Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    kalakuja wrote: »
    please bring back boosting with mines. Why decrease the depth?

WHAT?!?! Nobody fucks with my mine ladders! Not cool sewlek... Not cool...
  • Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members
    I believe the shotguns rate of fire needs to be decreased, it's ripping apart higher lifeforms, most games I'm seeing now is the match starts balanced and roughly equal, then shotguns come out and all the lifeforms start to drop, also because of the increase rate of fire, misses mean less, because you've got the chance to hit again.

I suggest lower the rate by quite a bit, maybe the levels of the vanilla, maybe even lower, but increase it's power, so misses mean something but still has it's positive, aliens should be rewarded for their movement, but it's seems you do all the weaving, get a few hits then bang shotgun wipes you out.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Any reason we couldn't shrink the MACs to 50% of their original size? I don't see why they need to be as big as they are and their size can get frustrating occasionally.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited June 2013
    Tweadle wrote: »
    Any reason we couldn't shrink the MACs to 50% of their original size? I don't see why they need to be as big as they are and their size can get frustrating occasionally.

Nice idea, lets take it one step further.

http://sverigesradio.se/diverse/appdata/isidor/images/news_images/106/1720034_520_292.jpg
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Agiel wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Hotseat commander play should be discouraged, the game is more fun when the commander is focused on leading his team. That strategy for aliens was just a natural extension of the alien comm not having much to do, which obviously should be fixed and not embraced.
    Discouraged, yes. Punished, no. The alien commander now has a lot more to do which should encourage him to stay in the hive. I don't see the point in punishing someone for temporarily entering the cc/hive in an emergency situation. The same goes for the starting res. What if there's only a few people on the server and you just want to get a game going? No one will want to jump into the chair because they'll be set 20 res behind.
    It doesn't matter how much the alien commander has to do, it matters if every game inevitably produces a 100 pres wild card.

It was like this in the alpha and beta for a very long time until it was removed for good reason, Imo.
    Since, even with equal "presence demanding mechanics" between comm and khamm, all it introduces is a sense of un earned pres (commander spends resources all round already - the team's, and that's *his* meta game, he didn't have to manage pres on the battlefield! ) that must always always always be used because the other team will..

.. Only leading to turtles - not come backs

Edit : but of course make earning pres instant when stepping out.
    Edit: everyone was talking about no starting pres for commanders, something i was not aware of, and not the subject i was arguing on. Disregard all, i guess.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    alien strategy additions are good
    but making it require more time in the hive is bad

waiting for infestation to grow is boring

also on the marine side there needs to be more consideration for large teams of bad players
    needing to spend so much res on early infantry portals is boring
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    Commander P-Res removal would cause quite severe problems in public games.

Firstly, players may become even more hesitant to play as the commander, leading to longer pre-game waiting time.

Unlike in organized matches, commanders are voted off much more often in public games. The ejected comm would now be punished severely resource-wise, and feel inclined to leave the game, further destabilizing and demoralizing the team.

Additionally, it is simply not fun for the commander to be stripped of one's power to participate in other parts of the game, outside of the station/hive. For example, the commander would not even be able to afford a welder or shotgun to defend the base, and depend on other players for donations, or heal structures as a common Gorge.

These massive P-Res penalties on the commander should be revered ASAP IMO, as their negative impact on the game far outweigh the positives. The commanders should be made to feel empowered in their roles, rather than powerless outside of them.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Commander P-Res removal would cause quite severe problems in public games.
    Firstly, players may become even more hesitant to play as the commander, leading to longer pre-game waiting time.
    It has been removed for some time already in vanilla .. :-? .. and that hasn't been the case.
    I don't believe one thread or any feedback has ever declared such!..

However, many threads have been created on the many, many other factors which result in someone not wanting to command - most notably the pressure from teammates.
    The ejected comm would now be punished severely resource-wise, and feel inclined to leave the game, further destabilizing and demoralizing the team.
    That.. sorta is the result of booting your commander, yeah?.. regardless of their willingness to command.
    This happens even if the commander leaves mid session and is remedied the same exact way.
    Additionally, it is simply not fun for the commander to be stripped of one's power to participate in other parts of the game, outside of the station/hive. For example, the commander would not even be able to afford a welder or shotgun to defend the base, and depend on other players for donations, or heal structures as a common Gorge.
    These massive P-Res penalties on the commander should be revered ASAP IMO, as their negative impact on the game far outweigh the positives. The commanders should be made to feel empowered in their roles, rather than powerless outside of them.
    I highly disagree.. this is the entire purpose behind making the alien commander required to be in the hive more.. because they are supposed to be severely discouraged from participating in other parts of the game outside of the station/hive.

It is designed as a commitment, to your team, not something you jump in and out of occasionally when you want to research an upgrade for your lifeform.

And the only benefit from this is one individual's satiation of being able to command a whole game, and then introduce said wild card of 100 pres that they did not have to manage the entire time like the rest of their team.. at the cost of the downsides mentioned previously. Its not even random if its guaranteed every round by both teams.. its just an annoying imbalance.

