesn't require a whole lot of accuracy (projectile spores).
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    Runteh wrote: »
    Hallucinations are for:

1) Annoying the competitive scene.
    2) Spamming an opposing team at the end of the game just for the hell of it.
    3) Causing loads of lag on public servers.

I honestly think Shade just annoys people because it takes too much away from the PVP gameplay.

Why use generic style upgrades, when you could do so much with what the game already has. What if the shade could be used to manipulate the environment, such as locking doors temporarily or turning out the lights? Or what about effecting the marine commander and or buildings?

You can reset easy, as those concerns are already addressed.

Only one hallucination of a unit can be created at any time (just tested in game to confirm).

Drifters, MACs and Hallucinations no longer block bullets due to the new "soft target" feature.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    If anyone is interested, there's a playtest video of 250 that is said to include a "substantial" portion of the BT:

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Gorge is a little OP. I think it spits too fast. I would suggest reducing the rate of fire by maybe 15% and see what happens. Was able to get a high kdr in a few games tonight.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Can't watch that whole thing right now, but at 2:55 he moves backward at forward speed. That better not happen lol
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Watching Hugh play skulk like its live is so frustrating lol. Learn to walljump bro!
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    I don't know the more I play this mod the worse it is for alien. Like Rofl said higher life forms can't move and die so easily. I'm not the best player but in old NS2 it was more balanced imo.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Can't watch that whole thing right now, but at 2:55 he moves backward at forward speed. That better not happen lol

Thats the new "advanced movement" for marines! Move really fast at the tradeoff of having to go backwards :p

j/k
    There are some bugs in the lerk movement as shown in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5OWcFrDYxco

First one is the ability to stop mid air while holding space and W. The second one is the ability to shark lerk like in the live build but instead of it happening automatically you just need to hold control. Flies at max speed without needing to flap.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks like the no tres drops and no commander pres changes have already been reverted
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm glad for that, I wasn't a fan of the tres->pres tbh, I prefer drops.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zek wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, there's a playtest video of 250 that is said to include a "substantial" portion of the BT:

lmao. mod has been out for months and in video 2 hugh says he has no idea what biomass is and he couldn't even try to explain it xD
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. We're talking about Hugh here.

To anyone that might be wondering, Biomass is a health scaling system for the aliens that can be researched at the hive by the alien commander. More hives allows for more biomass levels to be researched.

Biomass levels unlock evolutions that can then be researched (leap, bile, xenocide, etc). Which evolutions are available for research is represented by the bar in the top left hand corner when you open your map.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I have the minimap bound to C just like NS1 and it's now the same hotkey as one of the hive abilities ("Expanding here" I think). Is there any way to remap?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nope. Not unless Sewlek changes it.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I think the Lerk is far too aggressive. I'd rather see it as a support and harassment unit that takes opportunities to bite in big marine skulk mash ups.

It is bad enough fighting skulks and fades, but lerks really ruin things for me. This game can get too messy.

Make spores projectile, maybe umbra crop dusters and drop his health.

I like that when you are playing games like cs that you are tactically aware of where players are and can prepare yourself accordingly. The Lerk is that element that breaks this for me, and things get messy. Especially as fades can break these lines down already.
    Desther wrote: »
    I have the minimap bound to C just like NS1 and it's now the same hotkey as one of the hive abilities ("Expanding here" I think). Is there any way to remap?

On a related note, why did he change some of the hotkeys (eg. the A key on hive to make drifters) to different ones to add new buttons? Why not put the new buttons on the new keys? (eg. Spawn eggs is now A, drifters are S, why isn't it the other way around?)
    I think the Lerk is far too aggressive. I'd rather see it as a support and harassment unit that takes opportunities to bite in big marine skulk mash ups.

It is bad enough fighting skulks and fades, but lerks really ruin things for me. This game can get too messy.

I like that when you are playing games like cs that you are tactically aware of where players are and can prepare yourself accordingly. The Lerk is that element that breaks this for me, and things get messy. Especially as fades can break these lines down already.

Uhhhh what? If a lerk divebombs you, shoot him. I don't think it even takes half a rifle mag to kill one. Lerks are pretty crap at anything other than spiking and shooting umbra right now.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Nope. Not unless Sewlek changes it.

That's a shame. It's really annoying to have to right-click to disable the action every time I use the minimap as commander.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Desther wrote: »

On a related note, why did he change some of the hotkeys (eg. the A key on hive to make drifters) to different ones to add new buttons? Why not put the new buttons on the new keys? (eg. Spawn eggs is now A, drifters are S, why isn't it the other way around?)

It's funny that people use the report function when they disagree with posts.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Uhhhh what? If a lerk divebombs you, shoot him. I don't think it even takes half a rifle mag to kill one. Lerks are pretty crap at anything other than spiking and shooting umbra right now.

That is not the impression I had from the play test videos. Also, there is more to it than just 'shoot it with half a mag when it dive bombs you' when clearly it is a lot faster now and harder to hit.

Twitch shooters have never been that tactical, unless they give you space and time to be.

I don't think ns2 has the right balance, combat is messy and can get dull.

People talk about how the early game is great, well that is because the lerk and fade destroy tactical play and positioning.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013

That is not the impression I had from the play test videos. Also, there is more to it than just 'shoot it with half a mag when it dive bombs you' when clearly it is a lot faster now and harder to hit.

Twitch shooters have never been that tactical, unless they give you space and time to be.

I don't think ns2 has the right balance, combat is messy and can get dull.

People talk about how the early game is great, well that is because the lerk and fade destroy tactical play and positioning.
    Of course twitch shooters can be tactical. Pace doesn't exclude tactics, it alters the tactics you can use, and mainly just forces you to make decisions/communicate faster. It only looks messy when you're not used to such a high pace.

Anyway, at the moment the lerk is exactly how you wanted it to be. It's mainly for harassment, scouting, area denial, and support, as going in solo for bites is extremely risky against any decent marine player with med support.

• BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    I didnt get the idea of no pres for the com.
    Does the com generate pres in vanilla or bt ?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    BoBiNoU wrote: »

In the most recent version the comm was starting with 0 pres instead of the usual 20. And when you left the Hive, you had to wait 30 seconds (5 res ticks) before you would start to gain pres again.
    edited June 2013
    Fade damage needs to be buffed to 80 minimum, to stop A3 being a pointless upgrade that does nothing except accelerate marine late game as they have 40 less res to spend. (Also 4 hitting A2 is really lame).
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    CrushaK wrote: »

In the most recent version the comm was starting with 0 pres instead of the usual 20. And when you left the Hive, you had to wait 30 seconds (5 res ticks) before you would start to gain pres again.
    This was removed and tres drops restored AFAIK.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Mendasp wrote: »
    CrushaK wrote: »

This was removed and tres drops restored AFAIK.

That's why I said "was".

Anyway, it would be interesting to see perhaps a researchable upgrade for Shotguns. Make them start with the 6 rounds magazine and have a researchable upgrades to the previous 8 rounds, so you get a little more scalability for early game Shotguns. Would also help a bit with early marine tech explosion.