Descent is fun

Mad selectionMad selection Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 176967Members
So many peoples bitching about this map while I think it's simply different then the others. Not the best choice for competitive play maybe I can't really say I'm no pro but it is still a welcoming change.

Also I wonder why nobody take the time to use the vent next to hydro that lead to launch to kill upgrades and even cyst chain. They will die for 10 minutes in gravity control trying to make it to the other side but they won't use the vent. Weird.

Comments

• PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    I think because it's the newest map... Not because it's a bad designed map. All new things get the most focus and is bad. Give it time and people get used to it.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like it, but fabrication and monorail both feel like pipeline... A bit of tweaking here and there and it can be awesome, I think.

And of course, it looks amazing!
  • StoneburgStoneburg Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8174Members
    I like it a lot and on the server I play on it is one of the maps that is most commonly requested.

The other day I spent some time in Water Treatment while waiting for the game to start, what a great room that is. I hope there will be some map tweaks in the future making the room more relevant to the map, as is I find there is almost never any action there.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Stoneburg wrote: »
    I like it a lot and on the server I play on it is one of the maps that is most commonly requested.
    Please tell me what server that is so I never join it by accident.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's my favorite, for now at least. The new art is very refreshing.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    Descent is by far my favorite map with the most dynamic gameplay (at least for aliens). My only problem with it is the bug causing ARCs to deal half damage if fired from next to the shuttle in Launch Control (is that fixed?). I'm not quite sure why people seem to dislike it, but I don't usually have a problem getting people to vote for it.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Monorail and fabrication spawns are both pretty bad. Other than that it's okay
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Aesthetic wise yes it is fantastic. Biodome looks like a good addition from what I can see in concept art and that last SS. I just hope discovery makes it in after biodome and we'll have some good variety asset wise.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love Descent, but there are some issues with Fabrication as a starting point - I think a lot of that has to do with energy flow RT placement. Also, the vents (except the hydro ones) need some help.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    There are changes in the works to address the Fabrication issues.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Timarius wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why people seem to dislike it
    Apr 02 14:33:37 <+snb> i can't imagine how hard scouting must be on descent in actual matches
    Apr 02 14:34:25 <+Scant> there are also some weird and completely pointless rooms
    Apr 02 14:34:49 <+snb> that describes about 50% of the map
    Apr 02 14:35:31 <+snb> it's way too complicated
    Apr 02 14:35:38 <+snb> and not in a good way
    Apr 02 14:36:19 <+snb> nobody would ever build something like that, architecturally or aesthetically

Apr 11 19:11:00 <+snb> descent is killing ns2
    Apr 11 19:12:05 <+snb> new people want to play it because it's pretty and they end up thinking the game is bad or imbalanced because the map plays like shit
    Apr 11 19:12:47 <+Nade> its a like of summit :DDD must be good
    Apr 11 19:12:50 <+snb> and 'vets' leave when it comes on
    Apr 11 19:13:25 <+snb> it's the very opposite of summit
    Apr 11 19:13:50 <+snb> cramped rooms strung together without any sense

Apr 13 15:57:29 <+Stormy`> still didn't get an answer as to why exactly the map is that bad, other that it doesn't flow well
    Apr 13 15:58:47 <+snb> it has a terrible layout and terribly unfitting architecture
    Apr 13 15:59:12 <+snb> it's a bunch of rooms seemingly randomly placed
    Apr 13 16:00:01 <+snb> it's virtually impossible to play fade on it because there's staircases and tons of obstructions and low ceilings
    Apr 13 16:00:25 <+snb> the tech point designs are bad
    Apr 13 16:00:46 <+snb> everything directly surrounding the tech points is awful
    Apr 13 16:00:54 <+snb> e.g. silo
    Apr 13 16:02:39 <+snb> lots of rooms are either unnecessary as a whole or have an unnecessary design
    Apr 13 16:02:48 <+snb> e.g. water treatment or whatever it's called
    Apr 13 16:03:20 <+snb> which is a GIANT room with virtually no function
    Apr 13 16:03:24 <+snb> gameplay wise

Apr 17 20:58:16 <+snb> there is literally no reason to ever even enter water treatment let alone build in it or anything
    Apr 17 20:58:25 <+snb> and it's so huge that it's like 20% of the map's size
    Apr 17 20:59:02 <+snb> there is absolutely no reason for the top floor in plaza
    Apr 17 20:59:46 <+snb> and no one would ever design anything like anything on the map ever, architecturally
    Apr 17 21:00:00 <+snb> it makes no sense and it's a terrible layout for gameplay as well
    Apr 17 21:00:11 <+snb> now please shut up about it before i burst into flames

