SC 1 Ability of Map creation

MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
If anyone has made a map in StarCraft 1 you will understand my pain for NS2. I want to make this a thing, the maps are made from top down anyways, You could make major rooms simple, have the entrances as middle placements so long esclators and small level of stairs are made. Have textures placed randomly and this will make many new maps made. We're looking for quantity not quality!

Comments

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Montyp wrote: »
    We're looking for quantity not quality!

I think you will find this opinion to not be very popular here.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    DarkSeraph wrote: »

Except for combat maps...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I'll be the first to mention it. I don't want a ton of bad maps out there. I don't think they need to be as quality as decent, docking, or refinery though. Those maps are pretty, and I enjoy it, but it is not necessary.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    I'm more of a quantity over quality guy myself.
    ScardyBob wrote: »

This is a shitty generalization - crappy combat maps do not get much play over the long run. There are a lot of combat maps getting no play now, but part of the problem is the lack of quality maps. Some servers in order to keep play fresh add new maps to the rotation despite their playability. The exception to that are fun maps like spacejump which are intentionally lacking quality visuals for the sake of game play, though they should never be in rotation in my opinion (unless 'fun map' server).

Some of the early non-official combat maps were very basic geometry and bases - which you've likely never played for a reason, but is what you would get with top down mapping.
    draktok wrote: »
    I'm more of a quantity over quality guy myself.

At the cost of vertical detail which is so crucial to normal gameplay? "textures placed randomly" - seriously? I've seen maps like this, they don't get played multiple times.
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    I like the comparison between sc1 and ns2. They are indeed very similar games! you know, like a tricycle and a space ship!
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Well after making it you could still go back in and add better textures and make everything look nice. Something like this would be great for speeding up prototyping of map layouts.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Well after making it you could still go back in and add better textures and make everything look nice. Something like this would be great for speeding up prototyping of map layouts.
    Isn't that what greyboxing is for though :P
    ZEROibis wrote: »

In reality grayboxing a map is pretty easy - especially when you ignore any vertical change or depth of rooms. If you're serious about it just use the rectangle and line tool, sketch the layout and keep geo clean (welding vertices and removing extraneous lines separating 'rooms'), and extrude them all at once - poof a graybox completely lacking vertical variance.

I still think completely ignoring an axis will only create more long term work.

Creating SC1 maps is what got me into mapping in the first place, but I just don't think this is the right approach for NS.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ScardyBob wrote: »

This is a shitty generalization - crappy combat maps do not get much play over the long run.
    co_minifridge

Granted, ns2_honorguard also exists and was played in the custom map cup (though not since). Its simply much easier to make a combat map than NS2 map, so there typically is a trend towards 'quantity over quality'.
    But... the space ship?
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    edited May 2013
    What I'm looking for is a better interface for map creation, if we can make it into a drag-drop rescale environment I think it may bring in a bigger community.

Only quality maps will be vetted, and therefore played, if you wanted to do small tweaks afterwards we can use the existing tools. I'm not saying just 1 layer maps. Being able to build additional layers into rooms shouldn't be too difficult. As it is right now the majority if maps consist of 1-2 layers per room.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    Commander mode dictates that for the most part, level over level areas get in the way of supporting your marines with ammo/meds/nano, so it should be kept to a minimum.

I'm sure you could have some kind of layer system implemented in the commander interface. But my guess is the general consensus on that is, to avoid due to adding an unnecessary part, which mostly gets in the way of gameplay. Not even mentioning that it would make map balancing take even more work and as such even harder than it already is.
    What I'm looking for is a better interface for map creation, if we can make it into a drag-drop rescale environment I think it may bring in a bigger community.

Only quality maps will be vetted, and therefore played, if you wanted to do small tweaks afterwards we can use the existing tools. I'm not saying just 1 layer maps. Being able to build additional layers into rooms shouldn't be too*censored*@gmail.com difficult. As it is right now the majority if maps consist of 1-2 layers per room.

Did you accidentally paste that email in there? :)
    I will say that a method to more quickly make large scale map geometry in spark would be greatly appreciated.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds like you're asking for something similar to what Portal 2 has with the "Perpetual Testing Initiative".