DDOSS - Effecting all high ranked public servers.

waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
I can see it happening, just like it did in NS1.

All high ranked servers are getting attacked constantly right now.

Ddoss is going to kill NS2, just like it did in NS1

Sucks...

Comments

• Julz2kJulz2k Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183026Members
    Even when Gameservers getting ddoses, aslong you don't run your own root server, the Hoster is responsible for solving ddos attacks.
    He can do this with Null routing and blocking the server for 30 min, 6h, 12h or even longer.
    Other Hosters like IP Projects (Germany) using service from Accelerated so Null routed is done before the traffic arrives the Network from IP Projects.

When you host your own server, a dedicated 1Gbit port and unlimited traffic (look at ddos politics from the provider) should be enough to limit the lenght of ddos attacks.
    Never seen a Ddos longer than 30-90min for myself on a 1Gbit port.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    DDoS attacks happen to every game. If it hasn't killed literally every other multiplayer game, it's not going to kill NS2. Not that there's really anything the developers can do about DDoS attacks.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    devicenull wrote: »
    DDoS attacks happen to every game. If it hasn't killed literally every other multiplayer game, it's not going to kill NS2. Not that there's really anything the developers can do about DDoS attacks.
    This.

The only thing that UWE can do is if the person doing the DDoS attack is using some sort of spark engine or NS2 exploit to cause the DDoS. If you see this happen, let us know otherwise just have to wait.
  • waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
    I just know its impossible to start and run a NS1 server without it being attacked every 2 hours.

I dont want this to happen to NS2.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    waflz wrote: »
    I just know its impossible to start and run a NS1 server without it being attacked every 2 hours.

I wonder how they do then : D

• despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
    SO that's why servers that were usually never lagging have been lagging constantly this past week?
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    waflz wrote: »

What exactly would you propose anyone do about it?