The satiation should come from commanding an excellent game. And failing to do so should be equally instructional, imo, not provide you with an Onos to delay a game already lost.

Edit: everyone was talking about no starting pres for commanders, something i was not aware of, and not the subject i was arguing on. Disregard all, i guess.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    Noticed tonight you can regen while in combat. I can sit there and spike marines while healing mid flight. That seems incredibly broken.

We also noticed a strange issue with backwards movement. Me and colt could actually move backwards at or greater then forward speed while other members on our team had normal backwards speed.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is focus back in yet? : D
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    current1y wrote: »
    Noticed tonight you can regen while in combat. I can sit there and spike marines while healing mid flight. That seems incredibly broken.

We also noticed a strange issue with backwards movement. Me and colt could actually move backwards at or greater then forward speed while other members on our team had normal backwards speed.

I like the regen in combat, but I've heard a lot of people complaining that it makes it hard to kill rt biting skulks. I don't think that'll be a huge problem since we'll (supposedly) be getting hand grenades soon. People complain about fades being weak but I've found regen fade to be perfectly viable and actually far superior to cara fade. I'd hate to see regen nerfed, unless cara was buffed or shotguns nerfed enough to make it useful again.

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Regen has worked in combat practically since the inception of the BT mod. Dunno if the values have changed since then or not but it always seemed fine to me. As always it heals your health before armor so it doesn't add that much effective HP in combat.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

I think Lerk HP is low enough that without Cara, they drop fast to Shotguns. Regen has reduced healing effect while taking damage, which is unlikely to save any Lerk from sharpshooter marines.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

I think Lerk HP is low enough that without Cara, they drop fast to Shotguns. Regen has reduced healing effect while taking damage, which is unlikely to save any Lerk from sharpshooter marines.

Be fair, nothing can save a lerk from sharpshooter marines in bt as the lerk is both less manoeuvrable and less healthy now, and marines have an easier time shooting since the recent performance improvements. The lerk is not in a good place in bt at all just now and needs some love, preferably to movement AND effective hp.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Cara now gives the lerk 30 extra armor instead of 15
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, every time I play lerk I just feel like this:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2qk05c0.jpg
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Hey @Sewlek (idk if that just works), can you fix something broken in live?

When dropping LMGs was removed because of them being all dropped at the armory, dropping LMGs was also removed on the field. Now the most important impact of this is that you can't pick up a dead marines ammo. This is more important in pubs, but has a micro effect on marine economy. Personally I'd rather the LMG drop anytime you die, but not when you buy a gun. (Picking up a 2nd LMG is quicker than a reload, I do it with shotguns in pubs and pugs and scrims and matches alike)

Anyway, atleast have LMG marines drop their ammo.
    Dropped lmg in the field can still be picked up?

Scatter wrote: »
    Cara now gives the lerk 30 extra armor instead of 15
    Great, but i still rather not rely on an upgrade to make a lifeform viable. The sentiments on the lerk in the last few pages are indicative that an upgrade alone will not suffice.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    IronHorse wrote: »

Lol. Ok whatever you say.
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    I dont like cara upgrade. With bio-mass system it is a waste of upgrade slot. Lets make khara armor scalable like hp is. I would replace it with focus upgrade (more damage, more stamina cost, slower bites). 1 building 35% more dmg, 35% more stamina cost and 35% higher bite/swipe reuse, next 70% and finally 100% (depends of number of buildings).
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    I agree the frequency you see hallucinations and the damage they can take while attempting to point out the 2 live fades attempting to kill you is rater rage inducing.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hallucinations are for:

1) Annoying the competitive scene.
    2) Spamming an opposing team at the end of the game just for the hell of it.
    3) Causing loads of lag on public servers.

I honestly think Shade just annoys people because it takes too much away from the PVP gameplay.

Why use generic style upgrades, when you could do so much with what the game already has. What if the shade could be used to manipulate the environment, such as locking doors temporarily or turning out the lights? Or what about effecting the marine commander and or buildings?

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Runteh wrote: »
    Hallucinations are for:

1) Annoying the competitive scene.
    2) Spamming an opposing team at the end of the game just for the hell of it.
    3) Causing loads of lag on public servers.

Two outta three ain't bad. I say leave it in.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What about the shade structure upgrade being hive sight (Sensory Chamber fro NS1)?

Let them passively have the aura ability (as an upgrade, of course)
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »

Think he means that dead marines should drop their LMGs, so that you can pick up their extra ammo in the field like NS1.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Runteh wrote: »

Why use generic style upgrades, when you could do so much with what the game already has. What if the shade could be used to manipulate the environment, such as locking doors temporarily or turning out the lights? Or what about effecting the marine commander and or buildings?

Would be nice if shad could also hide marine structures. "Hey, I thought we had a phase gate in here..."
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If drifter hallucinations are annoying(have yet to really see them in use so I dunno) it would also be cool if drifters had a Shade ability to kill the lights temporarily.