Help save the Alien Franchise, make an awesome NS2 Xenomorphs vs Colonial Marines mod!

Nex CarnifexNex Carnifex Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76366Members
edited February 2013 in Modding
Can someone heavily mod Natural Selection 2 and make it Xenomorphs vs Colonial Marines? Don't we deserve a good nexgen alien game after the bs that was ACM? Just make the hives Queens, make the aliens have their life cycle, have the dynamic infestation look like hive resin, make the marine arsenal resemble the movies and possibly take hints from AvP 1 and 2, and then add stuff to make it so the aliens with their complete lifecycle vs marines works and is balanced. For example we can't have the aliens die quickly in their full forms or the game would just be marines vs facehuggers over and over...but we'd make it work, there could even be like a lone Predator player, and no new maps are required the NS2 maps are beautiful and would works fine with all the vents and stuff.

I want to develop this idea and maybe make it a reality so give me your advice please, so far I imagine aliens being able to drag dead/paralyzed marine bodies and attach them to walls so that facehuggers can find them and skip over the process of headhugging an active marine. And at the start of the match all the aliens begin as chestbursters, and chesterbursters have the option to evolve into various specified roles such as Warrior, Drone, or Praetorian, much like the aliens in NS2 have. Warriors are fast, deadly, cheap, and can climb walls. Drones are medium speed, can evolve to have abilities like acid spit, can spread hive resin and stick bodies to walls as well as other "gorge" like responsibilities, and climb walls, but they are weaker and more vulnerable. Praetorians are extremely durable and strong, serving as tanks for the alien team, they can sacrifice themselves to become a new Queen if the previous one is killed, thus assuming the roles of alien commander, but they are slow and cannot climb walls or fit in vents. All these forms can have additional evolutions, warriors can evolve to become super warriors which are more durable, fast, and strong. Drones can evolve to become Advanced Drones which can spit acid and create various biological traps within the hive. Praetorians can evolve to become Carriers, Crushers, or Ravagers, Carriers can carry live facehuggers into battle (useful for if the aliens are low on adult infantry), Crushers are super durable tanks like the ones in ACM, and Ravagers are just the ultimate alien killing machines.

Perhaps there are animals and lost human "survivors" that can be harvested by the aliens instead of the marine team, so there can be a steady flow of adult aliens in the game and it will never become just a facehugger killing frenzy.

Give me your input, wouldn't this be insanely awesome and fun? I'm hoping if someone makes this, then game developers will take a hint at how an Aliens game should be made, and the next Alien/AvP game as a result won't suck. Isn't the Aliens Franchise at the heart of pretty much every sci-fi movie and video game with Space Marines fighting hive minded aliens anyway? NS2 is the perfect foundation for the ultimate Aliens game so why waste the opportunity to create it? That's just my opinion, and I don't think it would be infringing on any laws as long as it is non-profit. I mean what's the difference between this and K&K's Dragon Ball Z Saiyan Saga trailer which they even received hundreds of dollars in donations to create?

Comments

• godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    Post one screenshot of this mod and you'll get a cease and desist.
  • Nex CarnifexNex Carnifex Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76366Members
    Why? It would be completely non-profit!?
    edited February 2013
    I see no difference between this idea and this

Both take copyrighted IPs and use them to create something not to make a profit but to make a statement about what can be done. I don't think the law will become involved in this innocent project.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome! It looks as if the textures (one of the harder parts) would already be well on its way to completion then, but the actual gameplay and nature of the units and evoltions as well as life cycle would need to be heavily edited... Im just a kid with ideas I dont know how to mod anything...
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    cinemablend.com/games/Warner-Bros-Shuts-Down-Fan-Made-Skyrim-Lord-Rings-Mod-46799.html

This is the risk and I think modders will not take the risk because time is precious.
  • BLAST_IMMINENTBLAST_IMMINENT Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183199Members
    How about the developers that get these projects actually test a game before they release it. I have not heard one good thing about ACP since its release. did no one at Gearbox play the game before the release? someone had to play it and say "Uh guys? this game is not good" the other guys were like "STHU! SEGAs check already cleared!!!" sad too because its such an Iconic franchise, with so much potential. The last AVP was good, i thought, but no one played it. whats up with that?
    How about the developers that get these projects actually test a game before they release it. I have not heard one good thing about ACP since its release. did no one at Gearbox play the game before the release? someone had to play it and say "Uh guys? this game is not good" the other guys were like "STHU! SEGAs check already cleared!!!" sad too because its such an Iconic franchise, with so much potential. The last AVP was good, i thought, but no one played it. whats up with that?
    It's bullshit, the developers fucked up, its not fair that we just need to accept the shit that these big gaming developers feed to us and we aren't allowed to fix it ourselves!?

