co_portals - Community Made Fun Map!

Comments

• SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    Actually it makes me think that an 8 bit themed room could have been very cool. Blocky 8 bit looking textures with 8 bit music - would have been awesome.

Check out Guild Wars 2 for inspiration. For April they added a minigame namend "Super Adventure Box", which is basically a chain of retro platformer themes jumping puzzles.

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    This map looks so great i hope i can manage to come and test this map when its finished :)
    i just wrote a news about it...here.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Like Rudy I will make a test version of my hive room once it's more or less done by copying the whole thing and connecting the portals, so you'll be able to test my portion by itself (hopefully) soon. :)
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    CarNagE1 said:
    This map looks so great i hope i can manage to come and test this map when its finished :)
    i just wrote a news about it...here.
    Awesome Carnage! I think everything is still mostly on track, though 246 threw a wrench in the gears a little. I'm still really hoping later this month I can assemble the pieces.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    I just made a chandelier for the hive room. I welcome opinions and suggestions:

• HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Love those chandeliers, very nice blend of classical and sci-fi design. They seem to hang quite low though, I would put them on about the same level than the "windows" or Onos heads, but that's personal taste.
    Hypergrip said:
    Love those chandeliers, very nice blend of classical and sci-fi design. They seem to hang quite low though, I would put them on about the same level than the "windows" or Onos heads, but that's personal taste.

Yeah, I intentionally placed them between the beams at roof level and the floor, as I wanted to give the aliens (specifically skulks) mobility at that height. Something to land on after jumping off the ceiling before hitting the ground.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    lol oh man. i don't know if i should even be part of this, my room is going to look like shit compared to flaterectomy's xD i literally have no idea what i'm doing and my room looks fucking terrible lol. I think i'm just going to have to steal stuff from some of the default maps -_-
    lol oh man. i don't know if i should even be part of this, my room is going to look like shit compared to flaterectomy's xD i literally have no idea what i'm doing and my room looks fucking terrible lol. I think i'm just going to have to steal stuff from some of the default maps -_-
    Haha don't trip chocolate chip! I'm jealous of Flat's skills as well, but let's stick to your original plan: exterior landing pad + lobby. I personally am a little shameless about copying small portions of UWE maps because that's the instance that the tilesets were made for, why not reproduce that look? In your shoes I'd look at landing pad & shuttlebay, and then whatever you want for interior influence. Just make sure you give it a bit of your own personal flair!
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh, I already know what I'm doing xD gonna steal the elevator door from tram, use it as an airlock for the landing pad which will have a glass dome similar to atrium covering it, and will lead into the main lobby portion which will also have a domed glass roof, with a portal where the elevators would have been in the matrix, and maybe one on a catwalk above the middle of the room or something. Going to rely on lots of glass + cool looking skyboxes to make my room look less shitty lmao.
    Oh dear. This is what happens when you're not used to level-over-level. :D

Oh dear. This is what happens when you're not used to level-over-level. :D
    Haha I think this is common as I noticed the same thing in the original co_angst - the creator actually moved the centerpiece of sewer to one side to make room for the area I've dubbed Castle Anthrax (the ladder to sewer). It was so awkward looking! I made a slight change so sewer is at least centered now.

What you can do is shorten the length of that tall end of the stair hall and lengthen your curved entry way to be longer. That's an easy fix, but the entry way won't match others. Or just cut the corner out of the foyer! Maybe create a skulk baptism station? :))
    What I ended up doing was moving the new upstairs area further away from the main church hall, enlarging the little chamber in between the two, and thickening the walls in between as well. It was the simplest fix I could think of without mangling the downstairs area. :)
    We're about 5 days away from our 2 month mark! I'd love to start collecting final versions and putting the map together.

If your room isn't finished yet, GET WORKING! I'll be contacting you individually soon if I don't hear anything.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    I've got my idea and have started putting it together. I should have it done in the upcoming days.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Okay, I have just published new version of my room onto Workshop. I hope we will manage to test it out tonight so if there will be no bugs I think it will be ready for inclusion in the map itself.

You can test the room by yourself by subscribing to this
    edited May 2013
    Here's my little room for now. Could do with more detail and work on blending textures but it works for me :p

portalsshell.jpg

Ok entitied and sent to Seraph :D Can't wait for the full playtest :p
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Darkseraph PM me when you want mine. I've still some more work to do on it. But it's close to done.
    I think I'll ask everyone done to send their portion to me this weekend and then I'll start PMing people next week that haven't turned it in yet.
    edited May 2013
    Ok, here download my room. Its nearly finished, I will just attempt to add the cel-shaded outlines to some objects as static models. But that will be just easy copy/paste for you once it will be ready.

PM if there will be any problem with my files, but I hope I have included all files and done everything in-editor properly.

Cheers :)
    Got similar issue. They removed biodome_floor_1 from the 247. Lame :(
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2013
    I believe the textures should still be on my tablet. Would it be out of order if i collected them and gave them a new material file?
    If that's too naughty I could also just remake them for you from the originals. Give me the material names and I'll have a look
    Okay, I think I have 2 rooms ready to go so far. Please start turning in the file version of your room and I will put it together; I'll keep republishing every time I add a room after the first 3.

@Howser I'm not sure, I don't really like the thought of using stuff that UWE doesn't have available yet, but I really don't see any harm if its a texture that will come out in a few months anyways.
    edited May 2013
    I have tweaked my room a bit: Smoothed things out and added a little spice.

portalsshell2.jpg

download

Just copy/paste. Comes with a box that can be added to your occlusion group :p
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The only thing missing from mine is the Occlusion geometry. Do you need that in ? Or will you add that once all the map has been put together ?
    The only thing missing from mine is the Occlusion geometry. Do you need that in ? Or will you add that once all the map has been put together ?

I'll do the occlusion geometry - it will be fairly easy since all I have to do is separate things that are already separated.

In addition I know some of you have lost your teleport entities during mapping. If you can just replace them I can rename them - it's no problem.

@Evil_bOb1 looking good, please post the file when it's fixed!
    If you lost your entities. (greeds was good enough to write a quick fix for me.) I've a quick editor.file fix I'll upload it later today ( At work atm). Just swap the editor.file in your ns2 folder.

I then opened and old version of my map, selected all the EEM entities - Copy - Open latest version of map - Paste.
    edited May 2013
    If you cant see the extra entities in the editor, just copy "editor_setup.xml" and "models/system/editor" from Extra entities mod to your output folder.
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    Okay, I think I have 2 rooms ready to go so far. Please start turning in the file version of your room and I will put it together; I'll keep republishing every time I add a room after the first 3.

Woot, looking forward for release! :) Just note one thing, I have some collision geometry in my room, I hope you have noticed that (it has checkerboards texture).
    Howser wrote: »
    I believe the textures should still be on my tablet. Would it be out of order if i collected them and gave them a new material file?
    If that's too naughty I could also just remake them for you from the originals. Give me the material names and I'll have a look

Thank, but is is OK. I have replaced it with almost identical material from Descent.