Natural Selection 2 Build 245 Released - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    ...Always? Or is it specific to certain servers. Why would they ruin such a great mod?!?!?! Fuck, I wanna go kill myself.

It is a setting that is disabled by default.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I feel so sad... At least it is not compulsory.
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited April 2013
    LOL @ removing the modded server designation without adding some way to see the mods a server is running before you join it. Terrible. Modded servers are second class.
  • Angelo85Angelo85 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154662Members
    I like to enjoy my Vanilla NS2 experience without having to worry about any weird mods that might be running in the background or altering the gameplay.
    I think the modded Server display change should be reverted until the Devs are able to integrate their ITT mentioned plans for seeing mod details.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    edited April 2013
    Max wrote: »
    6john wrote: »
    Can we get at least some way to tell this? I like the idea of preventing second class stuff, but i think ideally there'd be a way to blacklist certain mods for your personal filters, or at least tell what mods are running before joining.
    We're going to add a "details" window in the server browser that shows you information about a specific server, such as the mods that it is running. It will be in a future patch.

Having it simply tell you modded versus not-modded was not consistent with our goals. Ultimately we would like almost every server to be running mods -- like server administration tools -- which the community can do a better job at than we can.
    I may as well just not play anymore then.

I hate modded servers.

Being able to filter them was a boon.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    "Don't download sound" like gldsrc/source has would be good.
    Are you planning on removing the functionality on filtering rookie servers too?
    I mean, they're second class servers by your standards too.
    You can filter them!!!111one
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Ping Bug and mist/enzyme issues. On KKG at least, can't mist, enzyme, or ping. Animation goes continually the rest of the game, and ping doesn't work.

Just lost a game on tram because arcs were useless.
    Must server related bugs are due to mods.
    I should make a server with the neon alien skins, you know, because modded servers aren't second class anymore.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Bone Wall burst sound now audible for Alien Commander."

kool. maybe its time to update the hugh mod
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Can all of you nerds stop pretending there isn't 5+ UWE servers in your region that are completely unmodded and have normal player limits, the sky hasn't fallen, it's part one of many to re vamp the server browser while enabling server admins to install DAK/Vote Mod/NS2 Stats/random without making their server piss stained yellow, plenty of community servers were already installing these mods in technically illegal or not to do ways to avoid being stained already. Any server previously running _ANY_ custom map got piss stained yellow, this was horrible and needed to change, it has and you'll get your details in time. This isn't source, there isn't 100 sound file mods and 50 simpson .wavs and auto play music on server join yet, be quiet.

@g3
    You didn't download anything like a UT sound pack, you played an NS2 stats server on patch day so the sound was reset, if you stopped team stacking on convict island servers for one night you'd know this.

That med spam change is barely even a nerf, I've been med spammed perfectly fine already in 245 and if anything it will now annoy commanders more because instead of registering E S S S S S someone out of rhythm with the cool down will just click marines a lot and stop dropping med packs mid fight.

So another pub nerf, thank you to all the competitive players for these exciting and interesting additions to this game, 2 tres med packs and no armour from the armoury must be so close to being released my penis is tingling in excitement, I can't wait to press that "Delete local content" button on the steam menu.
    edited April 2013
    @Xao
    EDIT: Misunderstood your point, also I happened to be playing on the server 1 hour BEFORE the patch, so it seems it's permanent there. Though I don't understand how you expect me to go and play on US servers often to understand the issue, (since no Aus server I know of runs ns2stats).
    AZERTY's commander interface support ?

There's a mod for this. Not sure how often it gets blocked.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Removed the distinction between modded and non-modded servers in the server browser (so that modded servers are not treated as “second class”).

Finally. Thanks for this one. :]
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ULTRA KILL!!!! DOMINATING
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Ping Bug and mist/enzyme issues. On KKG at least, can't mist, enzyme, or ping. Animation goes continually the rest of the game, and ping doesn't work.

Just lost a game on tram because arcs were useless.

