Eject!!! For Exos, not Kahalms

MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
I think the only thing really missing from the Exo's now (other than the ability to heal or solo an Onos at close distances) is being able to bail out of the Exo if life gets to crazy. They already have the Exo entrance animation just reverse it and have the now unmanned Exo just chill there, still destroyable by bile bomb like every other weapon. This could help change the balance, and most likely it would be more alien oriented. If a Marine was ever going to jump out of an expensive Exo it would probably be for a damned good reason like jumping into the com chair to drop IPs'.

Comments

• DeadonstickDeadonstick Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184877Members
    Not being able to get out of exos has always been a bit of a problem. You can drop every weapon you own except for your melee weapon, the exo should be no exception.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those (and the other things you listed like healing and soloing an Onos (WTF???)) are part of the trade-off of the exo for being such a powerful combat unit.

If the marine was able to jump out of the exo, that would allow them to build buildings, weld themselves, and other things that would make exos OP.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Last Stand has EXO eject, also since you drop all your nonstandard equipment when jumping into one. I fail to see how magically welding your EXO is even on the table as a potential problem :P
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Last Stand has EXO eject, also since you drop all your nonstandard equipment when jumping into one. I fail to see how magically welding your EXO is even on the table as a potential problem :P

But the question is what's the point of ditching your exo if you have absolutely nothing? Being able to jump in and out of your exo at will will only, imho, spark the argument for being able to keep your gear while in the exo so you're not naked when you leave it.

Also, the exo in Last Stand is immobile and the marines keep their gear when jumping into and out of the exo meaning that it isn't even pertinent to this conversation.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    FYI when stepping into the Last Stand EXO, you drop your weapons next to the EXO (you get reset to rifle/pistol/axe, it even drops the jetpack)
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    If they ever implement "bailing out" from an Exo, I just hope they make it so that getting out of the Exo takes at least 0.1 second longer than it does to activate a distress beacon.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

But the question is what's the point of ditching your exo if you have absolutely nothing?

Because you have an unbuilt CC but the 2 exo's are the only ones alive and that's a stupid way to end the game. This has been relevant for games I've played at least twice in the past 3 months. Not much but enough to notice and hate it.
  • Spektor56Spektor56 Join Date: 2010-11-10 Member: 74858Members
    Tinker wrote: »
    Because you have an unbuilt CC but the 2 exo's are the only ones alive and that's a stupid way to end the game. This has been relevant for games I've played at least twice in the past 3 months. Not much but enough to notice and hate it.

That and because you cant use phase-gates when in an Exo to quickly help defend another location

• SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I'd like to be able to ditch it and have it self destruct as a neat dynamic to the game. Also, if you get out of it you can lock it so another player cannot take it. I can see people jumping out to build or weld something and someone else takes off in it stealing your hard work.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think it'd be most useful if ejecting destroyed the exo. You keep your gear (with the exception of Jetpacks) and you can self destruct your exo once it gets below 10% armor(health). So if you just barely survive an encounter with aliens and no one is near to weld you, rather than die, just eject and run.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    Calego wrote: »
    I think it'd be most useful if ejecting destroyed the exo. You keep your gear (with the exception of Jetpacks) and you can self destruct your exo once it gets below 10% armor(health). So if you just barely survive an encounter with aliens and no one is near to weld you, rather than die, just eject and run.

to keep from having a solo Exo rush have the eject be permanent and it self destructs automatically no matter what and it hurts everyone including marines
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I disagree, you know the risks when you take an Exo. No beacon, no phasing. If an alien team can coordinate an attack which separates your Exos from the rest of the team then they deserve the advantage.
    Tinker wrote: »

You have two players left and no buildings! I don't think an Exo eject would save you here. ;)
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    I think it would give a fun additive to the game, the reason I bring it up is because I've had a few times where the exo is the last unit left and he was standing right infront of an unbuilt IP, if the exos got a bigger version of Xenocide I would be happy with that, able to lock out others from taking the exo that someone jumped out of.

