Porting mods over to the new launchpad.

FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
edited April 2013 in Modding
I noticed there is a bit of confusion in regards to porting over your already existing mods into the new Launchpad system (Especially in regards to inadvertently creating new mods when you intend to just update your old mod.)

This guide is to simplify the process of porting over your existing mods so can continue to update them if you encountered trouble with the steam workshop. Chops has provided a detailed video displaying the features of the new Launchpad and can be viewed here.

Porting your existing mods to the new Launchpad. Step by step process...

1. Open Launchpad. Create a new mod that points to your existing mod files (and name it as you would want it to appear in the workshop). A new file will be generated called mod.settings within your root mod folder, this replaces your /.publish/info.xml of the original implementation.

2. Now to be able to update your mods without having to create a new workshop entry, you'll have to retrieve your publish_id info either via the info.xml in the .publish folder of your pre existing mod files (or via the url on the workshop). This ID is in Decimal (base10) format, to covert your mod over into the new system this number will have to be converted into Hexadecimal. You can do this with your common calculator program by switching between Decimal and Hexadecimal mode. (See screenshot.)
lsw5gHz.png

2. Once you have your Hexadecimal mod ID. Open mod.settings in a text editor and add the following line... publish_id = "<your mods id#>"
qWZ0yKz.png

4. Now to prevent the Launchpad from creating a new mod in the workshop at this time you'll have to close out your Launchpad completely and then execute it again. At that time you'll have to click the "Open" option and open the mod you're porting into the new system. Now you may update your original workshop mod without creating a new mod within the steam workshop.
(Do not skip this step otherwise you will create a brand new mod and it will automatically overwrite the publish_id contained within your mod.settings file.)

5. Now you may (if you wish) relocate the preview.jpg originally located within your /.publish/ folder to your root mod folder to replace the generated default preview.jpg. Now you may safely delete the /.publish/ folder and info.xml contained within it as it no longer contains any needed information or data.

6. Now you can update your pre existing mods on via the new Launchpad. Enjoy!

Special notes:

If you're simply creating simple cosmetic mods such as crosshairs you simply need to place the modded files within the output folder. (No need for builder process.)

Example:

/output/ui/crosshairs.dds
/output/ui/crosshairs_hit.dds

Comments

• xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    I noticed the builder isn't compiling the overview's, and it says it skips them. And when I visit the output directory, my map overviews are not in them.

My overviews are in the following:

source/mapsrc/overviews/

• FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Are they newly generated overviews or your old ones? If they're actually newly generated map overviews regardless of what builder is saying I guess you can simply copy them over to your /output/ folder as a work around for now. If they aren't generating map overviews at all then I'm personally not sure. I am asking around though.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    FLuX wrote: »
    Are they newly generated overviews or your old ones? If they're actually newly generated map overviews regardless of what builder is saying I guess you can simply copy them over to your /output/ folder as a work around for now. If they aren't generating map overviews at all then I'm personally not sure. I am asking around though.

Just to clarify, they are the old ones. But I am assuming this did not matter since we are creating a new mod folder.

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Publish Failed: Error updating mod (error code: 16).

Thats all i get when attempting to publish.

Also having multiple mods in the launchpad list causes the names to get out of order. If i have 3 mods list and open the second, it becomes the first next time i open the list, but one of the other ones will have the same name.

Also the builder tool doesnt copy over .entry files from the source, so if your mod uses them to get loaded you need to manually copy them, else it wont be loaded.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    xtcmen wrote: »

Just to clarify, they are the old ones. But I am assuming this did not matter since we are creating a new mod folder.

Just work in the output folder in the same way you worked with your old launchpad setup, the builder isn't needed for maps, it'd be cool if it generated the overviews, though.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited April 2013
    So wtf is this ????
    Tried to republis my laser mines for test and only a .modinfo file is now on workshop when suscribing to it.

Seems like the bad LaunchPad is now even more worse ...

Editor is not loading my editor_setup.xml in the source folder...
    LaunchGame does not start the mod...

You can't now even unpublish anything, or delete mod entrys in the launch pad.
    Even if I create a whole new mod, publish that, just .modfile in my workshop folder.

So I can'd debug, can't map with my new entities, can't publish, so I'm out till this is working ...
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2013
    JimWest wrote: »
    So wtf is this ????
    Tried to republis my laser mines for test and only a .modinfo file is now on workshop when suscribing to it.

Seems like the bad LaunchPad is now even more worse ...

Editor is not loading my editor_setup.xml in the source folder...
    LaunchGame does not start the mod...

You can't now even unpublish anything, or delete mod entrys in the launch pad.
    Even if I create a whole new mod, publish that, just .modfile in my workshop folder.

So I can'd debug, can't map with my new entities, can't publish, so I'm out till this is working ...
    The solution to this is, open any steam game and leave it open with the overlay on, try to publish, then check the steam overlay again, you should have a message telling you to accept the new EULA, after you do that it will work again.

Intuitive, right? :D

Edit: Actually, are you using Builder -> Build? That should copy/create the files in the output folder which is what gets published to the workshop...
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Builder tells me all the time all files skipped.
    I copied all files to output manually and its now working, BUT.

Decoda not, when i start debugging decoda will load Combat, cause it was my last
    mod in the old builder. How to load other mods there?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Great job at summing up all this!

