NS LEVEL UPS

GodCommGodComm Join Date: 2013-04-26 Member: 185003Members
The more kdr or kills or points you get, the better icons you get next to your name, unlocking better armor. The armor will not increase your play but is more for looks. So how about level 1-100. Level 10 gets a new suit. Level 25 gets a new gun look. Level 50 gets 2 eject votes for commander. Level 75 gets to be able to start votekicks on players. Level 100 gets 2 votes on next map.

Comments

• douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    nah, devs have been pretty clear that this sort of thing won't happen. it attracts hackers due to the long term benefits and it doesn't really add anything to the game.
  • GodCommGodComm Join Date: 2013-04-26 Member: 185003Members
    yes it does. COD MW2 anyone?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    GodComm wrote: »

oldschool rules supercede newschool shenanigans
    edited April 2013
    COD is the #1 gaming franchise ever made. It surpasses all fps games. COD MW1 was very original and revolutionized the fps game forever. Why else do you get +7 when you kill a gorge in NS2? It is a tribute or copy of the game mechanics of COD. Just like the spring function in NS2. All we are missing is iron sights and level ups, and NS2 has the potential to be more popular.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    COD is the #1 gaming franchise ever made. It surpasses all fps games. COD MW1 was very original and revolutionized the fps game forever. Why else do you get +7 when you kill a skulk in NS2? It is a tribute or copy of the game mechanics of COD. Just like the spring function in NS2. All we are missing is iron sights and level ups, and NS2 has the potential to be more popular.
    Try again...

COD is the #1 gaming franchise ever made. It surpasses all fps games. COD MW1 was very original and revolutionized the fps game forever. Why else do you get +7 when you kill a gorge in NS2? It is a tribute or copy of the game mechanics of COD. Just like the spring function in NS2. All we are missing is iron sights and level ups, and NS2 has the potential to be more popular.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    This game obviously needs killstreaks, if a marine should get 30 kills straight without a single death, it should nuke the server and force the alien team to uninstall their game immediately.
    I have had a killstreak of 30 before. Usually they surrender by that point.
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    Sarcasm is lost on some.

I wouldn't mind seeing some levels, no idea what they could accomplish or represent. Right now my only trophy is my 500+ hours on steam. I think that be adding additional privileges would prove to be a problem and encourage others to hack, those should be left upto server admins. I would be interested to get additional armor types, or weapons that are supported by all servers and past consistency settings on all servers.

Its important to keep in mind that this game and community is NOT made for COD fans, a COD fan club gets bored after 1 year of no new updates. As a NS2 is fan I'm more interested in a quality based game rather than just mindless killing and K/d ratios.
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Where the fuck are my perks UWE? Give me One-Man Army and I dont need to bother the comm anymore
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    ANOTHER one of these stupid threads.
    yeah but cod has no gameplay. that's why it can add so much to it. because adding little to nothing is a HUGE addition.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Oh...god..."CoD revolutionised gaming, CoD4 was so original" must...not...rage.

Get the fuck out of here.
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    This game obviously needs killstreaks, if a marine should get 30 kills straight without a single death, it should nuke the server and force the alien team to uninstall their game immediately.

If a Marine is getting 30 Kills straight without a death, that marine needs to go and find a server with people of his skill level.

• sumo0sumo0 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164543Members
    edited April 2013
    I never understood why people need these sorts of things in order to be motivated to play.
    This might be true. But don't forget that there are ALOT of idiots out there.

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    COD 1/2 were both great games.. but after that they really went downhill. i watch some videos every once in a while and want to reinstall it, but i'm sure it's as hacker filled as every older game i've reinstalled :(
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    i dunno who said that, but i think it was accurate : COD owns the COD market, trying to make your game like COD will eventually fail because the COD market is saturated with COD games. Make your own game with its own market AKA what NS2 is doing
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The CoD market is shit anyway, why would anyone want to have their game be like that (lol money $$$$$$$$$)
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    NO, instead implementing thath cod fanboy idea, devs should concentrate more on level based combat mod. I would like to see old xmenu, finished maps, and more levels and upgrades.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    GrayW wrote: »

If a Marine is getting 30 Kills straight without a death, that marine needs to go and find a server with people of his skill level.
    meaning a veteran player on a newbie server
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    Montyp wrote: »
    Sarcasm is lost on some.

I wouldn't mind seeing some levels, no idea what they could accomplish or represent. Right now my only trophy is my 500+ hours on steam. I think that be adding additional privileges would prove to be a problem and encourage others to hack, those should be left upto server admins. I would be interested to get additional armor types, or weapons that are supported by all servers and past consistency settings on all servers.

Its important to keep in mind that this game and community is NOT made for COD fans, a COD fan club gets bored after 1 year of no new updates. As a NS2 is fan I'm more interested in a quality based game rather than just mindless killing and K/d ratios.

a while ago some people tossed out a leveling system that has no perks or befits just a level there were not definitive idwas of how to level, im now think juts time played level sort of thing, i've juts had an idea if it time played the 10 hours played per level? so if you have like 400 hours played then your level will be 40, the hours played level system juts tells someone if you have alot of experience in playing the game. and if its implemented set a "level cap" meaning no one above level 20 in this server, so no veterans in a newbie server
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    COD is popular because anyone can do it.
    Probably the best summary of why COD is so popular that I've ever heard.
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    I'm tempted to say "obvious troll s obvious", but since the NS community largely enjoys a pretty good reputation, I'll stay friendly.

Level progression, as well as other "gamification" elements we find in many "modern" games can be either "cosmetical" or "technical".
    Cosmetical levels do not affect the gameplay in any way. I don't think they fit NS that much, but I don't see any hard resason to dismis these things, either. I know of some servers that use an internal leveling system that awards you points after each round, gives you an icon/badge on the scoreboard based on your level, etc. I think that this is quite a fair way for server admins to reward their regulars and incentivize players to come back more often.

Level that have an effect on the actual game balance, however, are a BIG NO-NO! I'm extremely confident, such a thing will never be part of the core game.

Speaking of balance: I do see quite some potential to use "levels/ranks" as a means to improve the team-stacking situation we too often see. If a rank would actually represent an estimated "impact" a player can have on a round, the server could display a message "The Marine team's cumulative player rank is more than X% of the Alien team's." or even prevent players from joining a stacked team. This would however only work if there was a good way to measure the "impact factor" of a player and adjust it up/down regularly (in most games, you only GAIN levels/ranks, never lose them...)
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    edited May 2013
    codboy aside, cod indeed revolutionized the fps genre. just because the franchise has become a cash cow, that doesn't erase the past of the series. COD4 was a masterpiece, it still is.

calm your tits.
  • ChrisRobinChrisRobin Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185248Members
    I think in fact it would be ok to have military ranks  based on NS2's universe it gives more deepness to the game i think and it could unlock like medals and distinctive suits , just that so when you see somebody you know how good it is and with aliens it could add some mutations like tentacles or thinks like that , but just visual stuff. Just for the improving feeling and customization.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San said:
    Rambo Commando
    UWE's next game. Requires little to no dev time once it is made so they can still focus 50% of their time on ns2. The other 45% to making a third game of some sort.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    so many CODs but no chips ? :)