Pyramid concentration of players in the competitive scene

statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
edited April 2013 in Competitive Play
NS2 has a particularly high incidence of having all the best players on the same teams. This is particularly obvious with ARC in EU and Nxzl in NA but also applies to many of the next best teams on both sides of the ocean. However, this post is particularly aimed at the NA scene.

I am making this post as somewhat of a plea for players to try to reduce this behavior. Sometimes it results from teams disbanding and all the players split up among the next best teams, and sometimes its just straight up poaching the best players from lower divs. Nearly everyone who has played in division 1 knows this is the case and has probably either recruited or been recruited in this manner and I am no exception. I am going to suggest that this is hurting, and will eventually kill the competitive scene.

I am not suggesting that current teams should disband as that is just unrealistic and everyone playing at a high level really wants to win and in many cases are friends. However I would say that high level players who find themselves without a team or who are benched consider joining lower level teams, or trying to form new teams rather then just joining the best team available and causing them to have to bench one of their old players.

Although its really fun to be on a super team with a bunch of competent players who work well together, it is not fun either as a player or a spectator, when the outcome of games can be predicted with reasonably high accuracy. This is the case in many matches today.

What I would suggest is for bench/disbanded players from top teams, please considering moving to other teams and share your experience and skill, and the scene will be better for it. You can always still merc with your old teams.

Even after writing this post I don't know if it will have any impact at all because of how strong the incentive is to join the best team you possibly can, but I am truly convinced that the scene will do better if we can work to diffuse the talent a little bit.

Comments

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I don't think this matters and I don't think it even possible to control this trend. It happens in every game and in every situation where competition is involved.

To get better in NS2 (or any game, really), you have have to want to get better. You have to actively dedicate your time to playing people better than you. Nexzil didn't get good by recruiting good players, they just worked harder than every other NA team out there. A good player joining a div2 or div3 team isn't going to encourage these div2 or div3 players to practice. The only thing that can motivate people to get better is themselves.

Similarly, if we distributed all the players from Nexzil over 3-4 div2 teams then you'd still just have 3-4 div2 teams. There's no reason to believe this would fix their attendance problems or increase their desire to lose-to-improve. And there's only so much "experience" a player can share. All the other players will still have to gain that experience by playing -- it's not something that can just be taught.

I do agree that watching and playing is decidedly less fun when you know the outcome of the games, but this is a symptom of a small community and not the player-skill distribution. I don't think individuals, nor the community, can fix this -- it simply requires more players picking up the game.
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    That's the issue with a small community, you get essentially the same players just cycling between teams and forming new teams with the same players.

Of course players quit and new ones enter the scene but its really just a big circle of cycling as teams fold and disperse.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited April 2013
    If you put it all down to attendance and lack of drive to practice, then yes what you say makes sense, but I think its obvious that even when a person has drive when you lose alot you are less likely to have fun, and less likely to want to continue with any given activity.

If you have multiple medium strength teams, more players will have fun playing against each other and then hopefully will want to continue playing and improving and the scene will benefit. Meanwhile if you have a few really strong teams, once you get benched from those teams, or can't make it on to them, you are stuck with few options in terms of teams to move to.

I think that rather then brushing it off as a small scene problem the fact that the scene is small is exactly why this is a problem, in a larger scene there is a much more uniform skill gradient of players so everyone can find matchups which are fun, but in NS there are clearly big steps between teams. Players who get benched from the top teams, don't want to take the big step down, so they just quit or sit on the bench forever. The lower level teams get crushed so hard by the higher level teams that most of them don't have have fun/have no motivation to play against the better teams and mixed with player poaching, they can never really get alot better. You want to play better teams to improve, but not MUCH better teams.

Is there a practical short term solution, no, but its just something I hope top teams/players might think about in the future.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    statik, I have to say my team has learned a LOT by scrimming div 1 teams like KKG, All-In, Nexzil and Godar. Yes, we lost a lot, but we also won each team once (except All-In, which we won twice :P). The first matches ended early as expected. As we learned their tricks we survived longer and longer. Still not enough to beat them though, but we never stopped. We know we're improving, and we still need to improve, and eventually we'll be on par with div 1 teams by doing that. In other words, we have the drive to keep losing and learning from that.

