co_portals - Community Made Fun Map!

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited May 2013
    This looks amazing!

Really well designed chandeliers, look like something you'd find in an awesome design shop IRL.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited June 2013
    @Evil_bOb1 I have it in but there are smoothing issues. See Flat's most recent post on how to fix them. I think this is the only area that really needs to be fixed:
    jOvccLb.jpg
    I think I can fix it if you have any issues, just will take me a little.

@WorthyRival your outside area is huuuge! It's no problem now but we might have to move it out further if there is a conflict. I'll only pass file back to you if I move it and it has texture issues - texture lock don't fail me now!

@Rudy.cz you posted a file a page or so ago, but said you have changes. I think I'm still waiting for final version? Let me know!

If you need to redo your version from the final it's pretty easy for me to re-copypasta, just let me know!

I actually only have 2 rooms into the final right now so I haven't published yet. One more room and I publish!
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Don't be affaird of moving mine around. There are not a lot of textures and all are just centered and fitted so if it shifts double click the floor geo it will select all the geo and center and fit and all the textures will correct themselves.

I do have some custom OCC inside of my room. Which gives a 30fps increase in some areas. I'm more worried how that will copy over. Either way both those problems are easy to fix.
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    Don't be affaird of moving mine around. There are not a lot of textures and all are just centered and fitted so if it shifts double click the floor geo it will select all the geo and center and fit and all the textures will correct themselves.

I do have some custom OCC inside of my room. Which gives a 30fps increase in some areas. I'm more worried how that will copy over. Either way both those problems are easy to fix.

Ok I think I see what's going on - I'll just have to copy it over in 2 phases, no problem. When I take a look at what is set as occlusion however, it might be missing faces?
    28trs9C.jpg

What I'll set for occlusion will be pretty basic - just an outline to hide it from the other rooms. So if you need occlusion INSIDE your room, please include it or let me know. I assumed most rooms would not be large enough to warrant the necessity for interior occlusion, but please let me know if I'm incorrect.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If you click on the OCC group in my map it's already selected. To make it easy just send me the map when you have included OCC and I'll add my custom OCC then and send it back to you. Should only take 10 minutes to do.
    If you click on the OCC group in my map it's already selected. To make it easy just send me the map when you have included OCC and I'll add my custom OCC then and send it back to you. Should only take 10 minutes to do.

Maybe I'm going crazy, but that's all I get when I select the OcclusionGeometry group and copy it to a new file. That screenshot is lit unnecessarily. I'm happy to pass file back to you for final occlusion! I'll let you know.
    I have posted the first alpha on the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=148929224

My to do list:
    -Occlusion: none is done in this version
    -Temporary Ambient light - this might mess up your current room lighting, but I'm using it until we get more rooms in so testers can see where they're going.
    -Something else I forgot already, will edit.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited May 2013
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    @Rudy.cz you posted a file a page or so ago, but said you have changes. I think I'm still waiting for final version? Let me know!

Nope, that was the most final version :-) Here is the link to download once more.
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    Nope, that was the most final version :-) Here is the link to download once more.

Great I'll add it tonight. Sorry for my confusion.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    @DarkSeraph Hey, concerning the 'issues' you pointed out, the smoothing just won't work right with such a curvature face. I have tried different stuff and it won't reflect the effect I'm going for, so, I just randomized it. I could just change the aspect of that face and smooth either horizontally or vertically ... I ended up accepting it as sheet of folded metal or something.
    Evil_bOb1 wrote: »
    @DarkSeraph Hey, concerning the 'issues' you pointed out, the smoothing just won't work right with such a curvature face. I have tried different stuff and it won't reflect the effect I'm going for, so, I just randomized it. I could just change the aspect of that face and smooth either horizontally or vertically ... I ended up accepting it as sheet of folded metal or something.

No problem. I think I like it better with the vertical smoothed - I think its slightly less eye-catching, but still isn't quite right. Anyone else have any suggestions? Since you can only smooth one direction not sure if it's better with the cross hatch or not.

