I'm takin' you with me!

MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
I would love to see some interactive objects on maps, right now we have lights (controlled by power nodes), infestation (controlled by cysts), lava, and death pits.

What I'm looking for is rooms with traps, or moving objects like the smasher in mineshaft. My choice one would be an air lock, shuttle bay would be an amazing place to implement this, one button and the room locks down and the contents are ejected into space. Heavy units like Onos or exos can resist the pull, and have a chance to survive but smaller light units are instagibbed
Even just moving machinery in places like drone bay or in repair on tram. I think this would add an extra level of strategy to the game, it would force people to set up traps and choose routes more carefully.

Plus when I'm in a room with 4 skulks I like the idea of being able to back up and trap 1-2 of them with me into a cold airless grave.

Comments

• SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Heh, and here I thought this was about weldables and proper NS/HL Hammer Editor entities, I'd sign up for that in an instance. But this stuff is just pure evil :P Do not want in official maps in any case
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    I like the idea. My first impulse was to say "shut up and take my money", but after brief consideration I think not everyone would approve of this. I managed to get pancaked a couple of times in the press over in mineshaft. Not everyone get's happy when their skulk is smeared on the floor by a 10 ton machine or some other part of the environment...
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    If it was put in a contained area, so much like the smasher, have a small hallway that is booby trapped. Even if the controls weren't in the room but put on a different side of the map requiring team work or on a timer.
  • IckorusIckorus Join Date: 2012-07-12 Member: 154057Members
    As much as I would love to see this I can see it presenting some balance and uh.. rage issues.

That said, I would like to see more environmental hazards in future such as a ventilation system which occasionally turns on and minces those inside it. (With a audio & visual warning such as flashing lights and a whirring noise)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2013-05-09 Member: 185176
    Some interactive stuff would be nice, no things that kill players, just something that gives the player the feeling that he can interact with the map and change it to some degree. For example: Room with a laser in it, if you power up all nodes in the rooms next to it, it will turn on.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Everyone would abuse the hell out of interactive things like airlocks like destruction in Battlefield. "Look at this I can shoot out each one of these lights, pew pew, pew pew." - "Oh look I'm a troll, look at what I can do to half my team in this room with an airlock!"

However interactive things, like lasers as Discowitz mentioned, I can't see how it could be implemented, but using the map itself to kill enemy players (slam a skulk shut in a door, mounted guns?), would be pretty cool.

Also, nice bump.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    Montyp wrote: »
    If it was put in a contained area, so much like the smasher, have a small hallway that is booby trapped. Even if the controls weren't in the room but put on a different side of the map requiring team work or on a timer.
    xBlueXFoxx wrote: »
    Everyone would abuse the hell out of interactive things like airlocks like destruction in Battlefield. "Look at this I can shoot out each one of these lights, pew pew, pew pew." - "Oh look I'm a troll, look at what I can do to half my team in this room with an airlock!"

However interactive things, like lasers as Discowitz mentioned, I can't see how it could be implemented, but using the map itself to kill enemy players (slam a skulk shut in a door, mounted guns?), would be pretty cool.

Also, nice bump.

how about have the one activating it has to be on the room when it activates so hes dies along with the poor aliens but if they are smart they(aliens) can disable the trap permanently for the rest of the game so thats a possible balance...
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm still not seeing it, interactive features like that I can see being used for trolling, I can easily be an asshole and bring half my team with me and easily launch them right out into space. If interactive things are to be added it shouldn't be counter productive.
    xBlueXFoxx wrote: »
    I'm still not seeing it, interactive features like that I can see being used for trolling, I can easily be an asshole and bring half my team with me and easily launch them right out into space. If interactive things are to be added it shouldn't be counter productive.

you have a point

• MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    They are smart they(aliens) can disable the trap permanently for the rest of the game so thats a possible balance...

In NS1 they had weldable vents and doors, if these items could be destroyed, they should also be able to be welded and put back into working order after a very long weld process, mounted turrets across a large room that are semi accurate would be a nice touch, being able to weld vents shut at certain tech points would be nice to help fortify an area.
    Montyp wrote: »
    They are smart they(aliens) can disable the trap permanently for the rest of the game so thats a possible balance...

In NS1 they had weldable vents and doors, if these items could be destroyed, they should also be able to be welded and put back into working order after a very long weld process, mounted turrets across a large room that are semi accurate would be a nice touch, being able to weld vents shut at certain tech points would be nice to help fortify an area.

thats great for marines but what about aliens? what would they have to defend their base when it attacked an no one is there? do they have hydras? which are useless when shot because of the flinching they do, whips are only useful in close range/for grenades so there's that. does the infection take over the turrets or something?idk there has to be a balance for the aliens