NS1 map archive

DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
Here is a great archive of NS1 maps:
http://www.brywright.co.uk/downloads/files/index.php?dir=natural-selection/maps/

You can use the good old Hammer editor, or Nem's tools (will be without texture)

I personally am eying co_airlock... so don't steal it!

Comments

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    if your interested in old NS1 maps, i had compiled a collection of maps at one point - http://ns2cmod.com/fastdownload/. The 7z file there contains all of it zipped up, about 4gbs worth.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    So many cool maps to check out. I have been around the forums way back in 2003-5 when one of the best (and underrated) custom maps were made.

Circa year ago I have been "sightseeing" trough a lot of NS1 custom maps, so still I have some personal favorites in my memory. I haven't been definitely trough all the custom maps and maybe I have missed some masterpiece, but anyways here are few of my personal picks:

ns_achio - this maps is so huge that it will blow your head out, some locations are very memorable, it was made by Kouji_san :)

ns_altair - it has a submarine !!

ns_eon - this map is really well made, it has excellent architecture

ns_hydrosity - that one is by Mouse, it has original setting and different mood from other ns maps

ns_machina - this one by Merkaba was included in NS 3.0, but is such blast of awesomeness that everyone should go and see it :-D

ns_mazion - it has very well made veil/eclipse-like architecture

ns_rust - one of my favorites, it has distinctive atmosphere and some really neat details

ns_shiva - a masterpiece by Moultano, one big eye-candy :-D

ns_source - one of the unfairly forgotten pieces - unfair to the amount of effort put by lt.Gravity in this map

ns_thorstation - I feel big potential from this map which was not 100% realized, but still nice map

Also I would like to advertise my maps: ns_hulk and co_overmind :)

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    I just realized for combat the maps that really should be remade are: angst, and daimos, both which can be found here: http://evolvens.com/ns/maps/

I might try to take one on instead of making something new; I think angst was my favorite ns1 co map.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Need .bsp to .level file converter.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    The way the compilers slap together the .bsp files is a complete mess though, polygon triangles generated in odd (seemingly unoptimized ways) from brushes and complex brushes that dare to touch other brushes, causing more polygon triangles. Not even mentioning the way working decompilers generating the source files from that .bsp, is even worse :(

I hope we still have the source .rmf or rather the .map files for these most of these maps. those could probably be opened in SparkE already right? But it still would be a complete rebuild, I guess. What with SparkE using faces for geometry while Goldsrc uses brushes...
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    I just realized for combat the maps that really should be remade are: angst, and daimos, both which can be found here: http://evolvens.com/ns/maps/

I might try to take one on instead of making something new; I think angst was my favorite ns1 co map.

I've picked up the editor again a couple of days ago and am now working on a ns2_co_deimos (yes, with an "e"). It will not be a "recreation" of my old co_daimos, but more of a "reimagination" (missing entities and no ladder-climbing for Gorge/Onos just being two of the reasons). It will have all the key locations of the originals "chained" together in the same way, but with a little different layout. Of course it'll feature all the old-school NS1 stuff, like conveniently-placed-crates[tm] for cover, deadly space-sewer-slime and a cheesy little ready room secret.

If anybody feels the need to recreate a 1:1 "port" of co_daimos, go ahead though.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited May 2013
    Which entities do you miss?
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    I should redo my co_level ... It's on the list of maps :)
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    Hypergrip wrote: »
    Of course it'll feature all the old-school NS1 stuff, like conveniently-placed-crates[tm] for cover, deadly space-sewer-slime and a cheesy little ready room secret.
    The important question is: Will it have emergency phasegates?
  • NiwatoriNiwatori Join Date: 2006-11-21 Member: 58695Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    sorry posting by mistake
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited September 2013
    xDragon wrote: »
    if your interested in old NS1 maps, i had compiled a collection of maps at one point - http://ns2cmod.com/fastdownload/. The 7z file there contains all of it zipped up, about 4gbs worth.
    i tried to download: ns.7z, but the download is not working.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    EDIT: i did some research...

Convert: .bsp to .level = not available, BUT:
    • manually: how-to-recreate-ns1-map-to-ns2-map (THREAD)
    • automatically a):
      • open the .BSP in Crafty and export it as...
        • .vmf & open the .vmf with Spark Editor - not working
        • .vmf & open the .vmf with Valve Hammer Editor & save it as a "valid" .vmf & open the .vmf with Spark Editor - did not try this
        • .map & open the .map with Valve Hammer Editor & save it as a "valid" .vmf & open the .vmf with Spark Editor - did not try this
        • .obj & open the .obj with ??? & save it as ???... - did not try this
    • automatically b):
    Convert: .rmf / .map to .vmf to .level = available!
    • open the .rmf / .map file with the Valve Hammer Editor (from Source Engine / Half-Life 2 Engine ) or Crafty and save it as vmf
    • open the .vmf with the Spark Editor

File Formats:
    • .bsp: half-life 1 engine playable map (cant be open in a map-editor, tools available to decompile it to map-format, but its not really working)
    • .rmf: valve hammer editor (Half-Life 1 Engine)
    • .map: valve hammer editor (Half-Life 1 Engine)
    • .vmf: valve hammer editor (Half-Life 2 Engine / Source Engine), can open .rmf / .map and save it as .vmf
    • .level: spark editor (ns2-engine / spark engine), can open .vmf and save it as .level

HLLib: (Link)
    is a package (& open source) library for Half-Life that abstracts several package formats (BSP, GCF, NCF, PAK, VPK, WAD, XZP and uncompressed ZIP) and provides a simple interface for all of them.
    Can be used with C / C++ / C# / Java on Windows (x86 / x64) and Linux...
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    *push* (see post above)