Plus I dont think someone would be able to weld their exo, you can't weld a piece of equipment when its bile bombed by gorges. Just active units.
    edited April 2013
    Montyp wrote: »
    I think it would give a fun additive to the game, the reason I bring it up is because I've had a few times where the exo is the last unit left and he was standing right infront of an unbuilt IP, if the exos got a bigger version of Xenocide I would be happy with that, able to lock out others from taking the exo that someone jumped out of.

As was said, building an IP probably won't save you unless the aliens are just plain terrible (if so, how did they get you basically dead?). Also, Xeno kills you as well so... wouldn't help ;).
    Plus I don't think someone would be able to weld their exo, you can't weld a piece of equipment when its bile bombed by gorges. Just active units.

Unless they've changed this recently, you can weld something that is currently being biled and welders heal faster than bile destroys... even before the bile nerf...

As was said, building an IP probably won't save you unless the aliens are just plain terrible (if so, how did they get you basically dead?). Also, Xeno kills you as well so... wouldn't help ;).
    Plus I don't think someone would be able to weld their exo, you can't weld a piece of equipment when its bile bombed by gorges. Just active units.

Unless they've changed this recently, you can weld something that is currently being biled and welders heal faster than bile destroys... even before the bile nerf...

Good looking point, glad you brought it up. If you make it like Xeno put the same countdown timer on the Exo. Anything near the exo goes BOOM but BIG-BADDA-BOOM!

Plus you can't weld a shotgun on the ground if its being bilebomed, you can only pick it up. For a low exo that would be Death! I think it would be an acceptable balance.

For a last IP I've had it before where the Kalham forgot to drop an IP at a different base and the main was destroyed. The ONLY reason aliens won is because we lost power then lost all people eventually. If an Exo could bail out, even for a moment, could have won the game for us.
    I don't know, I still say that it shouldn't be done.

When you choose an exo, you know what you are giving up. It allows aliens to plan strategies around it (as they have to because they typically can't win straight up fights against exo balls). Say for example you have 2 exos. The aliens (if they've seen them) know that there are two fewer players who will respond to a beacon. Thus, if they choose to rush the base, they can count on there being two fewer people and thus (if the marines are ahead), might judge that they can win that engagement.

If marines could jump out of exos, the comm could delay the beacon for a couple seconds and let the exo marines jump out and join in the beacon meaning that the aliens can no longer predict how many people will be responding. That's only one example, but it's situations such as these where it is a clearly designed drawback to the exo that is be circumvented by being able to jump out of an exo. I think that just allowing marines to jump out of exos without changing anything else would introduce too many problems.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1

It's already in Last Stand. Would love to see it ported into vanilla NS2. There have been many times where I really wanted to be able to hop out of the exo for short periods of time.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    +1

It's already in Last Stand. Would love to see it ported into vanilla NS2. There have been many times where I really wanted to be able to hop out of the exo for short periods of time.

read my post earlier it would be annoying to have a single exo that can repair itself when aliens arnt attacking it...juts have a self destruct that hurts/kills everything that'd make it balanced
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    I don't see the problem, if you are welding yourself when you are alone, you are totally harmless, thus the aliens can come and kill you a lot easily.
    It also add a lot of tension and fun for both sides.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    I don't know, I still say that it shouldn't be done.

When you choose an exo, you know what you are giving up. It allows aliens to plan strategies around it (as they have to because they typically can't win straight up fights against exo balls). Say for example you have 2 exos. The aliens (if they've seen them) know that there are two fewer players who will respond to a beacon. Thus, if they choose to rush the base, they can count on there being two fewer people and thus (if the marines are ahead), might judge that they can win that engagement.

If marines could jump out of exos, the comm could delay the beacon for a couple seconds and let the exo marines jump out and join in the beacon meaning that the aliens can no longer predict how many people will be responding. That's only one example, but it's situations such as these where it is a clearly designed drawback to the exo that is be circumvented by being able to jump out of an exo. I think that just allowing marines to jump out of exos without changing anything else would introduce too many problems.

This would make an ambushing gorge much better, make them beacon, leave the exos alone, now you can rush the dropped exos .... Profit!

