Why isn't NS2 more popular?

12345679»

Comments

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    kalakuja said:
    ahahaha click to move, 4 skills and mana.dat forest hide and seek game is not complex. pls try blc and come talk about mobas :D
    BLC? Seriously? Well, if you say so, I guess.

Scatter said:
    Fuck I hate this new forum crap I can't remove quote boxes. 
    I hate it too, but I figured it out: use the "Outdent" button.

edited May 2013
    |strofix| said:
    In my opinion, DotA 2 is a complete lie.

[disagree][disagree][disagree][disagree][disagree][disagree][spam][disagree][disagree][disagree][spam]

Haters gonna hate.

• TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    edited May 2013

I'd say it's because it runs horrendously. Performance keeps getting worse and worse. Now the game runs at a sluggish 10fps. I really need to get a new pc due to the CPU being a bottleneck, but I'm waiting for the next gen components. If they had more options, such as customising ticks for certain things to be processed, it would be much nicer. And of course turn off unnecessary mechanics. The options are quite lacking, with everything more or less performance wise revolving around video settings.

I was one of those original players when NS1 came out and pre-ordered NS2 when that was available many years ago. It's too bad it runs so poorely.

Specs are 2008 but even so..

Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.40

AMD 6670  (using AMD 5870 currently but CPU is bottlenecking)

4gb ram

128gb SSD OCZ Agility 4

• RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This game is too archaic in design to be popular with modern gamers. Most people who play NS2 generally have some experience with an arena shooter like Quake, NS1, UnrealT or similar. A mainstream FPS player isn't going to be bother trying NS2 because it doesn't appeal to them due to the following:
    - No simple, official game mode
    - No ranking system or progression system
    - No custom skins, models, etc via DLC or unlocks
    - No ADS
    - No singleplayer even if it's just bots
    - No large map pool
    - Assymetrical gameplay
    - Way too complex for new players
    - Too much investment to be skilled
    - Poor performance relatively speaking
    - Requires heavy teamwork
    - Not free to play
    - No huge amount of guns with attachments, etc
    - No matchmaking for groups of players

I'm glad it doesn't have most of these but there are some I would like to see:
    - A ranking system like the Gears of War system, unlock skins and armor mods but not power or weapons
    - Better performance
    - Customisable weapons and armor ingame with a currency system, I wouldn't be afraid of using a real life money system as well if it's cosmetic only as long as there's an in game currency system, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that even in a game that's worth $25, you would make a bit of extra money on the side but depends on the dev time of course
    - 1-2 more dev made maps
    - Singleplayer with bots would help introduce players to the game, LoL has this and it does help immensely
    - Combat made an official game mode, provides casual players a more friendly approach. Maybe even marine vs marine as a mode. More options for gameplay but shouldn't be the primary focus

I know mod support is a big thing but most people can't mod very well so having some sort of in game system to purchase weapon skins, cosmetic mods, female marine, new armors. Man if I could look like a WH40k space marine :)

Just my two cents although I don't think most people would like it. This game, amazing as it is, is a game stuck in the past. There's a reason Call of Duty 4 is the most influential game this generation and there's a reason why most games these days, even LoL and SC2 have taken from CoD4.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited May 2013
    1.performance, 20-30fps and in combat it still spikes. no issue playing other games so its not my system..
    2. gameplay elements (like most if not all) were water-downed...removing much of the skill curve
    3.movement is completely terrible in every way. replacing bhop with wall-jumping which never worked no matter how you tweak it
    4.refusing to add ideas that worked for years no matter what and refusing to remove ideas that simply do not work no matter how much you tweak them
    5. ignoring NS1 ground work that took years to master but slowly adopt ns1 ideas but ruining them with amazing creative bad ideas

So many things to add to the list, and i'm not even kidding. The development of this game/engine was rushed so much, many broken promises and much of the game itself fell apart the moment it went post 1.0. While it was in beta, everyone was holding onto the hope, "hey its beta" excuse. If you don't know who to blame, well blame the developers (and those they listened to) who to this day refuse to even admit some shit just doesn't work in the game or doesn't belong or doesn't even make sense. But they will keep tweaking things, force things to work no matter what.

the game had so much hope, so much potential. Things might still change who knows. Many old vets simply left because they realized not only their opinion was ignored but rather the whole ns1 scene.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    luns said:
    1.performance, 20-30fps and in combat it still spikes. no issue playing other games so its not my system..
    2. gameplay elements (like most if not all) were water-downed...removing much of the skill curve
    3.movement is completely terrible in every way. replacing bhop with wall-jumping which never worked no matter how you tweak it
    4.refusing to add ideas that worked for years no matter what and refusing to remove ideas that simply do not work no matter how much you tweak them
    5. ignoring NS1 ground work that took years to master but slowly adopt ns1 ideas but ruining them with amazing creative bad ideas

So many things to add to the list, and i'm not even kidding. The development of this game/engine was rushed so much, many broken promises and much of the game itself fell apart the moment it went post 1.0. While it was in beta, everyone was holding onto the hope, "hey its beta" excuse. If you don't know who to blame, well blame the developers (and those they listened to) who to this day refuse to even admit some shit just doesn't work in the game or doesn't belong or doesn't even make sense. But they will keep tweaking things, force things to work no matter what.

the game had so much hope, so much potential. Things might still change who knows. Many old vets simply left because they realized not only their opinion was ignored but rather the whole ns1 scene.

I'm not going to say that your personal opinion wasn't ignored, because I simply don't know. But you cannot speak of the whole NS1 scene in those terms. I ran an NS1 server for quite a while, and I for one love NS2. If that makes me the exception that proves the rule, fine, but I honestly don't think it's fair to say that UWE ignored the whole NS1 scene.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    RaZDaZ said:
    This game is too archaic in design to be popular with modern gamers. Most people who play NS2 generally have some experience with an arena shooter like Quake, NS1, UnrealT or similar. A mainstream FPS player isn't going to be bother trying NS2 because it doesn't appeal to them due to the following:
    - No simple, official game mode
    - No ranking system or progression system
    - No custom skins, models, etc via DLC or unlocks
    - No ADS
    - No singleplayer even if it's just bots
    - No large map pool
    - Assymetrical gameplay
    - Way too complex for new players
    - Too much investment to be skilled
    - Poor performance relatively speaking
    - Requires heavy teamwork
    - Not free to play
    - No huge amount of guns with attachments, etc
    - No matchmaking for groups of players

Just my two cents although I don't think most people would like it. This game, amazing as it is, is a game stuck in the past. There's a reason Call of Duty 4 is the most influential game this generation and there's a reason why most games these days, even LoL and SC2 have taken from CoD4.

So true, it's what the new generation of gamers look for these days, otherwise they have no "goal" to chase... even if that "goal" is an artificially created one by the devs.

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    If you've got nothing nice to say, say Comprox will come lock the thread.
This discussion has been closed.