Need help/hint mapping for mods (Combat, Last Stand, etc.)

SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
Playing the Last Stand mod made me try out the spark map editor. My goal is to create a basic, working ls_map. To figure out what entities need to be placed in order for the map to work I opened the existent ls maps and ls_hellevator. But I didn't find any of the entities I expected to see (after watching Mendasp's basic entity video for vanilla ns2 maps). Is there something I am missing? (Probably yes).
Can anyone please explain to me - step by step - what I need to do to create a map that can WORK in a mod? Preferably use Combat and/or Last Stand as an example.
Thanks!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Quoting myself for the Last Stand info ;)
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Solaris wrote: »
    Last Stand sparked (pun intended) my interest in trying out the map editor. I thought creating a small, basic, but still playable map would be a lot easier than with vanilla NS2.
    I downloaded hellevator and opened it in the editor to see how to set up a ls_map... and didn't find any entities???
    No spawn locations, no game_rules_stuff, etc.
    I'm confused. The map is working in game but not in the editor? What am I missing?

I just used a hacky way to get it to work btw. I've simply added the Last Stand entity list to the NS2 editor_setup.xml and copied the related models over to the NS2 model folder. Setting up a mod is a safer way to do this, but it works and I don't feel like setting up a mod if it already works :P

There are only 6 entities needed for a Last Stand map:
    1x ls_alien_spawn
    2x ls_ammo_pile
    2x ls_equip_pile
    1x ls_exo
    1x ls_marine_spawn
    2x ls_meds_pile

If you've set up the mod correctly or used the hacky way, they will show up in your entity list. For the ammo, meds and equipment piles it's best to have two locations for each of them, one somewhere in the marine base or very close and one in the "danger zone"
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    @Solaris - while what Kouji said is helpful what you need to do to see the ls_ entities is install the Last Stand mod into your Launchpad, and then launch the editor with the Last Stand mod selected.

With that said I don't see any Last Stand mod thread with the files on Github or anything like that. The files should be on your computer already though, but I'm not sure where and I don't see a setup thread - Kouji-san can you point us in the right place?
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor

Here is a quick and dirty, hacky way to set up you editor to use the mod you want to map for:

1.) Create an new, empty directory. For this example we'll use C:\ns2_mods\combat\ (we want to map for Combat)

2.) In this directory create a new folder named "output".

3.) Download the mod via the Steam Workshop.

4.) Go to C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop and find the directory of the mod you want.

In this example it should be the directory "m5f35045_1366753446" (Combat)

5.) Copy all the stuff from  C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop\ m5f35045_1366753446\ into the output folder you created in step 2 (C:\ns2_mods\combat\output\)

6.) Open the Spark Launch Pad (X:\Steam\SteamApps\common\natural selection 2\LauchPad.exe)

7.) Select "New"

8.) Mod directory is "C:\ns2_mods\combat" (without the "\output"!). You can name it however you want, for this example we'll call it "Combat Mapping". Leave the field "Create from basic template" unchecked. Click "Create".

The windows title of your Launch Pad should now say "Spark Launch Pad - Combat Mapping".

9.) Open the Editor via the Launch Pad.

All the mod entities should be there now.

10.) Have fun (optional)

Note: As said before this is a bit "hacky", but it should work. I've noticed that the Launch Pad tends to "forget" the mods I created this way, so you might have to repeat steps 7-9 again.

• SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    edited May 2013
    Hypergrip wrote: »
    Here is a quick and dirty, hacky way to set up you editor to use the mod you want to map for:
    1.) Create an new, empty directory. For this example we'll use C:\ns2_mods\combat\ (we want to map for Combat)
    2.) In this directory create a new folder named "output".
    3.) Download the mod via the Steam Workshop.
    4.) Go to C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop and find the directory of the mod you want.In this example it should be the directory "m5f35045_1366753446" (Combat)
    5.) Copy all the stuff from  C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop\ m5f35045_1366753446\ into the output folder you created in step 2 (C:\ns2_mods\combat\output\)
    6.) Open the Spark Launch Pad (X:\Steam\SteamApps\common\natural selection 2\LauchPad.exe)
    7.) Select "New"
    8.) Mod directory is "C:\ns2_mods\combat" (without the "\output"!). You can name it however you want, for this example we'll call it "Combat Mapping". Leave the field "Create from basic template" unchecked. Click "Create".The windows title of your Launch Pad should now say "Spark Launch Pad - Combat Mapping".
    9.) Open the Editor via the Launch Pad.All the mod entities should be there now.
    10.) Have fun (optional)<br />
    Note: As said before this is a bit "hacky", but it should work. I've noticed that the Launch Pad tends to "forget" the mods I created this way, so you might have to repeat steps 7-9 again.

Worked! Thank you!
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Used this to start my Last Stand map, thank you for the tips!