match begin: drop medpak at techpoint = voila there is the hive! - exploit ?

JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Just had a match again, where the commander said after 5 sec: "hive is in warehouse" (ns2_tram)
I asked him how did he do this ? answer: "its magic"

is this an exploit ? (drop medpak at techpoint -> falls to floor = no hive, gets interrupted (by hive)= hive)
if yes: please fix it.

btw: they fixed "where is main hive/cc at beginning"
(by removing effects like ip-spawn, egg-spawn, sounds you could see as opposite commander in some of the last patches)

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It doesn't really take long before you know where the enemy base is regardless. If a comm wants to waste res on it then they will... if not medpacks, then dropping ghost cc's or rt's.
  • AV_UltimaAV_Ultima Join Date: 2008-05-31 Member: 64367Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes. You can do this.

If UWE wishes to remove this exploit. I do not mind.

Btw, was this commander me? Because I have had this conversation once. :D
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited May 2013
    There's another way in which you can tell as well.... try dropping RT at tech points...whichever one won't allow you to drop an RT is where their hive is at. Don't lose res either compared to using medpacks.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Res wrote: »
    There's another way in which you can tell as well.... try dropping RT at tech points...whichever one won't allow you to drop an RT is where their hive is at. Don't lose res either compared to using medpacks.

But it does tie up those 10 res early game. I quite like that risk/reward tradeoff, really, like the medpack.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited May 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    It doesn't really take long before you know where the enemy base is regardless. If a comm wants to waste res on it then they will... if not medpacks, then dropping ghost cc's or rt's.

i know, BUT compare:
    -3 command station drops at match begin ? (3 x 15 res = 45 res)
    -3 ressource tower drops at match begin (on other side of the map) ? (3 x 10 res = 30 res)
    then you can only hope for skulks to move through the ghost structures to get your ressources back,
    otherwise you will need to cancel them and you will lose ressources too.

compare this to 3 ressources = 3 medpak drops (1 for each techpoint)... i guess you see the big "waste of ressource" difference.
    Roobubba wrote: »

But it does tie up those 10 res early game. I quite like that risk/reward tradeoff, really, like the medpack.

no it doesn't ... if an rt drops you can just hit cancel and you get the res back.
  • AV_UltimaAV_Ultima Join Date: 2008-05-31 Member: 64367Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013

This is also true, but that's 10 res compared to just 1 res.

Roobubba wrote: »

no it doesn't ... if an rt drops you can just hit cancel and you get the res back.

Wrong. You only get 8 res back. :P
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited May 2013
    ... if an rt drops you can just hit cancel and you get the res back.

are you sure ? (you get all res back if you cancel a ghost structure ?)

if yes: they need to fix the medpak drop mechanic for hive locations AND you need to lose ressources if you cancel a ghost structure.

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I remember reading that canceling a ghost building only gives partial res but have never tested it.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members

I'd much rather drop 1-2 res on medpacks than tie up 10-20res in extractor blueprints (you only get 80% back if recycled). Medpacking hives is more cost effective.
    edited May 2013
    hmm I could have sworn you got full res back in live game compared to explore mode.

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    @Joseppe
    Ghost RT scenario:
    Worse Case Scenaro, if your luck is shitty, you guess wrong for 2 tech points and drop 2 ghost RT's. The third one (the one in the alien hive) wont drop since there is a harvester there. At that moment, you have a 20 res loss. If you cancel the 2 that actually got dropped, you get 8 res back from each. That's a 4 res loss from finding the enemy base.

Medpack dropping: Get unlucky and have to drop a med at all tech points. You lose 3 res.

There really isn't much of a res difference between both options.

edited May 2013
    Nope, it gives full res back, have done it many times.

And I assure you. You DON'T get it all back. Only if it is ghosted by cyst or a alien. But if you cancel, you get partial back.
    @Joseppe
    Ghost RT scenario:
    Worse Case Scenaro, if your luck is shitty, you guess wrong for 2 tech points and drop 2 ghost RT's. The third one (the one in the alien hive) wont drop since there is a harvester there. At that moment, you have a 20 res loss. If you cancel the 2 that actually got dropped, you get 8 res back from each. That's a 4 res loss from finding the enemy base.

Medpack dropping: Get unlucky and have to drop a med at all tech points. You lose 3 res.

I usually only drop one tech point with a med. Usually Pipeline on veil. Then I know if aliens are going to have hard time or not.

Just tested. It gave 8 res back. It only gives the full amount if an alien travels through it
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You can just RT check anyways, by attempting to place an RT at the hive location.
    @Joseppe
    Ghost RT scenario:

You only ever need to drop up to 2 medpacks. That itself confirms the hive location, so you lose 2 res. Half the amount for RT checking.
    Chizzler wrote: »

Just tested. It gave 8 res back. It only gives the full amount if an alien travels through it

but did you test in explore mode or in an actual live round?

but did you test in explore mode or in an actual live round?

Actual round (with Cheats enabled). Trust me, I'm right on this one :)
    edited May 2013
    @Joseppe
    Ghost RT scenario:

You only ever need to drop up to 2 medpacks. That itself confirms the hive location, so you lose 2 res. Half the amount for RT checking.

Actually, the only maps you may need to drop 2 meds is Summit and Descent. Only map where teams can spawn at all locations(except mid tech point).

The rest of the maps are always cross spawns(never close spawns). So one med should suffice.

iirc...
    edited May 2013
    @AV_Ultima
    "You only ever need to drop up to 2 medpacks" ;)

Also, you forgot Veil & Refinery. :P
    @AV_Ultima
    "You only ever need to drop up to 2 medpacks" ;)

Also, you forgot Veil & Refinery. :P

Wait. I thought refinery was made to be cross spawns only too...

... Man that map sucks...

On Veil, I drop meds in Pipe only. So I know if my team can easily lock nano down and take sub. :)
  • insane_enufinsane_enuf Join Date: 2003-06-09 Member: 17160Members
    Or do it the free way.

Select your IP and try to give a way-point on your full-screen map to each techpoint. The one that is successful is where their hive is.

Free and easy
    edited May 2013
    You may be right about refinery, I've not played it much recently (Thanks to the Chasm exploit)... anyway, the point is medpacking is more cost effective than RT checking :)

AV_Ultima wrote: »
    On Veil, I drop meds in Pipe only. So I know if my team can easily lock nano down and take sub. :)

Great minds think alike! :)
    @insane_enuf

Zomg! USE ALL THE EXPLOITS!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    More is known then this, it's also on the list of dewm...
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I didn't know about the medpack trick before Sewlek told me in a match.
    Z0mg, devz teach players how to exploitz!!1
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2013
    I don't think it's a big deal, both methods require you to lose team res (unless an alien run into your RT, but obviously a knowledgeable player would just leave it there to blow res from the rines, unless instructed otherwise)

Also it's not like you won't find out in a few seconds from players/drifters scouting
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    To be frank, there are so many methods to 'exploit' finding the starting location on both sides that its practically become a feature of the game. I've personally suggested that it just be made official and make the starting locations visible to both teams by default.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd be all for having spawns known from the beginning of the game. Even if you don't use an exploit, not knowing the starting location of the other team has virtually no effect on how the game plays out. By the first engagement you will pretty much already know
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    either remove all this crap or reveal the spawns

game design basics...