NruMTET.jpg

Also I named your room 'Nautilus' - I think it fits, but let me know if you want to change it.
    If you will make the map ready by Sunday evening, we could include it to the Spark Crafters Collective playtest session.
    Latest is up on the workshop. Great job guys - 40% complete!

I am having an issue with the occlusion however. Occlusion at the moment is just a basic box, but when you look around in gravity hub you can see pieces of other rooms. Does the occlusion geo have to be up close to the 'glass' to block vis?

@Braw Any chance you're already done? You posted awesome screenshots a while ago & disappeared!

@Rudy your crags & spurs are killable - it's not a huge deal, but is it intentional?

@WorthyRival the center marine portal gives me issues sometimes, should I lower it?

First thing I've noticed: as gorge its easy to avoid marine by going back & forth between the same portal - until someone else interrupts of course.
    @Rudy your crags & spurs are killable - it's not a huge deal, but is it intentional?

No big deal really, they are there just for "decoration". I used the vanilla entities for structures, because they are animated. If you don't like them killable, I can create a cinematic or you can replace them with static model (or maybe prop_dynamic will work ?)
    First thing I've noticed: as gorge its easy to avoid marine by going back & forth between the same portal - until someone else interrupts of course.

Maybe giving the portals 2 sec cooldown could fix the issue ?

So far, good job on bringing it together !

No big deal really, they are there just for "decoration". I used the vanilla entities for structures, because they are animated. If you don't like them killable, I can create a cinematic or you can replace them with static model (or maybe prop_dynamic will work ?)

Maybe giving the portals 2 sec cooldown could fix the issue ?

So far, good job on bringing it together !

Honestly it doesn't really matter - it's not like anyone is getting xp from killing them. If we really want to make sure they stick around to the end of the round you have two great options - cinematic or prop_dynamic. I tried to select the crag model with prop_dynamic and had no luck, but I might be doing it wrong. In other news I have no idea how to create a prop_dynamic without copying from another map!

Actually, it currently is 2 seconds cooldown. What that really means is if you teleport there and teleport back, you can't teleport the original direction in that 2 second period - it doesn't affect entering the original exit! So maybe something longer? 3-5 seconds?

We'll talk about my occlusion issue tomorrow I hope.
    I have a quick solution for the occlusion issue - we'll just change the Y coordinate significantly, such that you cannot see the other rooms.

This will fix gravity hub - but for the one window in circus I'm not sure if I should bother moving circus too, or just find something to cover the one hole.
    Or maybe you can try to ma a double sided occlusion geometry around each room, preventing seeing in and out of the room at the same time.
    Or maybe you can try to ma a double sided occlusion geometry around each room, preventing seeing in and out of the room at the same time.

It was a good idea, but does not appear to have worked - it's live on workshop now.

I've rotated the marine teleport_trigger in Gravity Hub by 90. It seems to work better but I have no idea why.
    The teleporters entrance and exit is exactly where it should of been. I tested this for hours. If you have moved it, entering it from another angle it will seem off center. If you follow the teleporters guides rails that demonstate which direction it faces. If you follow lines back to where they all meet thats exactly where you enter and exit the teleporter. ( I tested this for ages ) trust me.
    edited June 2013
    The teleporters entrance and exit is exactly where it should of been. I tested this for hours. If you have moved it, entering it from another angle it will seem off center. If you follow the teleporters guides rails that demonstate which direction it faces. If you follow lines back to where they all meet thats exactly where you enter and exit the teleporter. ( I tested this for ages ) trust me.

I am considerably less concerned with what direction you exit that portal than the actual ability to enter it.

I think it's straight up cruel to have one of the only 2 entrances to the marine base take onos 10 tries to enter.

