Xbox One (1)

XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
So I guess social integration stuff noone will use?
A shoot-mans with time altering?
To top it off, another call-of-duty game. This one is different though, you see, there's a dog. A dog that will inevitably be killed in the single player campaign (bonus points if they make you pull the trigger). Infinity ward finally brings emotions into my video games. Edit: also leaning
This is the future, welcome to the social, click in.

Another choice tidbit for you folks:
Sony stock rising after the xbox announcement

So what do you think, will leaning save the COD franchise?
Will I be able to have the dog ride in my FORZA car?
Will I be able to have the dog on my EA Sports game:basketball game team a la Air Bud?

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Okay maybe the Air-bud joke was lame but that .gif is the perfect encapsulation of the entire unveiling.

Ill go on the record and say I actually like the design of the console. It's like how people in the 80s envisioned the future was going to look. The minimalist appearance of the kinect (which apparently is going to be mandatory) pleases me as well.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013
    You know, I'm still wondering when many of the console lovers will realize that the new consoles are immediately going to kill off anyone's chance of taking those shiny new games they bought back to Gamestop, or EB Games, etc. The way that Microsoft and Sony are now controlling their profits in order to assist themselves with gaining more profit and game developers as well seems like it's a great idea at first, until you get underneath the carpet of the marketing departments of these consoles. To game developers it's really enticing to know that (especially indie game devs) they'll actually see a paycheck from selling games, so the idea is to build for consoles, because not only is it easier to develop for, but it's making sure they get paid.

For gamers, they will no longer be able to buy one game a year and continuously beat it and trade it in for a new one from the local game shop. That money doesn't go to the developers, but instead, goes into the pockets of the game-shop companies. I've heard from at least one friend that their experience with consoles are that you "buy a game, beat it, and trade it in for a new one". I asked them what if that was no longer possible and was quickly told that "If it's no longer an option, I'm no longer interested in consoles." Oddly enough, I had this conversation months ago. In fact, it was the day the new Steam Box was announced. I was viciously trying to defend my love for the PC over any console. Apparently, I had already predicted the future of gaming without knowing.

Really though, who is to blame here? The gamers? Microsoft? Sony? I'd say it's quite a bit of all three combined, of course. Without the gamers, the shops wouldn't be around. Without the shops around, perhaps we wouldn't be having this discussion right now (or maybe we would). One thing I know for sure is that without consoles, this definitely wouldn't be a problem, so I've always opted to stick with my PC and have hopes that one day the majority of gamers out there would realize they, and Microsoft/Sony are both working together to destroy the console market, which I won't lie -- I'm absolutely cool with.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited May 2013
    I watched the conference hoping they would not go all "entertainment system" on us with netflix, kinect, sports stuff and that is exactly what they did. Consoles feel like they are past the hardcore gaming era and more towards making gimmicky games or the same thing rehashed for the same audience. This thing is a gaming system and we barely got a peek at gameplay from exclusive games. Not that I am getting a console but it was not very exciting to watch. To be honest I was mainly watching to get a peek at what these new consoles can do hardware wise since consoles often hold back PC gaming. Lets see if they can step it up at E3.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Don't care about kinect. Don't care about TV integration. "Here's gestures, so you can search Bing™ while you watch live TV!" said nobody ever. For the crap that people gave Sony about all the social stuff in PS4 at least for them it's all about the fucking games. Was pretty unimpressed all round.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i don't get what the hate is about with it. judging by what friends have already told me, they've seemed to hit their target audience pretty well. shit, if the hardware components are anything to judge performance off (512mb ram to 8gb), i'd say it's safe to say the performance will be just fine.
    The increase in graphical complexity is nowhere near as impressive as is was in the shift from the PS2 to PS3 era (or PS1 to PS2 for that matter).
    Nothing really ground-breaking in the slightest(that was shown).

As soon as you begin to think critically about any of the new 'features' you can't help but come to the realization that their foremost purpose is to enable Microsoft to make more money (indirectly through datamining or directly through sales), enhancing the user experience is secondary. A side effect, if you will, that will be lanced and excised as soon as it gets in the way of the prime directive.

Think harder and you realize, perhaps against your own will, that everything in your day-to-day life is built upon this same model. Perhaps built is the wrong word, how does a taxidermist describe the process of stretching the remnants of an animal over a plastic supporting frame?