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I saw plenty wins on both teams in descent in games which lasted a good time.
    That would never happen if the map was horribly balanced for one side.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Gotta love it when someone thinks they're a pro map designer and think everything is crap, saying the sky is falling (descent is not killing ns2?? lol) and giving arguments that are "begging the question"... Sigh so dramatic. :-P

So when someone calls a film out for being bad they're a "pro filmmaker"?

Personally I don't mind descent, yeah there are a lot of unused spaces but at least it's not bloody mineshaft.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    ...giant wall of angry text...

Oh my goodness the melodrama and vein popping anger is off the charts! Someone call an ambulance!

Meanwhile, I shall immediately have the fun police deployed to all NS2 servers. They will arrest anyone that dares have fun on a map that a certain subset of players deems unfit for their particular play priorities.

Sentencing after arrest will of course be death. Because we can't let people have fun on a map that is 'killing NS2'!!!

• FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    its hard to consider descent as a map fit for 6v6, so many pathways, so much distance.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Timarius wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why people seem to dislike it
    Apr 11 19:11:00 <+snb> descent is killing ns2

Hey there Chicken Little, finally got bored of yelling about the sky?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I lolled.
    I do not think descent is bad. You need to try different tactics then normal, but thats half the fun.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Descent is fun, if I had any graphics setting at something other than off it would probably rate as one of the most beautiful maps ever. Reminds me of UT2K4, just that 'oh, they made something that looks like that' factor.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    GodComm wrote: »
    This is hands down one of the worst maps ever made in the ns universe. The lighting sucks. This map needs to be auto deleted from the map rotation.
    Stop trolling, you just joined the forums and started with some questionable posts... Let this be warning number, well number one I guess...

[edit]
    And yes Descent is fun and looks sexy, apart from some spawns being a bit biased vs the team starting there <-- being worked on though :P
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    I'm sure it's a nice map and all, but me personally I do not like it; it feels like too much distance to travel to key rooms, an over extension and you've pretty much lost on either side, also a lot of the rooms feel really clustered and very tight hallways/corridors

Anyway, better then just flat out saying, "I think this map is crap" it's not crap, I just don't enjoy playing on it compared to the other maps
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    *snip*

*You can take that elsewhere. -Ironhorse *

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    *snip*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive-aggressive_behavior

If hugh has a problem with me calling him on his passive aggressive bullshit, why don't you let him deal with it instead of editing my post before he even sees it? He wants to come on the forums and talk shit to paying customers for voicing their opinion, but I can't call him on it? The post that he was referring to may have been negative, but very little of it was wrong.

Insane's post was passive aggressive too but it was also hilarious, so it gets a pass xD

*edit* lol, i like the angry traffic cone that you sent me iron horse. It was pretty cute.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    @ritualsacrifice

Either find a more tactful approach or cease posting.

If you want to continue talking about your issue, do so through PMs

edit: :-D I thought you'd appreciate that cone.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    *snip*

*edit* lol, i like the angry traffic cone that you sent me iron horse. It was pretty cute.

OMFG, almost lost my drink because of that one. Good stuff, cannot be unseen either :D
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Hugh wrote: »
    ...giant wall of angry text...

Oh my goodness the melodrama and vein popping anger is off the charts! Someone call an ambulance!

I think you mean the wambulance.

• pnb84pnb84 The house on paper street Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183262Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Some people in my experience bitch and whine about absolutely everything that doesnt go their way. Pretty pathetic.
    edited April 2013
    pnb84 wrote: »
    Some people in my experience bitch and whine about absolutely everything that doesnt go their way. Pretty pathetic.

I haven't seen anyone whining because they didn't get their way... At least not in regards to Descent. The vast majority of complaints are based on in-game experience. I've yet to see anyone be able to explain the purpose of the water treatment room. Or club. They're both huge parts of the map that essentially have no purpose/reason to exist. For the most part, descent could look like this and it would play the same:

103elfm.jpg

Then if you look at that picture, you start to realize how silly a lot of the map design is. Think about what Summit would be like if there was just a huge dead zone separating data core from the rest of the map.
This discussion has been closed.