ns2_co_angst

DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
edited May 2013 in Mapping
So I've remade co_angst. I'm not sure who the original author was or if I should ask permission, but this was my favorite ns1 combat map and I'm very excited about remaking it. The rest of my post has been eaten by the constantly changing code for posts on these forums... http://i.imgur.com/016uHIh.jpg Special thanks goes to the UWE team, whose work I am blatantly copy & pasting! (I don't care that it still says descent station)

Comments

• woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    Author : ChromeAngel  http://www.chromeangel.co.uk/UsernameChromeAngel Last Active Posts 2,677          

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    looking good!
    I look forward to playing it this sunday!
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    woody said:
    Author : ChromeAngel  http://www.chromeangel.co.uk/UsernameChromeAngel Last Active Posts 2,677

No email on how to contact him. Any idea? There are a lot of people with his real name.

Woody deserve huge thanks, as he's been letting me use his server as my map testing playground! Please let me send you money!

• eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Played this map today.  Looks solid and plays great so far, Seraph!  Keep up the good work.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just played this on Woody's server. At first I didn't even recognize the map, but then slowly all these previously hidden memories were unlocked. I may have nostalgia'd and even experienced some feels then. I think some corridors and rooms could benefit from some higher ceilings, perhaps widen some where possible. Keep at it! :D
    edited May 2013
    Just played this on Woody's server. At first I didn't even recognize the map, but then slowly all these previously hidden memories were unlocked. I may have nostalgia'd and even experienced some feels then. I think some corridors and rooms could benefit from some higher ceilings, perhaps widen some where possible. Keep at it! :D
    Most original corridors were a small 128x128! I lifted this in most places to 160x160, but not all. Due to some rooms there are smaller choke points too, e.g. processing is only 134 (diagonal). Feel free to mention any specific spots that you think are a problem.

I also think I might give it some basic textures so it is playable on servers and then detail later. I have too many projects right now, which is why if someone wants to help detail the map will be complete faster.
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    Got to play it with you the other night, was a fun map. I went early fade and could not for the life of me find a way from pipeline to bridge without backtracking all the way through hive. I know that's only a problem for blinkless fades, and maybe gorges, but there you go.

Someday I hope to get a sunday off work and join you guys for more map testing.

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited May 2013
    I think, whatever change do you find beneficial for new Combat gameplay, just go for it!
    There are several outside windows on the ship - how should I detail the outsides and give people something to look at?
    Definitively, detail the shit out of them, because everybody loves eycandies :) Thats is one of the huge benefits of the new engine, finally we does not have to constrain ourselves like in the times of Goldsrc.
    Sewer - I want something better to put in the center. I was hoping for a model that would fit (the drill is temporary), but I haven't found much. Should I just recreate the old geometry and attempt to texture?
    Hmm depends, for start you can just work with the old geometry and maybe it will kickstart you some ideas. I understand that current NS2 asset library its not that variable like in NS1. So I shouldn't be too worried about re-imagining the purpose of some of the rooms. For example, the Sewers can be changed to Cooling Systems, they should be also wet and foggy :)
    Elevators - there used to be one near Marine Start, which I thought was an bad idea so I used ramps, but I kept the one in the center (it kills you if you are under it when it goes down though). Keep ramps outside MS or try an elevator like the ns1 version? Or maybe somehow get rid of elevators all together if you hate it?
    Depends, the fact is that, until the elevators won't be coded in the NS2 officially, they will always work a bit sloppy, even that JimWest made really astounding work on them. So from this point I would suggest to avoid them. On the other hand, I always loved elevators in NS1 and I would like to see them in NS2. Maybe the best solution will be to have them in the map, but test them thoroughly and decide if they should stay.
    The hive used to be off to the far side of the alien hive room, but I can't find any way to do that smoothly, any thoughts? Is centered OK?
    No problem with location until it works game-balance wise. Just check if the Hive cannot be shoot by marines from some unintended place. Then you will need to add some kind of cever. (for example, that was the reason why I hid the Hive in Core in the Ventilation shaft)
    I made up some room names, if you actually remember them let me know.
    I just went trough the original and I encountered: Freezers (MS), Coolant pumps, Landing Gear, Store Room, Engine (Hive), Suit store, Core lift, Bridge and Observation Deck
    Lighting - is intended be very close to original - I'm more than willing to change it, point out where! Too much of the original lighting is white/yellow in my opinion, but how should I change it?
    This hugely depends how it will work with new engine and NS2 assets you will use. So staying to the original would be good start but I wont be afraid to alter it.
    Do you think a certain room would fit a UWE tileset well? Point out the angst room and room(s) on the UWE map for me!

Well, this one you will have to figure out for yourself :-) Frankly, there are no NS2 assets that could translate NS1 visual directly. I think you will come to the point when you realize, that you have to invent all the rooms almost from the scratch. What definitively will stay usable from the original will be general layout of the map and the shapes of the rooms.

Talking about my own experience, I had the same problem. When I was trying to remake the rooms 1:1, I felt constrained and I was not able to come up with satisfactory results. It really started to get some shape only after I have get rid of the old geometry and kept it only for a general reference.

But on the other hand, the Ready Room of Core was made by Remedy and he remade it almost 1:1, maybe he has better imagination than me :)

So do whatever suits YOU, and don't be worried about doing any changes. The general feeling of the original map will be your best guide :)

edited May 2013
    I'll post a quick update tonight, where I reflected original hanging geometry in sewer and removed the elevator in suit hall in favor of a ramp. Visibility in that side of suit hall is now a bit long for my taste, but there aren't a lot of options as there isn't much space in there.

I think I'll keep a lot of the names, but I like the thought of sewer being coolant pumps and all wet n misty. I'll remove castle anthrax name. I'm not sure if I should keep MS/Hive or rename Freezers/Engine. Should I rename processing to store room? Or alien junction to something?

Next step will be giving it a quick texture coat so that it can be played as a re-make while I work on re-imagining.
    Posted an update - the map is currently a full port right now. I've textured and added some props. I'm fairly pleased with how it's turned out and I'm actually debating on whether to spend the time re-imagining or just leave it as a port. Feel free to add to server rotations - any future major updates, if any, will be slow in coming.
    It has come to my attention that due to the limited amount of flat area next to the hive the map ends up with spawn issues - it will tell you 'next wave' continuously. While I think this is partly due to clogs or hydras blocking spawn area I have expanded this area significantly which should allow for more room for spawning.

At this point I have no intentions of re-imagining the map and will leave it as a port. Please continue to let me know if there are issues or if you have the desire to re-imagine it.