State of Development: May 2013 - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageState of Development: May 2013 - Natural Selection 2

May development of Natural Selection 2 saw progress on Biodome, exciting developments in balance, OpenGL, D3D11, and more...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    BUMP TO OPEN.. NOOOOO
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
    keep em coming - give them more exposure even!
    btw still reading but, I love the color style of biodome.. gives me that halo kind of feel, idk I like the color style
    and done, yes it's great to have these each month to let us know what is going on, this was great and to the point. Already knew all of it, but still great nontheless for those who don't scourge the forums for every ounce of info. Keep em coming!
  • slimeslime Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72352Members
    edited June 2013
    Max / Dushan: You should check for EXT_packed_depth_stencil OR OpenGL version 3.0 (GLEW_VERSION_3_0), because drivers which have core OpenGL 3.0+ support (which has packed depth stencil feature automatically included) are technically not required to support the extension version of that feature. :)

Also, glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION) may return NULL on pre-2.0 systems. I'm very happy to see you guys supporting OpenGL. :D
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Its a nice summary of the progress in Spark/NS2 that I'd love to see them continue. I always feel that a lot of the work going into NS2 is 'hidden' because its not as flashy as a new map or balance change. However, many of the 'under-the-hood' changes have the potential to be bigger than even the best new feature.
    I'm just praying for performance improvements before this year is over ^:)^
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Unknown Worlds does more for NS2 every month than most multimillion dollar companies do for their already released games in their entire lifetime.
  • ChubsChubs Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 160992Members
    With the amount of updates and work you continue to do on this game, I feel like I should be paying a monthly fee! You guys are doing awesome things and I'm really excited for Biodome, I always thought natural selection needed some plants and more "outdoorsy" environments.
    Unknown Worlds does more for NS2 every month than most multimillion dollar companies do for their already released games in their entire lifetime.

most game developers don't play their own game, it's just a job; not a passion
  • BearborgBearborg Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161022Members
    I truly hope you meant "ctrl-SHIFT-f" for the Decoda find command.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Bearborg wrote: »
    I truly hope you meant "ctrl-SHIFT-f" for the Decoda find command.
    Damn, just ruined a perfectly good pair of pants.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    Bump to open comment thread. Do you guys find these updates valuable? I am trying to make them pretty in-depth, but I know the April one (1,500+ words) was a bit overwhelming. If you find these updates interesting, and want to keep receiving them each month, let me know!
    Yes. Bridging developer and community makes playing this game feel more like a personal experience.

• Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Even tho OpenGL has had a rocky and rough times over the past 10 years(OpenGL 2.0, and 3.0 come to mind) and the microsoft smear campaign with vista didn't help(they stepped back on that thankfully but only 6 months before launch). I was kind worried when longs peak wasn't looking so good. Im am looking forward to both the d3d11 and opengl builds. Btw are you planing on using 4.3 that will allow you to use comptue shaders vs GL interop?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Biodome looks so damn pretty.

Anyone remember the Hanging Gardens custom UT3 map? Biodome reminds me of it:

hanginggardenssmall01.jpg
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can you tell Olmy that I want to have his children, Biodome literally makes me gitty, and squeal like a small girl
  • dushandushan Breaker of Games Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130202Members, NS2 Developer, Squad Five Blue, Pistachionauts
    slime wrote: »
    Max / Dushan: You should check for EXT_packed_depth_stencil OR OpenGL version 3.0 (GLEW_VERSION_3_0), because drivers which have core OpenGL 3.0+ support (which has packed depth stencil feature automatically included) are technically not required to support the extension version of that feature. :)

Also, glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION) may return NULL on pre-2.0 systems. I'm very happy to see you guys supporting OpenGL. :D

Hugh ambushed me and wanted a screenshot of what was on my screen (it was some embarrassingly flakey work in progress). I quickly scrolled up to the safety of the initialization code - should have known you guys will find bugs even there! :)
  • LuaPineappleLuaPineapple Join Date: 2008-10-25 Member: 65296Members, Reinforced - Silver
    "gOpenGLActiveThreadID = Thread::GetCurrentId();"

Bewarned, some Win32 OGL drivers will puke on you if you attempt to use an OGL context on any thread other than the thread who owns the window associated with the context (if any). Wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why my multithreaded hello-world renderer was failing. (I was handling rendering on a seperate thread from my window thread.)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    So much feedback on so little code ;-) thats why open source is so powerful:-)

Great post hugh! Cant wait for all this to go live!
  • ThorondorThorondor Join Date: 2004-07-06 Member: 29745Members
    ezekel wrote: »

most game developers don't play their own game, it's just a job; not a passion
    I think it's more correct to say, that most developers do play their games. Some big publishers on the other hand don't.

It is far more easier for a successful indie developer to support their released game when the don't have a publisher dictating what to do.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @hugh: yes, keep these updates coming and don't worry about the word count :)
  • IAmSecretSpyIAmSecretSpy Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176006Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Keep it up hugh! I for one thoroughly enjoy reading these articles!
    Not only can i connect with the developer but i also understand the strides they are taking to make the game better for the community long after we bought it!
    Thank you again UWE for supporting the game and community, i look forward to the optimizations and future content you bestow upon us :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    Nice outlook!

Anyone found the other weapon yet?
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Keep them coming! I love knowing what is being worked on, it keeps everyone interested and curious to try out any new changes.
  • GobiGobi Join Date: 2013-05-28 Member: 185390Members
    Nice work !
    By the way it would be very usefull to write some docs for modding, or at least explain the core functionnalities (networkvars, client, server, predict VMs, important vars and so on).
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    You rock!

Devs will you at some point please improve animations? Like the Skulk, as it is now when you're looking at a Skulk walking around, turning etc. It looks too much like he spins on a pivot without the proper animation to show movement of a turn.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was very happy to read this
  • AdolfinAdolfin Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183958Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice read =) I always want to know whats in the works about things the community has a fairly overall agreement on!
  • TinterTinter Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185446Members
    I love reading about all the stuff you get done. Will the Linux build be open source though?