Accept that a weak and indirect coupling, like a blood vessel, between profits and consumer experience is all we have to 'thank' for what appears to be a steady march towards increased usability and consumer appreciation(but do we really 'thank' the net that catches us when we jump from atop a foxconn warehouse?). Behind this facade of consumerism you can be sure there are uncountable think tanks poking and prodding at this linkage. They are carefully stretching and straining this abstraction of human desires, grinding numbers and metrics to find the limits and weaknesses of it. Subtle at first, but with increasing eagerness that begins to flirt with a true voracity to tear the linkage apart. Only then, with the tendon lying in shreds, can the feast of materialism truly begin.
    Now, burn the cities and salt the countryside.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Kinda funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

First up, I have never bought a console so take my opinion lightly. I also do now own a cable TV package of any sort. So, for me today, the stuff they mostly showed is 100% pointless. Anything else I want (Netflix or music playing) on my TV I can already do just fine with much cheaper hardware. We shall wait and see what E3 brings, but I am actually thinking about nabbing a PS4 this year and finally joining the console crowd.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I probably laughed more than was warranted.
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    edited May 2013
    Xyth wrote: »
    The increase in graphical complexity is nowhere near as impressive as is was in the shift from the PS2 to PS3 era (or PS1 to PS2 for that matter).
    Nothing really ground-breaking in the slightest(that was shown).

It didn't help that all the games shown came from annual franchises. You're not going to see the big graphical shifts coming from series that have to recycle everything to cut down on development time, and that intend to launch on every console possible.

The exclusives shown at the PS4 unveiling were probably still not as big of a shift as between previous eras, but they was still more impressive than what MS had to show.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Don't know how anyone tolerated the stupid empty marketing speak bullshit that the presentation consisted of. Exactly like that of the ps4.

Fuck consoles, fuck casual gamers and fuck the 21st century.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nothing says "revolutionary and groundbreaking" like fish that swim away from you when you get close
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Yep, I've been growing more and more displeased with my X360 since the move away from the old (original?) blade interface, and jamming Bing in to make it seem like less of a colossal, time-wasting, money-pit failure. Add in the always-online requirement (not as much of a logistics factor in my case, but still annoying to have it ENFORCED by some corporate suit) and my money isn't going toward the new XBox, aside maybe from buying a new (wired?) controller (as Sony are still dicks about just plugging theirs into a regular PC for use as a gamepad, and MotionJoy has severe annoyances inherent).

The gist of the 'reveal' brought it across as a game console trying to be a DVR. Pushing gaming more into the mainstream (SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS) at the cost of actual gamers (not just the COD kiddies) just cements my intention to ignore it, and add it to the boycott stinkpile along with Origin. Not sure about Sony, but with their continued draconian lockdown, it looks like I probably won't be throwing any money at consoles for the foreseeable future.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    leaning is in black ops 2, and it didn't save shit

The thing is, they are making the games shit on purpose. You don't go backwards in time if you've made a successful pc title (rarely)

They saw cod4 built a community, which still lives on today, had competitions, was modded etc. So they ditched the game, this is not maximizing profits for them

So they make a new title each year specifically for the casual community and handicap competitive players in every way possible, so that the game will die after their specific predicted life cycle and they can release a new game. Notice how black ops 2 main menu advertises ghost even though it's two different developers? Yeah because it's under one mastermind controlled publisher

The idea is to not build a dedicated community per game, but a community for the franchise *hence the casual gaming community*
    imo, the whole COD franchise peaked somewhere between 'No Russian' and fighting a war in the streets of Washington DC. In short, everything after MW2 has been devoid of any creative merit.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    So much originality in that name, what was it again? Something like PSOne, oh wait...

Just watched the intro video, man those people have absolutely no charisma whatsoever. They sound like they are just reading of some kind of teleprompter. Quite hard to sit through it because of these speech bots... I mean "Xbox, go home!" Did they even proofread this stuff!!!

Also why the hell does it look like an 80ies VCR or 90ies CDi :D
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited May 2013
    acid_rain wrote: »
    For gamers, they will no longer be able to buy one game a year and continuously beat it and trade it in for a new one from the local game shop. That money doesn't go to the developers, but instead, goes into the pockets of the game-shop companies.

