Quick questions & answers

Apocalypse DudeApocalypse Dude Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63208Members
edited March 2013 in Mapping
I thought that the mapping forum needs a thread dedicated to asking and answering anything related to mapping. As a newbie mapper there's huge amount of questions popping to my mind, and sometimes I find it hard to find information from the existing threads. Also sometimes it's hard to look for them, as the questions might get "buried" in threads. I hope that this stays as clean as possible: Always quote the question you are answering to avoid confusion.

- When I open some of the official maps, Summit for example, I notice that most of the indoor areas are invisible until you turn "show triangulation" on. Why is this? How are those triangulation areas actually created?
- Are the mapping guidelines (found in NS2 folder) still valid?

Comments

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    1. That's because those areas are in layers which are turned off. Open the layers window and turn layers on by clicking the little eye icons on the left hand side.
    2. I haven't looked at them in a long time, but I'm pretty sure they are likely to be out of date by this point.
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    Yeh its a good idea to have a look at the layers as Insane said
    If you dont have it on its either Window -> Layers or just press F7 (Default)

Get an idea of the layers mappers use and/or make up some of you own so you can put them in soon as you start making your map, This keeps everything organised and it means you can hide the areas of your map you are not working on so they don't interfere with your 2D views, and makes it much easier to make GEO around props etc

• PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    Another new mapper here. I have a couple questions I didn't know the best place to ask. So here goes.

1. The grid reorients from vertical-horizontal to diagonal when I try to draw lines on a face made by the circle tool. Is this a glitch or feature? Because simply drawing a line to the center of a circle is impossible. My workaround is using the square tool instead, and extracting the needed faces. But it would be much faster, simpler, cleaner if the line tool worked predictably.

2. Merge vertices doesn't seem to work consistently, but lerking the forums I see vertex merge has been a known issue. I'm just curious if anyone knows a reliable workaround, or can teach me a reliable workflow that will keep my maps as clean as possible. So far I've resorted to measuring the space I need to fill, creating the geometry off to the side, then moving it into place and hoping my measurements were all correct. But that leaves me with pretty much nothing connected and lots of redundancy in lines/vertices. Is that going to be a problem for my map's performance?

3. Almost all the information in the stickied thread "NS2 Mapping - Guides and Resources" is out of date. There are only two tutorials on youtube, both are introductions that don't go into any details beyond how to create simple geometry and add a light. The official guide is way way out of date. The Wiki is pretty barren (especially in the entities list). The question is, is there anything else to read/watch that I haven't found?

I used to make maps in Hammer for TF2 and L4D, and maybe I'm just spoiled by the wealth of info out there for an engine that's been used for such a long time. How did you all learn to map for NS2?
    Pandademic wrote: »
    3. Almost all the information in the stickied thread "NS2 Mapping - Guides and Resources" is out of date. There are only two tutorials on youtube, both are introductions that don't go into any details beyond how to create simple geometry and add a light. The official guide is way way out of date. The Wiki is pretty barren (especially in the entities list). The question is, is there anything else to read/watch that I haven't found?

Yes, I feel a bit in the same boat really, looks like there used to be a series of videos over at Guide to the Spark editor, but they have not been uploaded again since own3d went down.
    I feel like I'm missing some workflow practices and being very inefficient about certain things.
    I've tried to watch some streams of people mapping, which is really great for getting ideas and seeing how people bring a roof to life, but all the streams are at a fairly late stage in the map, there is non from the beginning with a flow of how to get started.

We could really do with some more guides and best practice ideas.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited March 2013
    Theres is a thread linked in pinned topic "NS2 Mapping - Guides and Resources" - "[Spark Editor] Where do I begin?"

It is sort of FAQ. I support the idea to revieve this thread and use it to collect all the questions and answers.

Edit: Pandemic - I have answered you questions in aforementioned FAQ topic
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Another new mapper here. I have a couple questions I didn't know the best place to ask. So here goes.

1. The grid reorients from vertical-horizontal to diagonal when I try to draw lines on a face made by the circle tool. Is this a glitch or feature? Because simply drawing a line to the center of a circle is impossible. My workaround is using the square tool instead, and extracting the needed faces. But it would be much faster, simpler, cleaner if the line tool worked predictably.

2. Merge vertices doesn't seem to work consistently, but lerking the forums I see vertex merge has been a known issue. I'm just curious if anyone knows a reliable workaround, or can teach me a reliable workflow that will keep my maps as clean as possible. So far I've resorted to measuring the space I need to fill, creating the geometry off to the side, then moving it into place and hoping my measurements were all correct. But that leaves me with pretty much nothing connected and lots of redundancy in lines/vertices. Is that going to be a problem for my map's performance?

I used to make maps in Hammer for TF2 and L4D, and maybe I'm just spoiled by the wealth of info out there for an engine that's been used for such a long time. How did you all learn to map for NS2?

Are you talking about vertex merging or vertex welding?
  • Apocalypse DudeApocalypse Dude Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63208Members
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    Theres is a thread linked in pinned topic "NS2 Mapping - Guides and Resources" - "[Spark Editor] Where do I begin?"

It is sort of FAQ. I support the idea to revieve this thread and use it to collect all the questions and answers.

Edit: Pandemic - I have answered you questions in aforementioned FAQ topic

Sounds good. I further suggest: pin the FAQ?
    @SteveRock I was using the terms synonymously. In fact I'm only aware of a weld command in the editor, so if merging is a distinct action from welding I don't know the difference or how to do it.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    @Pandademic: Could you make a video or send me a .level file illustrating when it doesn't work as you'd expect? It really should.
    @SteveRock I was using the terms synonymously. In fact I'm only aware of a weld command in the editor, so if merging is a distinct action from welding I don't know the difference or how to do it.

