co_portals - Community Made Fun Map!

Comments

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited April 2013
    @DarkSeraph Thanks for your kind words regarding my music that I made myself. :'( *weeps*

;)

Most of it is actually pretty good, but when I flipped to ~44 it was a little 'happy hardcore'ish for my taste. Sorry didn't mean to insult!

Edit: I left it playing after that 44 bit and didn't even notice haha most of its like cheesy 16-bit game music
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    @darkseraph I'll definitely fix the lava fall trigger, and the cave leading away from alien portal, away from playable areas, is going to have player clipping where the two diagonal rock formations are. Players won't be able to reach or see around that corner. As for the little guy, he's from Descent's Drone Bay.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    DarkSeraph wrote: »

@WorthRival - the room looks great in game! The busy futuristic texture/effects are used tastefully; might change portal effects, but might leave the anti-grav one there? I like the ceiling texture behind the fan, I don't remember that one. Three initial concerns: 1. when exiting the side portals the initial reaction to run forward runs you into a wall that you can't even jump over that easily, maybe try to make that transition smoother? 2. The glass at the very top that you can get behind, is that intentional? It partly acts like a vent but you can't go behind 3 posts and most of the time you can still get shot from below. You can also get behind the fan/screen as skulk which I don't think you should be able to do. 3. The portal in the center is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how well it's going to work. Even gameplay thoughts aside I would occasionally port through and be forced right back (I think depending on entrance velocity). Can someone else take a look and help give feedback on this?

The side portal wall was intentional. Reason: Coming through and immediately under fire. You can duck behind it for cover. I'll take another look at it anyway. But it was intentional to try and improve gameplay.

Not sure about the glass at the top or the fan screen. As an Alien skulk you can get behind it ? I'll take a look at it.

I can raise the portal in the center so there is more air time and longer air control.
    Visually it just it looks good right in the center of the circular rings.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    I'm going to stream some further work on the hive room in a few minutes: http://www.twitch.tv/flaterectomy/

EDIT: Stream's over now, with only minor spam from Rudy! :p VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/flaterectomy/b/394353016 (starts at 3m50s)
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Quick, everyone go to his channel and spam the Chat !!!
    edited April 2013
    Well, since the broadcasting thing seem to be popular these days I think I will give a try too.

I am going to stream my work on Portals room. I am gonna adjust the central cage and work a bit on the swimming pool. Feel free to join in, it will be free of any cheesy music :-P

You can spam me trough the Steam chat, you will on the screen, you will be famous !!! :-D

EDIT lol the chanell is :-D
  • BrawBraw Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63920Members, Constellation
    I'll upload my part this weekend if all goes well :)
    Ok, yesterday stream was fun. I am gonna stream today again. Probably today it wont that interesting as yesterday, I will be working on the cage wagon so expect heavy vertex manipulation.

Again, you can spam me trough Steam. Twitch chat I will be checking just from time to time.
    I wish I could watch some of your streams live, but it's in the middle of my work day :(
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Updated Room 2 a bit.
    Workshop updated.

Fixed a few things you mentioned
    Changed the portals
    Didn't get to the side portals collision geometry yet.

New Vents.
    New Cinematics.
    Few texture changes.
    edited April 2013
    Worthy - I'll take another look soon, thanks for the quick fix.

So we have everyone on board & accounted for. The only person I've not been able to reach is @Evil_bOb1 .

@ritualsacrifice is working on a marine start with a civilian tile set: a landing pad with 'Matrix' lobby. He'll be more active in the next two weeks (before start of ENSL semi-finals).
    @Caboose will be posting screenshots of the ready room in the near future.
    @Evil_bOb1 has a small room and will make it, but has exams in next two weeks, so will complete in last 2 weeks (no problem!)

I'd like to thank everyone for their hard work & support so far. We have a little less than a month to go before I'd like to have all rooms finalized & ready to put together! If you're 100% complete on your room earlier I'd be happy to take it from you - I will publish a WIP version once the first ~3 rooms are complete.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    Why is there a post missing ...
    How does extra entities now?

Also do i really need to use extra entities or can i just make a room and send that to you
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Easiest thing if you just want to start mapping is to copy the editor_setup.xml from extra entities to your ns2 folder.
    Setting it up in Launch Pad is a bit tricky atm, after it you have then always start the editor from the launch pad.

I always start it there anyways... so no problem
    In-editor WIP shot of room 9:

VFAbRE8.jpg
    Lookin pretty sweet Flat.

Draktok hold off for now - I'm waiting for the launchpad issues to be sorted out.
    edited April 2013
    I'll make a room now anyways cause ideas in my head >: D
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    @flaterectomy, I'd love to see more on that theme. Very nice.

But is that a room under a room?
    @Pandademic Indeed it is! I don't think the commander will mind in a combat map, though. ;)
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    We need also a vice city styled room !
    Jim posted this in the EEM thread on how to update your new launchpad with EEM:
    JimWest wrote: »
    Allright I have created a short VBS file wich will set your launch pad so you only have to start it then.
    Downlaod the mod from here:

https://github.com/JimWest/ExtraEntitesMod/archive/master.zip

* Download the mod (zip), save everything at the Ns2 folder.
    * Open LaunchPad for the first time so it will create the options.xml, close it then
    * Open "setup_launchpad.vbs", it should say mod set in Launchpad
    * Open LaunchPad, press open and select "ExtraEntitiesMod"
    * Open the Editor now via LaunchPad, everything should be in there then.

Haven't uploaded it to workshop so there are some options you can't use yet, like give Exo or jetpack,
    but will upload it soon to workshop.

Thanks a bunch JimWest! You're the best!
    Short video showing my progress so far:

Hmm looking really sexy! Just hope that the music won't be part of the map :-P
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    @flaterectomy: looks very promising, this map will have a very unique style and that is great.
    you may want to add a little more cover though, as right now marines will just use the long hallways like a shooting range :)
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    You will be one with the cheese, Archie. :P
    Pampelmuse wrote: »
    @flaterectomy: looks very promising, this map will have a very unique style and that is great.
    you may want to add a little more cover though, as right now marines will just use the long hallways like a shooting range :)
    Yeah, the underpass hallway is very long. I'm trying to think of different ways to address that. I will be making some chandeliers to dangle in the actual hive room as well, for additional blocking.

edited May 2013
    Looking awesome @Flaterectomy !
    Rudy.cz wrote: »

Oh man I'm never gonna live this one down, am I? :(

Actually it makes me think that an 8 bit themed room could have been very cool. Blocky 8 bit looking textures with 8 bit music - would have been awesome.
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    Actually it makes me think that an 8 bit themed room could have been very cool. Blocky 8 bit looking textures with 8 bit music - could have been cool.

Actually that is great idea!

Looking great @Flaterectomy

Might I suggest some sort of Sacificial Alter in the center. maybe place some props of onos parts on it.
    1. It goes with your church theme.
    2. A bit of cover for aliens.
    3. Sources https://www.google.com.au/search?q=sacrificial+altar&client=firefox-a&hs=n8C&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=Vh2HUYjJEqjJiAef4YGYDQ&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=862