I agree that the concentration of higher skilled players on div 1 teams makes matchups easily predictable, thus boring, but as said before, this is mostly a consequence of having a small player pool. I find it very unlikely for better players to join lower teams; this would feel like a demotion for that player, unless they actually want to do that. Psychology is weird and complex, you know. Besides, the team would most likely start relying on that player instead of learning from them. So, unless that player is joining the team with an intention to coach them, this would hurt more than help.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    I agree with you statik--as a caster, I actually prefer casting Division 2/3 matches because I know there's relatively more parity between the teams there, and it's just more entertaining to watch. But like Gorgeous/Flipper/Striker have said, I do think that this is the inevitable product of a very very small community. I think most everyone is aware of the competitive scene, but is either too busy to get involved in it themselves (i.e. growing the player-pool), or just don't really know how to get involved (gathers, etc.), and would rather just watch the matches and scrims.

And I agree with Gorgeous on his point about motivation. If people did eventually form a team, a lot of them may see it as not worth it to practice 40+ hours a week (if they can even find that many scrims/pcw's) when they know they won't be Nexzil/bklub-level any time soon. With the exception of Nexzil, these D1 teams have enough trouble fielding 6 for a scrim (and even matches) themselves, and I can only imagine how much more difficult it is for lower-division teams. I personally try to contact as many teams as I can and let them know that I'm 100% willing to cast their scrims if I'm ever online, just as extra incentive for them to practice so they can actually watch something back.

But it's simply intimidating to get into this game competitively when you're just starting out, perhaps because of perceived 'elitism' by pro players, but also because of just how much quicker comp games progress compared to pubs. Unfortunately, it's not like CS where you can just hop in #findringer and 80% of the time get offered to join a team if you played reasonably well (and you clearly recognize this in your second post).

It sucks, and I don't see this pattern changing any time soon--but hopefully the formation of HeLix and Waka Waka (the two newest NA teams) is a good sign for the future.

--
    EDIT: Grammar and stuff.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The issue is players that get good by playing tons of NS2 congregate to teams that get good by playing tons of NS2, which leads them to typically becoming the top D1 teams. The only way I see this getting fixed is if finding and organizing 6v6 matchups is made as easy as possible (e.g. an in-game scrim finder/scheduling/confirmation system).
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Another way to increase the number of mid tier clans is to increase the inflow of new competitive players. I think more Proving Grounds tournaments and accessible pugs will help with this.
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    there is more competition than you think out there - its just the divisions are pretty screwed up right now.

both Onslaught and Dysgorge can compete in lower div1, both have taken enough rounds off div 1 teams that its not just luck.

manup and next level could compete in div2, as well as that korean team, but the korean team is korean and the times are crap. Helix could easily be div2 if they found/trained a good strat caller.

Once divisions are fixed the competition will be better. The artificial 6 teams per division thing and the lack of information before the season started screwed it up, but if people have been following the scrims, you'll know there's a lot more talent/teams out there.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I haven't played any competitive but I have watched the scene, and I think it's important to keep in mind that good players don't just decide to play with each other and stomp them. The best players are also the players that work the hardest at improving. Teams like Arc, Godar, Nexzil... these teams didn't just become good by poaching the best players, they became good because they all wanted to work hard and they did. The reason why good players leave lower level teams to join higher level teams is because they are more committed - they want to work harder at the game, and sticking on a Div 2 or 3 team won't give them the same level of commitment as playing on a Div 1 team, where everyone else is just as dedicated as they are.

That's my take on it at least. I could be way off base since I haven't done it, but from what I can tell the best players are the best not because they're just naturally better but because they devote more time to practice.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    this happens in a lot of games, and its effects are worse in the smaller ones. unfortunately there's no equivalent of salary cap with these sort of things

the only transparently fair thing you could theoretically do is make divisions based on some numerical skill instead of based on rank

then, if a team is so good that they have no competition, then they will be alone in their division... but it creates a direct incentive to balance things up

i say theoretically because measuring skill is hard...
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Kaneh wrote: »
    there is more competition than you think out there - its just the divisions are pretty screwed up right now.

both Onslaught and Dysgorge can compete in lower div1, both have taken enough rounds off div 1 teams that its not just luck.

manup and next level could compete in div2, as well as that korean team, but the korean team is korean and the times are crap. Helix could easily be div2 if they found/trained a good strat caller.

Once divisions are fixed the competition will be better. The artificial 6 teams per division thing and the lack of information before the season started screwed it up, but if people have been following the scrims, you'll know there's a lot more talent/teams out there.