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Why? It would be completely non-profit!?
    Because that's how copyright law works.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Forgetting the potential law suit they'd drop the moment you started to make anything that looked decent, Copying something is (in my opinion), a waste of time and effort. I think there's so many new weird and wonderful things yet to be created, why copy one of the most cliched and stale franchises around?!
    You'd be far better off making something influenced, by the aliens universe than directly copying for the millionth time.
  • AcrostixAcrostix Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183254Members
    The best thing to do is to just make some assets and throw them in there instead of a mod. Just clientside models/textures (are sounds possible clientside?). There's already some cool stuff lying around. Just make xeno models and pulse rifles and we'd be set.
    The only thing that would have to be changed is how the aliens work and how the hive and marine stuff looks, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And the reason I think there should be a good aliens game is because it is so iconic and it deserves a tribute on this scale, something that really allows us to be absorbed into the universe that started it all...it really is an important universe and its so unfair all the negative shit it gets attached too. Its just no fun making something with parasitic aliens vs space marines because it will always feel like its supposed to be H.R. Gigers aliens.
  • GRAT0RGRAT0R Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183797Members
    Yo I may be late but here is the deal.
    Keep up with the mod, join some guys, like the ones that create that resine mod and start working, i know saying this is easy, in comparation of doing it, in fact I modeled a low poly m41A pulse rifle from the Aliens film for you mate, its still untextured but its on the way, when i get to know what texture size is the common weapon and if it is splited within a multi sub-obj. Now go met more modelers and coders and finish this epic mod. I'm in ofcourse 6IqZ8gG.jpg
    GRAT0R wrote: »
    Yo I may be late but here is the deal.
    Keep up with the mod, join some guys, like the ones that create that resine mod and start working, i know saying this is easy, in comparation of doing it, in fact I modeled a low poly m41A pulse rifle from the Aliens film for you mate, its still untextured but its on the way, when i get to know what texture size is the common weapon and if it is splited within a multi sub-obj. Now go met more modelers and coders and finish this epic mod. I'm in ofcourse 6IqZ8gG.jpg

Wow that looks great, I don't have any experience in modding unfortunately, but this is definitely a project I would want to see started and seen through, maybe if I go to college for game design I'll get some people to do this with me O_o
  • SethbeastalanSethbeastalan Join Date: 2011-05-05 Member: 97360Members
    Wow that looks great, I don't have any experience in modding unfortunately, but this is definitely a project I would want to see started and seen through, maybe if I go to college for game design I'll get some people to do this with me O_o

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. College + Game Design = BAD. The exceptions are few, and even then they're unreliable.
  • paologerochipaologerochi Join Date: 2010-04-25 Member: 71534Members
    An Aliens mod for NS2? sounds awesome O_o

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. College + Game Design = BAD. The exceptions are few, and even then they're unreliable.
    What should I do lol, I have no specific interests :c
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There was a cool aliens model pack for NS1, just find that and update it.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    I say, hell yes!

Links to NS1 model packs:
    f4de wrote: »
    Is somebody working on an AVP total conversion mod? I hope a skilled modder will make such a mod for NS2 or at least the pulse rifle. That would be awesome.

The AVP total conversion mod for Natural Selection 1 can be downloaded here:
    http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/in...=27881&st=0
    http://www.brywright.co.uk/downloads/files.../customisation/
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Zaggy wrote: »
    I say, hell yes!

Links to NS1 model packs:
    f4de wrote: »
    Is somebody working on an AVP total conversion mod? I hope a skilled modder will make such a mod for NS2 or at least the pulse rifle. That would be awesome.

The AVP total conversion mod for Natural Selection 1 can be downloaded here:
    http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/in...=27881&st=0
    http://www.brywright.co.uk/downloads/files.../customisation/

Page not found for the first link and Error for the second :(
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    There's a few misconceptions in this thread. To be clear:

Textures, models, and animations are the easy part
    Changing how the game works is the hard part

As others have pointed out, the main concern with modding using a licenced property will be the rights holder(s).I 'd suggest not lifting (or appearing to lift) the content of AvP: Extinction wholesale. The creators are defunct, but you can guarantee someone owns the property. If modding work is tolerated, then the next concern is finding capable people willing to help. People with practical skills in creating the content as opposed to people who merely demand the content.

I think there's a lot of mileage in supporting that Giger reskin/homage as it'll deliver the right feel with less of the legal hassle. At the most basic level you won't really need coders, nor animators... and you might not even need modellers depending on how good your skinning is.

NON-MODDING PROTIP: Save oneself grief in later life, find some "specific interests" unless intending to use a degree merely for entry to managerial work in administration.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We arnt asking for a whole full scale mod, most of us just want some models, at least I do
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    edited April 2013
  • SparkOfLifeSparkOfLife Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184655Members
    I'd like to see something like that. But to avoid problems with 20th century Fox's and SEGA's licensed property, we might need some slightly modified alien designs with similar traits. I'm no good at modding (tried my best building a small corridor in Spark), but I am imaginative and a talented draftsman. I have already come up with a couple of designs, with slight remnants of H. R. Giger's work. Also, I asked people what the found really creepy, scary or discomforting, maybe even disgusting. I found a couple of recurring themes: arachnids, darkness, snakes, human intestines, slightly transparent skin, veins, not being able to see if that person is looking at you or not, slight human sexual traces, parasites, human stomach fluids, slimy skin, parasite carriers like rats etc.. Colour palette would be black, pale grey/white, acidic green and traces of brown. I agree, we deserve a really good Alien experience, because I always wanted to crawl out of an alien egg as a facehugger. But offering a better Alien experience... for free? I don't think SEGA wants that.
  • SparkOfLifeSparkOfLife Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184655Members
    edited April 2013
    Here are my first 2 designs. I'm not quite sure on what their abilities should be, but I guess that could be a wide variety of things.

EDIT: It seems like I'm unable to add the JPEG file to this post. Can someone explain to me how to add a picture to a post?
  • ExcitonexExcitonex Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182947Members
    With the recent Alien game's quality I think you could argue any work you produce that resembles a decent Alien game is a parody.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    *ahem*... If someone does ever make some non-copyright infringing Giger-style models I'd love to add some extra alien life forms to Xenoswarm...

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/129797/xenoswarm-a-new-mod-from-the-ns2combat-team
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the legal issue isn't that you'd be profiting, but 20th Century Fox could argue in court that your modification was causing them to sell less copies of their game. Regardless of how bad A:CM was. They own the intellectual property, and they have the right to protect the money they make off it :/