comp scene

DrFlammableDrFlammable Join Date: 2012-04-18 Member: 150705Members
edited May 2013 in Competitive Play
hey hi friends hello
what's the state of the NA comp scene? still pretty tough for teams to get some regular scrims going? just wondering. 'bout 3-4 NA teams that regularly scrim i'm guessing? maybe less? wassup.

Comments

• DrFlammableDrFlammable Join Date: 2012-04-18 Member: 150705Members
    also looking for some info for State Of The Garfu during the nex vs arc tournament anybody got some sick pix????
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yep, it's still pretty much dead.

Nexzil, bklub, Damage Networks, All-in, KKG, manup, nureign (not NA, but play in NA div), dysgorge, and vexx are the only teams I see scrimming NA side.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't forget CiB... not NA but plays in the NA division too. We're up for scrims with anyone!
  • CCCorpCCCorp Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14503Members, Constellation
    even though it's only a few high level NA teams theres always a scrim going on in some form or another.
  • tdunc-tdunc- Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179214Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Syknik wrote: »

Nexzil, bklub, Damage Networks, All-in, KKG, manup, nureign (not NA, but play in NA div), dysgorge, and vexx are the only teams I see scrimming NA side.

Missed a few,

CiB, DTPN, Next Level G, Waka Waka (new... but starting to scrim now), Helix

And SM is also starting to scrim more.

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Its going quite well. Add in 156 there too :)
  • GarfuGarfu Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145170Members
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There aren't very many teams, but there are enough that if you ask around you should pretty much always be able to find a scrim. Nxzl, all in, dn, bklub, k2g, atrox, cib 1, cib 2, dtpn, 156, vexx, OnsL, dys, m^, nL.. that's just what i can think of off the top of my head but there are probably 5 or 6 more that I didn't list.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

In terms of NS2, this is actually a ton.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Then I think these teams should start getting a hold of each other a lot more, because bklub rarely gets asked to scrim by a lot of those teams. :o
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Worst case and you want to scrim and can't find a team. Talk to someone on one of those teams about getting a mix together and going up against that. Should still be good practice. A lot of people on those teams know each other.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    From my perspective the NA community is quite active compared to the past.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    Try scrimming in AUS......
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    nezz wrote: »
    Try scrimming in AUS......
    There's... 6-7 active/active-ish clans left. Only 3-4 of which scrim most nights.

• WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    I think NA has been doing well lately. In the div2-ish realm we have it great. Lots of new teams, next season should be fantastic if we can get the seeding/divisions sorted out properly this time around.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Then I think these teams should start getting a hold of each other a lot more, because bklub rarely gets asked to scrim by a lot of those teams. :o
    Not everyone is ready to take on the top NA teams...
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    For those who think the competitive scene is dead, why do you feel this is the case and what should be changed to help out? I mean this as a serious question. I know there are plenty who feel the competitive scene is a bit dry.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    New talent isn't being brought into the game at a quick rate. Given there is many more teams now than ever, but still only the same top tier teams.

To increase the rate at which people want to play competitive, game play changes are needed to be made and until then, I wouldn't expect to see much growth.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    There are slowly more NA teams popping up every one in a while. NAKickStart's Helix, Waka waka. etc... So it's growing slowly. I can only hope in time we can catch up to the EU scene in terms of size.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Its hard to call it a scene when other games with a "comp scene" have multiple leagues, hundreds of teams if not thousands ranging from pro to newb, and the potential to make a living from the game.
    Flipper said:
    Its hard to call it a scene when other games with a "comp scene" have multiple leagues, hundreds of teams if not thousands ranging from pro to newb, and the potential to make a living from the game.
    That's like saying NS2 isn't a game because it doesn't have the tens of thousands of players that CS or TF2 do.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2013
    how does having a professional scene validate a competitive scene?  why can't it just be about... competition?  in a... competitive scene?  hello is this thing on ????
    Its about the word, play would be more correct
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    I don't see what the post brought to the conversation other than your own personal opinion of the definition of the word "scene". A "competitive scene" is not subject to comparison to other games, sports, or activities that are competitive. It also does not imply monetary gain. 
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    It's active enough to be enjoyable. The only downside I can see from having a relatively small competitive community is that team strategies are pretty homogeneous for the most part.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    In the end I think it all stems from fun (in regards to healthy competition). NS2 is hard on fun when I feel like it's working against me with blinding effects, frame rate drops and some abilities that aren't exactly skill based.

The most fun part of the game is probably the first 10 minutes before it all turns into who can bone wall/cyst rupture combo who, and who can nano medspam a fade into death etc.

Player counts are diving as well - the game is not retaining players.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013
    edit..nvm can't read. yay
    Locklear said:
    In the end I think it all stems from fun (in regards to healthy competition). NS2 is hard on fun when I feel like it's working against me with blinding effects, frame rate drops and some abilities that aren't exactly skill based.

The most fun part of the game is probably the first 10 minutes before it all turns into who can bone wall/cyst rupture combo who, and who can nano medspam a fade into death etc.

But I like my shiny blue medshower.
    Locklear wrote: »
    In the end I think it all stems from fun (in regards to healthy competition). NS2 is hard on fun when I feel like it's working against me with blinding effects, frame rate drops and some abilities that aren't exactly skill based.<br />
    The most fun part of the game is probably the first 10 minutes before it all turns into who can bone wall/cyst rupture combo who, and who can nano medspam a fade into death etc.<br />

Don't forget the basically flavour of the month balancing which leads to one maybe two strategies being viable and used, allowing one to accurately predict what a team will do 99 percent of the time in a serious game.