This is a problem with NS2Stats after and update. It will be fixed when NS2Stats is updated.
    edited April 2013
    Xao wrote: »
    Can all of you nerds stop pretending there isn't 5+ UWE servers in your region that are completely unmodded and have normal player limits, the sky hasn't fallen, it's part one of many to re vamp the server browser while enabling server admins to install DAK/Vote Mod/NS2 Stats/random without making their server piss stained yellow, plenty of community servers were already installing these mods in technically illegal or not to do ways to avoid being stained already. Any server previously running _ANY_ custom map got piss stained yellow, this was horrible and needed to change, it has and you'll get your details in time. This isn't source, there isn't 100 sound file mods and 50 simpson .wavs and auto play music on server join yet, be quiet.
    I sort by ping, and join the server with the lowest ping that has 20 or less players.
    Whether or not there's official servers is a moot point.

This change was poorly thought out, and there was no reason to remove the filter until they had a replacement ready.

I chose to filter servers that used mods, because I don't want to be included on things like NS2 stats.
    This change removes that choice, and I have to join servers blind now.

Again, they shouldn't have removed the feature until they had the replacement ready to go.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited April 2013
    And then NS2 stats loads its info dump as soon as you join and you leave the server, massive inconvenience of 10 seconds for you that now enables server admins to run custom maps and simple plug ins like votemap/random without tweaking files they shouldn't have to or being filtered, I don't know what part of any server being stained yellow for running a custom map seems like a better alternative to you.

edit: grammar.
    They were exploiting, so you guys chose to remove functionality without having a replacement ready to go?
    The key words there are "When they join", not "Before they join".

The reason modded servers were stigmatised is because of the plethora of mods available, while some are innocuous like NS2Stats or DAKAdmin kit or the heightened consistency check mod, there are others that change how the game is played(Combat).
    Unless the server states in the server name WHAT mod they are running, we are forced to go in blind.

I know that it's not a "huge deal", but at the same time, it seems silly to remove the functionality before you guys had your replacement ready to go, regardless of people exploiting to get their servers to show up as "Vanilla."

It feels like you're punishing the playerbase for the actions of server admins.
  • sumo0sumo0 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164543Members
    edited April 2013
    I think that maybe some people are just not happy with mods being in a teambased game such as this (atleast that's the case for me) and therefore just want to stay away from modded servers alltogether.

Sure, mods might bring a few nice things. But there will always also be bad stuff that can be considered as "legal" cheating. And furthermore it will be almost impossible to keep those mods away from servers. When a mod give someone else an advantage over someone else i get pissed and lose motivation to play the game.

I also prefer unmodded servers when playing.

EDIT: official servers are where rookies go to play which means i might end up with a clueless commander. Also, private servers have better pings where im from. Them germans have good servers and connections.
    Zek wrote: »
    If you feel passionately about playing vanilla, pick an official server. Or just find servers you do like and Favorite them. I really don't see the problem.
    As I stated earlier.
    I play on servers with the lowest ping, and 20 or less players.
    My ping to the best Official server is in the 70-90 range in the browser, so add 20-40 in game.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    sumo0 wrote: »
    I think that maybe some people are just not happy with mods being in a teambased game such as this (atleast that's the case for me) and therefore just want to stay away from modded servers alltogether.

Sure, mods might bring a few nice things. But there will always also be bad stuff that can be considered as "legal" cheating. And furthermore it will be almost impossible to keep those mods away from servers. When a mod give someone else an advantage over someone else i get pissed and lose motivation to play the game.

I also prefer unmodded servers when playing.

EDIT: official servers are where rookies go to play which means i might end up with a clueless commander. Also, private servers have better pings where im from. Them germans have good servers and connections.

I just don't understand why after playing the game for this long you don't have any favorited servers. Presumably there have been quite a few servers you've played on by now that fit your criteria. Who knows, maybe now you'll find new servers with tasteful mods that don't hinder your experience at all.
    edited April 2013
    I did a re-install of windows after my old computer asploded, and lost all my favourites.

It doesn't help that you can't favourite a server IN game.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Zek wrote: »
    If you feel passionately about playing vanilla, pick an official server. Or just find servers you do like and Favorite them. I really don't see the problem.
    So we cant play on anything with more than 8v8 then as the UWE servers are only 16 player?

Sorry but the mod removal is a bad move without a solution to allow players to avoid them as others have said.
    If ns2 stats and DAK showed up as modded could you simply have not changed the code to say they are not classed as mods?

Med pack spam limit is a good idea and long overdue.