I do like the idea of being able to bail out of the exos, not sure if i like the self-destruct idea better or just leaving the empty exo in the ground while you run for it. Chances are that if you bailed the exo it was to try and get an extra LMG clip of damage to that Onos that just killed your exo.

• reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Bail out YES, BUT: if are you entering EXO you drop everything (remains only pistol and axe, ability to re-equip lmg in armory cost free). Ejection/enter should have quite long delay. Damage of exo should transfer to marine health (if exo has 10% health and rine bails out, he should also has 10% health). Textures, animations are implemented in ls, so that would be easy to implement in game.
    I like the idea of dropping LMG when getting into the Exo, however I can't see any reason why health should be damaged when the Exo is. The entire point of an Exo suit is that when it gets hurt you don't.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Regnareb wrote: »
    I don't see the problem, if you are welding yourself when you are alone, you are totally harmless, thus the aliens can come and kill you a lot easily.
    It also add a lot of tension and fun for both sides.
    This.

Just add a significant delay (I'd say something like 1-3s) for getting back into the exo and it'd be a nice tradeoff.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    The idea of Exos having a self-destruct option when you leave... alternative to ARCs?

All go Exo, walk in to their Hive, stand next to it... eject and run.

Bye Hive!
    Regardless of the damage done by an exploding ext I seriously doubt that the 50-75 res would be better spent in anyone's mind as a walking bomb, compared to being support for a marine team of long term damage to units and the hive. Could be a fun way to end a match where Aliens get stomped
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Put it this way, what if fade or onos couldn't get into hive?
    "awwww, you really wanted to drop those eggs, well to bad, you knew the risks when you went onos".

This is a bit of an extreme example, but I still think being able to hop out of an exo is 100% positive. (For both sides, depending)

However... hasn't anyone thought about p.res shifting from noob to pro's? Could that potently be unbalanced?

However... hasn't anyone thought about p.res shifting from noob to pro's? Could that potently be unbalanced?

Thats an entirely different thread to start, however I think that would ruin the balance on the game especially early on. The entire team could shift their res to 1 player and go 20 second Onos, also it wouldn't be a welcoming atmosphere for new players. Lots of people screaming PRESS X GIVE AWAY YOUR RES!!! DO IT DO IT!!!

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited May 2013
    @Montyp, wut?

Sorry, I was talking about exo's...
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2013

Put it this way, what if fade or onos couldn't get into hive?
    "awwww, you really wanted to drop those eggs, well to bad, you knew the risks when you went onos".

This is a bit of an extreme example, but I still think being able to hop out of an exo is 100% positive. (For both sides, depending)

Nobody wants a strawman argument, but for the sake of discussion the equivalent would be the Exo being able to hop into the command chair without removing his armour. The Onos can currently 'remove his armour', though I think most would agree that he'd be dumb as bricks to sacrifice the 75 res.

I'm struggling to think of an instance when jumping out of an Exo would be beneficial.

When you're on your own? Exos shouldn't be on their own, if you are then it's usually because the aliens forced a beacon and are now bearing down on you - Jumping out would just hasten your death.

When you're the only marine left alive? If the alien team got you to this point they are likely good enough not to let you build an IP.

Not saying I'd complain if it was included, but the ability seems like feature creep and I can't see myself using it. Except for handing my suit over to the MVP, but screw that guy. ;)

edited May 2013
    @EgoGamer

Maybe it's me because I prefer 16+ servers /can't find otherwise, but once I got 6 exos farting around in base, unable to do anything. Even two people stuck in this position is annoying because a big push with exo's is often smartly countered with a base trade. (also maybe its me because I love going exo and find myself in these situations a lot)

A base trade that could leave the only option of those number of exo's to rush the last alien bases, only to lose as aliens instadrop (Ronstadt? lol atuocorrect) a hive on the other side of the map.

BTW, as marine com I like to have mac's following exos... which means if say an IP was dropped by the last player...

Finally, no, it probably would not get used often. But WHEN the magic is there and you are stuck in a base that just needs X, it is a feature I would like to have is some way or another.