New official modding tutorial

MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
I have created a modding tutorial aimed at new modders.

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/time-to-make-the-mods/

Let me know what you think! I plan to make more tutorials in the future assuming these are useful.

Comments

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2013
    Nice to get started. The most crucial part about modding is to get familiar with the hooks of the existing framework, though.

A guide that points out the general flow of code execution during a game and the relationship of classes with each other would be very helpful.

Good examples are the Technical Guide sections of Epic's UDN for their core classes. It merely scratches the surface, but it's a good start to know what's going on.

Gameplay flow during a match
    Human and AI characters
    Flow of weapon and inventory item code, on client and server
    HUD drawing
    Camera positions and properties
  • tamalontamalon Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168470Members
    I have created a modding tutorial aimed at new modders.

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/time-to-make-the-mods/

Let me know what you think! I plan to make more tutorials in the future assuming these are useful.

i cannot stress how useful this is. please make more. :)
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    more pls more more more
  • SaladsSalads California Join Date: 2013-05-02 Member: 185086Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    This actually helped me out allot! Please do more! I'm eager to learn :3
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    The modding for this game needs more/better documentation. It's great to see NS2/UWE providing tuts and such, and I hope to see more.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    If you all have suggestions for specific tutorials, I am all ears.

Preferably something that won't take quite as long to write as this one did ;)
  • DerAkademikerDerAkademiker Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175540Members
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to read something about the new sound related stuff I've seen in several changelogs. Since we have the community tuts for Fmod implementation it would not be too much for you to write down as an addition...I guess...;)

1. How does the implementation without Fmod work? Which formats can we use? What's with the reverb and other effect settings...are they set to 100% or to 0% for sounds outside of Fmod?

2. What does this mean practically: "Sound effects are now entity based and inherit the relevancy of their triggering entity"?

3. What else is new in terms of sound?
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited May 2013
    Can you provide a tutorial on how to navigate the LUA code? There are some things I'd like to do, but I'm not sure where to start. I'd like to know how to look for game events, for my own scoring system, and how to do something like make a skulks outside view fish eye while biting so i can track rines easier on my one screen rig. (justification is people on multi-screen rigs have a higher FOV)

So basically, how the structure of the game's code works, and how things are done in it. lol. very broad I am sorry
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited May 2013
    This tutorial assumes you want to make a "total conversion" mod. Yet the example is a simple tweak which would be needlessly incompatible with every other simple tweak written with the help of this tutorial only because of the method used to load it. So, it wouldn't be a great idea to write anything but essentially a new game with it, which should be mentioned or a new mod writer will find himself disappointed with their new cool "marine vs skulk goomba stomp mod" not working with their favorite "jumping on a gorge acts like a trampoline" mod (I don't know if these exist, feel free to make it if you'd like :P), or any other mod that naively followed the tutorial, which would be disappointing.

It would be good if you talked about when to use game_setup.xml as an entry point and when to use the "Simple Mod Framework", the strengths and weaknesses and how to make the best use out of them.