Join Combat: The trailer that needs you! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    Is there no server demo support in NS2? At that point, it wouldnt matter what quality the user is running, you could just crank the graphics to full and record the gameplay.
  • Soli Deo GloriaSoli Deo Gloria Join Date: 2009-06-25 Member: 67926Members
    Hugh wrote: »
    No mention of a constant graphics quality setting for everyone? This whole thing is gonna look messy when one clip has low and the next one has maxed out graphics etc.

Good point!! How could I forget. I will add this too the post - All clips must be recorded with graphics cranked to maximum, except AO which may be set to medium rather than high.

This seems like an impossible task for most players. It's a shame that the in game demo recording isn't more robust. Then anyone could record footage and have someone with a ridiculous rig replay it with all the eye candy enabled.
  • naXynaXy Join Date: 2008-07-12 Member: 64618Members
    all you'll get will be average/bad plays with these requirements, 25Kkbps is also ridiculous and unnecessary
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    This seems like an impossible task for most players. It's a shame that the in game demo recording isn't more robust. Then anyone could record footage and have someone with a ridiculous rig replay it with all the eye candy enabled.

That would be perfect. Don't even need to request players to record their stuff, upload videos and such. Simply request the demos from the server owners and do whatever you want with them. It might be a good idea to point out when and where the best frags happened. You could even get multiple takes on the frag, including first- and third-person and free cameras.

But then, server-side demorec does not exist in NS2 (yet... hopefully).
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    naXy wrote: »
    25Kkbps is also ridiculous and unnecessary
    It's really not. Compressing something more than once is always a huge quality loss. I'd also suggest people use x264 instead of the default MainConcept h264 codec.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The ability to demo record would be nice. Only other option I can think of is having someone who has a powerful rig (but not so powerful skill) spectate and record your gameplay. Would also enable them to turn off the HUD without effecting the gameplay.

On that point, would you want all footage to be recorded with the HUD on or off? I assume you'd want consistency in that regard as well.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Once a proper demo system is released, with no time scaling relative to fps, and the ability to track skip, NS2 will get a lot better videos...
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    NO one plays with everything maxed

I'm sure you meant to say "No one important."
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For people looking to do this with minimal CPU impact and for free, I'd suggest the following:
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    This seems like an impossible task for most players.

It's probably a stretch for a great many players - This is a request for trailer clips, not for everyone to play! You should read the paragraph at the bottom of this post, and then tell us if your opinion is changed!
    naXy wrote: »
    25Kkbps is also ridiculous and unnecessary

It is barely adequate :S - I'm not sure what success you might have had applying effects like pixel-motion-predicted slow motion to compressed footage? Or avoiding close colour block artifacts on second compression passes? If you have I would very much appreciate you sharing it. It would make trailer creation significantly easier! No doubt many people in video production across many industries would want to hear about your successes as well!
    I'd also suggest people use x264 instead of the default MainConcept h264 codec.

Ahh my apologies I did not mean to specify a specific x264 implementation. Of course x264 is also workable! :)
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    Max graphics quality + video recording - video capture card = very hard to guarantee 30 fps in intense combat, even with a very powerful rig.

Yes it is hard. Not many people can do it - And unfortunately trailer creation is time-consuming and hard. Hence asking people to help!
    NO one plays with everything maxed, to market it as such would be wrong.

You appear to have access to data that UWE doesn't even collect with Sponitor. I can only assume this to be the case, otherwise you would be dropping negative, disingenuous and discouraging comments throughout a thread dedicated to the support of a community created mod. That would be upsetting.
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    I really don't feel like playing at 50-ish fps when there's more than three other players in my vicinity. Even at the lowest settings there were moments where my framerate dropped to 40.

No one is forcing you to participate. However, if you are so averse to creating high quality footage at a production bound frame-rate, why bother offering your help and then withdrawing it? Trailer creation is often not particularly fun. It involves sacrifices in play. If you are not willing to make those sacrifices, that's fine, it's your choice. But why on Earth do you think people who are willing to help want to hear about all the reasons you won't?

Most of the posts in this thread since my one about graphics seem to be 'Oh... Well recording gameplay with graphics on high is really difficult!' - Yes, it is. Hence the request for help. If you can't help, that's a bummer. But don't make posts discouraging those that can. It is not helpful, and is truly downright rude when the request is to help a not-for-profit mod-team creating a very enjoyable experience for their fellow players.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to jump in and record some Combat play!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    @Hugh: Do you care if alien vision is enabled or not?

also, what is console command for removing HUD?
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Squishpoke r_gui 0 ('r_gui' will enable it again, 'r_gui 1' will do nothing)

And sorry if we put a sour taste in your mouth Hugh. =(
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's kind of dishonest, NO one plays with everything maxed, to market it as such would be wrong.

I do.

Am a nobody I guess.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    edited April 2013
    To those complaining about the maxed graphics thing: I could happily play ns2 maxed on my 5850, the equivalent to a 5850 costs $150 these days. This is at 1080P too.