There are two ways of welding - you can weld all the selected vertexes, but only the near ones (<< 1 unit apart)

or

you can weld all the selected in one vertex regardless their distance

If there are some redudant lines or vertexes, you can hide all the geometry in any layer and they will stay unhidden and you can delete them. Steve has worked on the geometry merging recently and the situation is now way better than it was before.

@SteveRock Here's a video example of the oddness I experienced. Sorry for the whacky colors - youtube tried to enhance it, I think.

edited March 2013
    I made this mistake a lot before I figured it out.
    You can only weld when you have the select tool(Space) Selected not any of the other tools.
    You had the move tool selected so you couldn't weld.
    Its the same with Make Face (Alt+C)
    You can confirm this by opening the edit menu and seeing what options are available.
    edited March 2013
    QwiXXeR wrote: »
    I made this mistake a lot before I figured it out.
    You can only weld when you have the select tool(Space) Selected not any of the other tools.
    You had the move tool selected so you couldn't weld.
    Its the same with Make Face (Alt+C)
    You can confirm this by opening the edit menu and seeing what options are available.

Ah glad that's cleared up :)

@Pandademic Also, the meaning of the "weld" command is to take ALL selected vertices and weld them into 1 vertex. So to fix that curve+square, select the two vertices that overlap, hit Space to go into Select Tool, then do ctrl+w(or whatever the hot key is).

I agree, this is a major UI-fail, and next time I take a pass on the editor I'll fix it (game performance is current top priority!)
    I think all the edit functions (new face, weld etc) should be available in all modes not only in Edit mode. It is anoying as hell :(
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    At least you just need to hit space and you're good :p@SteveRock I would like a word on the bishop grid. Does it have an intention/use? Could we have a way to disable the bishop gird or is this a bug?

Oh, that explains it. Thanks for the help guys. You're saints for holding our hands while we learn to walk.
    @Evil_bOb1 eh what's the bishop grid? :P
    :p Like on the first ten seconds of Pandademic's video, you'll see the grid rotate. It often happens when you have faces that don't have orthogonal edges. Because of this you can't draw vertices correctly on the grid.
  • Mr MoeMr Moe Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69696Members
    edited March 2013
    Hi there, did it work for you with welding in selection-mode? I think the problem might be that the circle part and the square aren't coplanar as well.. encountered this very often when I created two different parts that aren't welded from the beginning, or is it fixed today? Haven't been mapping for a few days.
    edited March 2013
    Yes, it resolved a lot of frustrations I was having. Most if not all of the editing tools (like create face and weld vertices) only work while using selection.

Another thing to be mindful of are the selection filters (vertex, line, face, prop, entity, light - found near bottom right of screen). If you're filtering out vertices you won't be able to weld them.
    What is this error?

"Overriding map's pathing_settings.option_tile_size from 48 to 36"

edited March 2013
    Its a value correction of entity pathing_settings, you can change this to 36 directly in Spark and get rid of it.
    I like to think that that value comes from turtle. At the time they released the new pathing system I noticed a tile of 48 was not good for me. The pathing mesh would superimpose on the geometry. Especially as the center of the map is the point (0,0,0), and I use typical hammer dimensions. The problem with this was edge vertices of the pathing mesh would not be created when they fell on the geometry, and I lost a lot of pathing space. Using a tile of 36 ensured that the pathing mesh would not align on the geometry so often. The two meshes act like two voices of a long poly-rhythm. The choice of 36 as a number is somewhat esoteric and has no connection with typical hammer inch values. You could use a prime number like 37 or 31 and ensure the same effect, better even considering the less chances of alignment with geometry, but an unnecessary refinement. And so I like to believe, since I've seen that error message, that UWE followed me on that one, recognizing that magic value for the tile mesh.

Music is the greatest teacher. As in music, so in life mapping.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Anyone know how to make entities invisible to the commander? I am using these waterfall entities and they are annoying when they show up on the commander ui. Adding them to commander invis didn't fix this.
    Also does weld near vertices work for anyone? Only weld selected vertices is working for me at the moment
    xtcmen wrote: »
    Anyone know how to make entities invisible to the commander? I am using these waterfall entities and they are annoying when they show up on the commander ui. Adding them to commander invis didn't fix this.

Err if the entity does not have commander alpha parameter then it is not possible to hide it :-/
    Also does weld near vertices work for anyone? Only weld selected vertices is working for me at the moment

Welding works only when in select mode :)

Rudy.cz wrote: »

Err if the entity does not have commander alpha parameter then it is not possible to hide it :-/

Welding works only when in select mode :)

Thanks for the quick response Rudy. Looks like my OCD may make me get rid of the waterfalls. They are simply too ugly from the commander view.

edited April 2013
    Long shot, but might as well ask: Is there any way to flip one of the editor views 180 degrees? Either the top or side view, so that the top and side perspectives align.

If my question isn't clear, have a look at this screenshot. That's the same onos in each of the editor views, but look how the top and side views have the onos facing opposite directions. It would be much more intuitive if they faced the same way, so that when I move something to the right in the top view, it moves to the right in the side view, and vice verse.

jKErtef.png?1

(As is, I find myself using the perspective view instead of the side view when making edits from the top, or using perspective instead of the top view when making edits from the side. And so every time I switch between editing in the top or side views, I have to move my perspective view accordingly.)