I'm sure everybody would have figured out that launchpad restart to get old ids working and how to publish simple cosmetics like crosshairs on their own... but giving credit would have been nice.

edit: ofc its not hard to figure out, or an scientific discovery - its the reddit upvote greed consuming our souls, just that its called awesomes here :P
    edited April 2013
    Koruyo wrote: »

I'm sure everybody would have figured out that launchpad restart to get old ids working and how to publish simple cosmetics like crosshairs on their own... but giving credit would have been nice.
    If we're calling dibs to the solution I posted it a whole 12 hours earlier than your post. Not very hard to figure out, really. Also this thread was created and edited earlier than your post too (AM, not PM). Not that it matters because this is not a scientific discovery or anything, but still.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Koruyo wrote: »

If we're calling dibs to the solution I posted it a whole 12 hours earlier than your post. Not very hard to figure out, really.

I guess since you two are being silly and arguing about it. Frankly, I posted right before you mensap (>:3) in that same thread :P apparently you didn't even read where I said to close Launchpad :P so both of you are being silly :P
    It's edited, you could have added it later, I want my money, I AM THE CREATOR OF THE FIX.
    It's edited, you could have added it later, I want my money, I AM THE CREATOR OF THE FIX.

Says the guy who's post is edited too. >:3

Says the guy who's post is edited too. >:3
    But just the tip. To see how it feels.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I actually found the fix before all of you. I posted it when the UWE boards went down several years ago so it got lost.
    edited April 2013
    current1y wrote: »
    I actually found the fix before all of you. I posted it when the UWE boards went down several years ago so it got lost.

I would like to bring it to the attention of the community that current1y can't even publish his own crosshair mod. *snicker* <3
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    WTF. where is this fukin new EULA. cant find the accept link-
  • ChopsChops UW Technical Artist (and Store Guy) Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68373Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for pointing this out. I was not aware that launchpad needed to be closed in order to prevent publishing a new separate mod. I'll add an annotation to my video
    The accept button didnt exist, where can i find it? Thank you steam, thank you
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    current1y wrote: »

I would like to bring it to the attention of the community that current1y can't even publish his own crosshair mod. *snicker* <3

Lol Flux +1 haha!
    Ok, i tried everything but cant upload an existent or an new mod. Steam tell me i have to press the "submit" or "accept" buttons for the eula but i dindnt found them after 2 hrs of searching.
    I tried every combination, search the steam-forum, nothing.

In my opinion 246 hurts the modscene more than it helps.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    dePARA wrote: »
    In my opinion 246 hurts the modscene more than it helps.

But... but... modjam... new mods... who cares if every mod made so far is FUBAR!
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members

Decoda not, when i start debugging decoda will load Combat, cause it was my last
    @JimWest you should be able to run the standalone Decoda with the right parameters (-game "NS2Combat/output"). I haven't tried it myself since the new patch though...
    Well, thats a JOKE, really.

You have to start another Steamgame like Team Fortress for example to get access to the steamoverlay.
    After pressing "publish" in the launchpad it says "Publish was successfull!!" after 1 second, but the only thing i published is the .modinfo file.

Ok, pressing publish again, switch to Team Fortress and after open Steamoverlay it says:
    legalagreement.jpg

So I click VIEW to open the workshopitem.
    But there is NO option to accept.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/workshoplegalagreement
    Where are these buttons?

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshopsubmitinfo/
    "By submitting an item to the Steam Workshop or accepting a revenue allocation for an item, you agree to the Legal Agreement."

Submitting, COOL
    wait
    well, WTF

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer

Are you running Editor/Decoda from Launchpad?
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    dePARA wrote: »
    Well, thats a JOKE, really.

You have to start another Steamgame like Team Fortress for example to get access to the steamoverlay.
    After pressing "publish" in the launchpad it says "Publish was successfull!!" after 1 second, but the only thing i published is the .modinfo file.

Ok, pressing publish again, switch to Team Fortress and after open Steamoverlay it says:
    legalagreement.jpg

So I click VIEW to open the workshopitem.
    But there is NO option to accept.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/workshoplegalagreement
    Where are these buttons?

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshopsubmitinfo/
    "By submitting an item to the Steam Workshop or accepting a revenue allocation for an item, you agree to the Legal Agreement."

Submitting, COOL
    wait
    well, WTF
    I am not sure why you are seeing this, but it is not something I have ever seen before or something we setup. Why are you trying to access the Steam overlay as part of the publishing process?

Did you build your mod before publishing it? If it said it was successful and published a .modinfo file but nothing else, it sounds like that is the problem, and perhaps this stuff with the EULA is a red herring.

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    I get the same error with the EULA, if I dont have a game running with the steamoverlay turned on (shift+tab), any publish I attempt will fail with error code 16.

If i have a game running so that prompt is displayed, the publish succeeds (I dont even need to click on anything). When I do attempt to click on the View item button, it just displays the workshop page for the mod I am publishing.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Whoops... I'm very sorry then @Flux :P!
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had the same error just before the launch of this patch, even using the old launchpad.

I had to fix it using the process dePARA describes.

But that's all you have to do, although you don't accept anything it does resolve the issue of updating the mod afterwards if you know to go through that process. It made no sense though and I spent 4 hours figuratively tearing my hair out trying to figure out what was going on before someone suggested I do that.