Does money from the current second-hand market go to developers? Is it a loss to those of us who use Steam and don't have this feature?

Wasn't interested at all about the new consoles but pretty excited about The XBox 1. Although it's made it a target of abuse from the hardcore "I only want you to impress me" gamers, I really like that they're focusing on media as well as games. I know my current console gets used for TV/movies more than it does for games.

Consoles are entertainment systems now- not just gaming devices.

I'm still raising my eyebrows at the CoD-level hate the XBox 1 is generating. When I read why they hate Xbox, they say it's because of the name (irrelevant! We accepted "Wii" as a name), its looks (for me, irrelevant. It'll get placed on a shelf under the TV) and that the reveal didn't show much gameplay (a fair comment if there still isn't much gameplay shown at E3, but harsh criticism for a 60 minute reveal).

Only disappointment is that some of these features are only for the 'muricans at launch.

[Edit]

Does anyone know if the current 360 Kinect can still function if, say, you're sitting on a couch and there's a table between you and the TV? Obviously, I don't expect it to be able to map your whole body but can you still use voice + hand/arm gestures if Kinect can't see all of you?

[Edit 2]

Does the Xbox 1 support a 5.1 sound system? I assumed it was a given, but I'm no good with connections. Here's the back:

Is it there?
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    The S/PDIF output is an optical audio connection capable of 5.1. Also, the HDMI connection will send a digital 5.1 signal along with the digital video.

I'll be paying attention to this and the PS4. I've got an old PS2 getting dusty on a shelf and the Wii is only good for keeping the kids distracted.
    Been trying to entice the wife with the built in BlueRay but the navigation system and the possibility of not needing 5 remotes for all the devices might be convincing enough.

I haven't spent any time playing FPS on consoles and just assume it's easier on a PC. Anybody know of some decent side scrollers or adventure/strategy type games for newer consoles?
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    Comprox wrote: »
    Kinda funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

First up, I have never bought a console so take my opinion lightly. I also do now own a cable TV package of any sort. So, for me today, the stuff they mostly showed is 100% pointless. Anything else I want (Netflix or music playing) on my TV I can already do just fine with much cheaper hardware. We shall wait and see what E3 brings, but I am actually thinking about nabbing a PS4 this year and finally joining the console crowd.

Welp, you're in the minority and coincidentally not their target audience.
    edited May 2013
    Spooge wrote: »
    Anybody know of some decent side scrollers or adventure/strategy type games for newer consoles?
    Play Dark Souls
    Make your kids play Dark Souls
    Make your wife play Dark Souls

• baconbitsbaconbits Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180124Members
    If I were going to lower myself to a console I think i'd look at the valve box first.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    I think the event was "okay", their focus on games wasn't the greatest(i assume they will correct that with e3?), and the CoD presentation was a joke. (fucking hell - those fishes are amazing!)

But,

It will still play games like any other console.
    It will still have all the crossplatform titles, some exclusives and indy games like any other console.
    Hardware specs are basically identical to the ps4. (rumors about ddr3 instead of gddr5 ram)

I don't think a console just suddenly get worse because they did work/present a lot of stuff not related to gaming - the xbox gaming capability i imagine will be en par with any other console. (why wouldnt they?)

> The used game/trade stuff was not a proper official statement, so nobody can actually say what is going on there until they make one.

PS: not that i would get one... my last console was the gameboy advanced - while interesting whats going on, consoles are nothing for me...

They call it the one because it took 359 steps backwards
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    CoD started with leaning, I'm still not sure why they took it out other than it being too complicated control-wise to fit on a controller.
    Chris0132 wrote: »
    CoD started with leaning, I'm still not sure why they took it out other than it being too complicated control-wise to fit on a controller.

cod lean was on pc, and it's still there in the latest version; however the only versions worth playing at the moment are call of duty UO/call of duty 2/call of duty 4

The other ones don't even touch them if they're free
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited May 2013
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    ezekel wrote: »

My theory is they called it Xbox One because the target audience is too young to remember there ever being a Xbox 1.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Svenpa wrote: »
    ezekel wrote: »

My theory is they called it Xbox One because the target audience is too young to remember there ever being a Xbox 1.

Perhaps, but isn't a successor supposed to be called something that implies... Successor... Also my point about PSOne still stands. But then again that was from another era, a much more awesome era :P