[wip] ns2_co_battlechamber

eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited May 2013 in Mapping

Hello world.

Just published the first functional version of my new map ns2_co_battlechamber.

Here is the link to the map on steam workshop:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143703374

Please subscribe, put on your grayboxing gloves, and test it out.

Big thanks to DarkSeraph who raised me from a newborn baby mapper to a toddler mapper.

Screenshots to come soon.

Map Description:

A fast-paced map designed for the combat mod of Natural Selection 2. 

It was the week before graduation for the military cadets on the human colony Spark30.

The cadets were conducting combat exercises in the new training chamber, a chamber with walls that could move to simulate various hostile environments. Mobile Action Cameras (MACs) tracked the action. Drill instructors could watch the action unfold on their holoscreens.

The drill instructors watched proudly as their cadets completed objective after objective - just as the instructors had taught them. The last objective involved building two command stations in a facility overtaken by hostile forces.

The cadets cleared the first main room and successfully installed the first of the two command stations.

After clearing their way to the second main room at the opposite end of the chamber, they noticed a green ooze pouring in from the vents along the floor. The ooze appeared to be pulsating and alive.

Then they heard a monstrous chuckle.

"Run," said the squad leader! The squad of cadets bolted for the chamber exit.

The drill instructors watched in horror as a pack of what looked like miniature hippos began vomiting rapidly on the cameras. Their holoscreens went dark.

It was time to send in the Marines.

Comments

• eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Screenshots:

New Overview:

Old Overview:

Readyroom

• draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    i wanna play itttttt
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    What're them blue waveys?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Miniature Hippos?
    Whuuut!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    spectate or random....I think I'll take the death by spikes!
    Looks cool but won't jetpacks make it too easy for a hive rush. And hordes of lerks in open spaces are a pain to fight. you need a ceiling man!
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Howser said:
    spectate or random....I think I'll take the death by spikes!
    Looks cool but won't jetpacks make it too easy for a hive rush. And hordes of lerks in open spaces are a pain to fight. you need a ceiling man!
    Thanks for the feedback.

I could definitely see a lot of players going lerk.  There's a lot of corners, so both aliens and marines can get out of the line of fire quickly.

If you're within the map, there is a ceiling.  If you're outside the map there isn't.  hehe.  Hopefully nobody gets outside the map.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited May 2013
    I do love the backstory on this map - vomiting mini hippos haha

In terms of gameplay I'm very worried about the marines spawn camping, especially early game (I experienced this on my recent graybox of co_braid). You might be able to fix this by lifting the hive room up and making marines go UP a ramp instead of down one. You can wait to change that until we playtest if you want, but I'm pretty sure that's how it'll go. Hallways should be good for marines as there isn't a lot of blocked vis (vis seems to be usually 1k+), but as usual once fades are out aliens will be able to hold (fade OP in combat!).

edit: i just realized raising the hive area in co_braid would fix it. Too bad I've somewhat abandoned that project, unless someone else wants to take over...
    edited May 2013
    I think you're right about marines spawn camping, Seraph.

Here's a new floorplan that should increase travel time and break up los on two of the super long hallways.  Block (read: room) size has been increased from 244 x 244 to 256 x 256.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just played on this today. Was really hard for the basically anything but fades and lerks. We won with fade spam but it was a hard fight. Was fun though with how difficult it was though.
    james888 said:
    Just played on this today. Was really hard for the basically anything but fades and lerks. We won with fade spam but it was a hard fight. Was fun though with how difficult it was though.
    Thanks for playing.  Yes, I still need to drop in props and other things that will give gorges and skulks places to duck.

edited May 2013
    Updated 05/10/2013:

*Mega-super-extreme increase in map size (to prevent marine spawn camping - thanks Seraph).
    *Lowered ceiling height from 256 to 240 (thanks Korn for letting us test on your server).
    *Added blue tinted lights near Marine Start.
    *Added red tinted lights near Aliens Start.
    *Increased intensity of lights in Pain Room.
    *Increased distance of all lights.
    *Added additional obstructions to line-of-sight.
    *Experimenting with rock textures and props.
    *Experimenting with cable props.
    *Removed invisible edges, faces, and vertexes for performance improvements.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    eliotmat said:
    Updated 05/10/2013:

*Mega-super-extreme increase in map size (to prevent marine spawn camping - thanks Seraph).
    *Lowered ceiling height from 256 to 240 (thanks Korn for letting us test on your server).
    *Added blue tinted lights near Marine Start.
    *Added red tinted lights near Aliens Start.
    *Increased intensity of lights in Pain Room.
    *Increased distance of all lights.
    *Added additional obstructions to line-of-sight.
    *Experimenting with rock textures and props.
    *Experimenting with cable props.
    *Removed invisible edges, faces, and vertexes for performance improvements.
    Will try to find a server, or run locally, and report back.
    So the storyline has changed. I couldn't find enough "alien" textures to fulfill my original vision.

New storyline:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130229/wip-ns2_co_battlechamber
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    It would be nice to have some alien textures like in ns1 hive rooms or even HL :P The dynamic infestation took them away from us ; _ ;
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    It would be nice to have some alien textures like in ns1 hive rooms or even HL :P The dynamic infestation took them away from us ; _ ;

That's simply not true, it's just not as robust of a texture/decal set as we had in ns1. There are 2 infestation props and around 3 textures. There's just no reason to use them with dynamic infestation - but you can't spread dynamic infestation in combat yet. See co_skylight, where I have faked infestation.