In regards to Handbrake: It will DARKEN THE FOOTAGE, this may be different now, but footage recorded with fraps and encoded to H.264 using handbrake will stuff up the contrast of the video. I recommend using the latest version of windows live movie maker, which supports h.264 these days (no more wmv grain) and doesn't darken the footage last I checked.

Oh and, Since I seem to be one of the nobodies who has a computer that can run the game maxed (Can I keep AO off? I really don't like even a hint of input lag), I guess I'll record some footage for the trailer, although I personally don't even play Combat. Wish me luck everybody.

Oh and, Adobe Premiere is AWESOME.

Update: I just remembered I wrote a tutorial on using MeGUI and AVIsynth scripts to encode practically perfect video, here's the link to the website with the tutorial. Sorry about the unfinished ness, but you should be able to get to the stage of putting in the final encode settings, just plug in the stuff specified in the requirements listed by Hugh, and you'll be good to go.

https://sites.google.com/site/greenpurestudiostutorials/tutorials/recording-editing-and-encoding-pc-game-footage-fraps Don't freak out about the scripting, I give you exactly what you need to type in and step by step how to do it.
    AVIsynth may just be the best thing man has ever made, thanks for the link.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't you just record a demo and then change the graphics options when you run the demo through Fraps later?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Nothing exciting, but somebody needs to get this stuff rolling i guess...
    Less talking, more uploading!

PS: Do i really need to keep on playing at 720p? Isnt it good enough to set the recording resolution to it? 720p is kinda weird if you are used to play at 1080p.
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Can't you just record a demo and then change the graphics options when you run the demo through Fraps later?

No, when you record your fps will drop a bit, and if the demo isn't played back 1:1 at the same fps it was recorded at it slows down (or speeds up if you're getting MORE fps).
    Koruyo wrote: »
    PS: Do i really need to keep on playing at 720p? Isnt it good enough to set the recording resolution to it? 720p is kinda weird if you are used to play at 1080p.

Record at 1080 and then encode at 720p.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »

No, when you record your fps will drop a bit, and if the demo isn't played back 1:1 at the same fps it was recorded at it slows down (or speeds up if you're getting MORE fps).
    Koruyo wrote: »

Record at 1080 and then encode at 720p.
    Or use OBS and have it downscale to 720p when recording.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    edited April 2013
    To the ones complaining about Max quality I don't get it, if your computer can run NS2 setup to the max in 1920x1080 why it can't run it with recording on 1280x720 like asked " That is shorthand for saying your resolution must be set to 1280 x 720".
    For the ones that can't buy a computer that can run NS2 you are not so many, most the players from the NS2 community are here since NS1 that they started to play on in their teen years or older so they can afford their own gaming computer now. And personally I don't understand how someone can enjoy playing a game at the lowest quality.
    Yesterday combat servers were full (thanks to this post) so I'll try to create my own 4 sec video
    Will this song be on the video ? :)
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited April 2013
    I will see if we can get a server going later today to record some footage and do some fun stuff without someone ruining the shot, so keep an eye on this topic for an update on that.

btw if you are not following us on twitter please do https://twitter.com/NS2Combat
    I have just uploaded two Combat wallpapers for those who are interested.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Wow Hugh comes off so douchey in all his answers lol.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited April 2013
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    Frizzlecat wrote: »
    Sounds like an excellent thing, all-round, with some exciting community involvement. Combat sounds a little like the Gun Game mod for Counter-srike? Where you get kills, get points, upgrade your gun, kill even more, get more points, get a grenade launcher, get MOAR kills, then, bizarrely, upgrade all the way to the top, most destructively awesome weapon known to man... the knife. Don't get me wrong, it took balls to get that knife. Balls which you could then cut off someone else.

Ohh man, when you got that knife and then you couldn't get a kill and someone else got it first... that's the worst. But getting that knife kill to win the game... one of the best feelings in all of gaming

Amen, brother... amen.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    PaLaGi wrote: »

I believe this is called projection.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I have a 1920x1200 monitor, and in OBS I'm not sure how to set it up to get suitable recording so that I can downsample to 720p. Can anyone give me a hint about this? Do i just need to record in 720p as a custom config and change in game res so I get those godawful bars (I just hate 16:9 so much, I was SO disappointed that it's the way computer monitors have gone as standard :( ).

Would appreciate any advice... playing in 720p is going to be painful on a 1200 monitor... I guess i could put res to 1080p and record custom in that, then downsample at the encoding stage? Presumably this will be worse quality though?

Cheers in advance!

Roo
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I thought he was actually pretty gracious in his responses. People are throwing accusations at him left and right and what he was saying makes sense.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    @Roobubba play the game in windowed mode.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation

I thought he was actually pretty gracious in his responses. People are throwing accusations at him left and right and what he was saying makes sense.

I guess I don't appreciate the passive aggressive style he uses. It's obvious based on what he is asking for that the performance topic is going to be the logical response, and yet he acts like its the readers fault for bringing it up in the first place and plays the whole "well no one is forcing you to participate" card.