CRITICAL BUG Unable to play NS2 as of build 248

RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
Any time I start ns2 since build 248 I get a crash before menu screen, saying a fatal error has occured

THINGS I HAVE TRIED
-Computer restart
-Cache Verify
-Reinstalling NS2+deleting all mods/appdata related
-Reinstalling graphics drivers with a clean install
-Rolling back graphics drivers to a few versions back

Sent logs and minidumps via reporting system, if it means anything my log.txt stops after saying my render device.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Could you upload the logs/minidumps instead of just sending them.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What ghost said. your hidden folder %appdata%\natural selection2\ will contain a log.txt

Or you can run the techsupport.exe in the ns2 install folder so we can get all your info like video card and drivers etc.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I defragmented my computer and NS2 has been working since

The log when it was crashing:

Date: 05/21/13
    Time: 23:26:36
    Build 248
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (9.18.13.2014)

not sure where minidump is
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    hmm.. well.. odd.. but glad that did it.
    Did you use steam's defrag or are you on windows xp?
  • zeqzeq Join Date: 2012-02-14 Member: 145493Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What did you use to defrag, I seem to be having similar problems, and have yet to figure out a solution.
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I have the same problem. I don't know when it started, but it happens for 248 and 249 (beta build). Since I'm using a SSD I don't want to defrag my computer.

I submitted a crash report. Is there anything else I should do/try to help with debugging?

I tried:
    -Computer restart
    -Cache Verify

Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.2GHz
    16.0 GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 7 (SP1)

===========

Date: 06/08/13
    Time: 10:17:50
    Build 249
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX (9.18.13.2018)
    Sound Device: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device) stereo
    Record Device: Microphone (2- High Definition Audio Device)
    Using steam's Defrag option shouldn't hurt your SSD.
    Try at your own risk, of course, but I have an SSD and have used that feature before.
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It will decrease the lifetime of the SSD, because an SSD has a set number of write operations in each sector.
    After those were reached you can only read those sectors, so defragmenting is not good for SSD's.
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I have configured my SSD properly so Steam doesn't even give me the option to defragment the game cache.

ApnUKTk.png
    Just found out that this probably has to do with my graphic card drivers.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130474/crash-on-start-fixed#latest
    Will try to downgrade.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    as a side note.
    There is no good reason to ever ever defrag a ssd. Not ever!

Files are cut into pieces and spread across your hard disk. It cuts them up so it can use any tiny spot left on your disk.
    Defragmenting is putting all pieces of a file as close together as possible, while doing this with as much files as possible. This is so the read/write head of a mechanical disk needs less travel time for each piece, so it speeds up read/write of your files.

SSDs have no moving part and like memory read all files as fast from any location. So there is no reason to defragment, the problem simply doesnt exist on a SSD.
    As SSDs get wear on there cells, moving pieces for 'defrag' when unneeded just adds additional wear and shortens life expectancy, making defrag on SSDs actually a bad idea.
    But doesn't steam handle defragging differently?
    I swear I read that somewhere and that's the only reason I was okay with it..

Sorry if i gave out misinformation
    Downgrading my driver from 320.18 to 314.22 fixed the problem.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    defrag is still defrag.
    At the end of the road it is to prevent the mechanical drives head from moving more then needed.
    SSDs dont have moving parts. :)
    Thanks for posting the fix ;-)
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    trinity.ns wrote: »
    Downgrading my driver from 320.18 to 314.22 fixed the problem.

The latest nVidia drivers have issues all over the place. I was getting driver crashes when the system was doing nothing. I haven't had a video driver crash in a very, very long time.