I'll replace it with your original. I'm worried I'll just avoid the room when I'm on aliens I guess.
    I noticed a few things I wasn't happy with in the main file and noticed they came from the file I uploaded :p

download

There aren't much changes. I corrected that vertex that somehow went out of place in the cave part (which was my main concern). Put the smoothing vertical on that curved ramp, so it emphasizes the ramp of it. Other minor smoothing tweaks. Location entity with proper name. And some minor detailing which doesn't really change much.

From my personal little test of the main file, its already pretty fun not knowing where to go and all :p But I'm sure if you play it plenty you'll end up knowing all that.
    Evil_bOb1 wrote: »
    I noticed a few things I wasn't happy with in the main file and noticed they came from the file I uploaded :p

download

There aren't much changes. I corrected that vertex that somehow went out of place in the cave part (which was my main concern). Put the smoothing vertical on that curved ramp, so it emphasizes the ramp of it. Other minor smoothing tweaks. Location entity with proper name. And some minor detailing which doesn't really change much.

From my personal little test of the main file, its already pretty fun not knowing where to go and all :p But I'm sure if you play it plenty you'll end up knowing all that.

No problem - I'll updated the file tonight. Thanks for all of the fixes! I didn't even notice some of those.

During Sunday's playtest someone had the great idea of having the portal look like it is looking through to the next room. It will take some work but once all of the rooms are in I will try to take the screenshots to create the textures necessary to make that happen. You still won't navigate the map very well, but at least you'll know what room you're going to.
    edited June 2013
    The idea with screenshots its really great. ATM it is a little bit confusing to navigate around because the portal directions does not correspond with the minimap direction they will teleport you to. They are tossing you around and only clue is the teleport's color.

I am bit worried that this will result in players unable to navigate themselves around in cooperated manner and (due the maps size) in the end the gameplay of map will consist mostly of random skirmishes.

But on other hand, when all the rooms will be finalized, their theme variation will help the players to learn how to navigate around the map by memory not by minimap.
    edited June 2013

I am considerably less concerned with what direction you exit that portal than the actual ability to enter it.

I think it's straight up cruel to have one of the only 2 entrances to the marine base take onos 10 tries to enter.

I'll replace it with your original. I'm worried I'll just avoid the room when I'm on aliens I guess.

I agree exiting doesn't matter. The entrance point really does. The Entrance should be exactly at the center of blue vortex looks like a blue glowing bubble directly under that animated top pylon.
    I'll check the main file when I get home later tonight to make sure it's copied over correctly. things were bounds to change.

As for difficulty, considering it's the last room before entering the marines tech point and aliens have 2 entrances to that room to the marines 1, I think the room favors aliens currently.
    @Evil_bOb1 You're right, the smoothing does look better that way! Sorry I messed up the using the alien portals as rings for the planet, I was confused before. The only thing people are confused by is the 2D non-colliding pipes.

@WorthRival I've put the original portal back in. I (wrongly) figured it was off center so the exit would be centered and adjusted it - my mistake! I have also changed the height of your room to fix that odd occlusion issue. Other rooms are no longer visible through the glass.

@Rudy.cz Any thoughts about how to fix your see through portion? It's not as obvious. Also I just noticed - you removed the cel shading?

Also if anyone has any way of getting in touch with @Braw I can't get a hold of him. And I think his room has been done for over a month :(
  • BrawBraw Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63920Members, Constellation
    Ah yes, my room has been done for quiet a while. Seems I forgot to upload, I'll do it later when I get home :)
  • BrawBraw Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63920Members, Constellation
    Here you go: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_3DrT1_Brj2cEZpTnYyWVZld28/edit (portal entities missing).
    My apologies that I forgot to upload it. Feel free to change anything you'd like.
    Braw wrote: »
    Here you go: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_3DrT1_Brj2cEZpTnYyWVZld28/edit (portal entities missing).
    My apologies that I forgot to upload it. Feel free to change anything you'd like.

Thanks a ton man. Sorry for sending you a couple messages; I forgot I had sent one two days earlier.

I'll add the room tonight and add the portals in. I'll post here if I find any issues or make any changes but I doubt I'll need to change anything - the screenshots looked great!