Try to avoid ranking teams in 'div' this or that because teams rise and fall quickly and the real time rankings are much more fluid then the ensl brackets.

Ns2 has and always will be a game where teams who are playing the most every day, scrimming the most, and having the most consistent group of players always on will have the biggest improvement.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    Flipper wrote: »
    Kaneh wrote: »

Try to avoid ranking teams in 'div' this or that because teams rise and fall quickly and the real time rankings are much more fluid then the ensl brackets.

Ns2 has and always will be a game where teams who are playing the most every day, scrimming the most, and having the most consistent group of players always on will have the biggest improvement.

How else can you rank teams currently? The best thing that I see us having to compare teams is what division they're in. Obviously given it's the end of the season, most of us know that dys is not the skill of a div 4 team and will likely be moving up. It's still the easiest word reference to say how decent a team is.

"Oh they're div 2 good" or "They are in/belong in div1"
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    But there's a huge difference between div1 teams right now... you could separate them in 3 groups right now easily.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Mendasp wrote: »
    But there's a huge difference between div1 teams right now... you could separate them in 3 groups right now easily.

Which is exactly the problem and its getting WORSE not better when teams fall apart/any free agent talent moves straight to the best team they can reach and strengthen them even more.

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    If you play this game competitively, you play it to win. You don't compete to win "some", you compete to win it ALL, to be the greatest of them all. If a good player on a lower team is the only good player on that team, should he be denied the opportunity if a better clan tries to recruit him? Should he stay because of loyalty or for weakening the team otherwise?

Good players like to play with other good players. I don't even know why there's a topic about this. It's happening in every game and sport where there is competition.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    wiry wrote: »
    Good players like to play with other good players. I don't even know why there's a topic about this. It's happening in every game and sport where there is competition.

the trend is actually where league admins actively try to stop this. they make random rules like salary cap or random artificial things like drafting processes favoring weaker teams
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    fana and tane in same team gg
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I fully agree with wiry. I played NS1 competitively and always tried to better myself and compete with the best. This allowed me to go from lower level teams to top tier teams. Yes, I made very good friends in the teams I was previously in, but the fact of the matter is I wanted to be a top level player so I had to leave and join better teams.. If the team is holding an individual back from becoming better, its up to him/her to leave and join a better team.

Think of it this way.. What if you had close friends who were like family to you and you had an offer to go to your dream job or dream school, but they didn't want you to leave. Would you sacrifice your future/what you could accomplish just to please others?

I see competitive play the same way.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    "Exigent was my dream job." - Syknik 2006
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Golden wrote: »
    "Exigent was my dream job." - Syknik 2006

Damnit Syknik!
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
    indeed, i remember some american guys talking about it, nexzil are indeed a good example.

Archaea less so nowadays, apparently Tane is leaving to play for Saunamen.
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    I think the concentration of talent raises the overall quality of the games for players as well as spectators. Because it means that you'll have to give your best in order to compete. You'll be tempted to win a round due to cheese, which always makes rounds fun to watch imo. And it makes the scene interesting. Who can beat Archaea? And how? New tactics develop and the metagame evolves faster.

I can only speak for the german and to a lesser extend the french and spanish community, but in these communities, the teams comprised of one nation, like HBZ, Cocorico and hard.day for example receive a lot of advice and scrim support by the better players of their country. Jaivol often asks me for PCW against spanish mix, when we play cocorico ray or herakles sometimes merc for them, and we (HBZ) sometimes play scrims with Aioros as Commander or german speaking mercs from top teams. We're also often given advice by them after our games.
    I think that Nexzil does probably even more to strengthen the community (which the US probably needs more than Europe). They do a lot of tutorial stuff and have this cup going atm.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    couldnt disagree more.
    sounds like communism for gamers.

the diffrents in skill is the reason of time spend playing it and the pure will to master it.
    Archea just spends hours of hours playing to be that good.

Its what CiB | StrikerX3 said and i can't agree more, if u like to improve play the good teams.
    They wont improve out of it, but the lower team will improve in everysingle match slowly but steady
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    If only this was AFL and we had feeder colt clubs ... oh wait, that costs millions and on a side note, your kids are now all plumbed out of their sockets.

And yes for the lower team. That is what they are all scared of.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Aioros wrote: »
    sounds like communism for gamers.
    Gammunism?

From each according to his kdr, to each according to his medpack spam.