Who misses the heavy machine gun ?

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
I love the good old days on NS1 where you could purchased HMG.

Now you hare forced to be a big giant robo that cuts your legs of and uses powerful weapons.

What if we would be more flexible, playing around as regular marine with a HMG. Would be awesome!

So I'll make a wish. My wish is that the HMG will come back to Natural selection 2.

Whats your wish? :D

Comments

• AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
    Yes, I certainly miss the HMG. HMG+Jetpack was a proper threat to an onos, and could easily be swapped out for a grenade launcher if it was time to siege. now the marines hardly have an anti-onos weapon.
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    Andinagama wrote: »
    now the marines hardly have an anti-onos weapon.

It's called teamwork :) Although tough to pull off most of the time unfortunately.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited April 2013
    no, i don't miss obsolete LMG.

in ns2 the HMG is not needed... you can totally destroy everything 1v1 with a shotgun except onos, which you can out-run/climb with jetpack.

additionally, in a game where marines have performed optimally - onos will be incredibly rare and costly. marines can afford to go onos hunting and then have pretty much a free win after that. onos are only an overwhelming force when the marines have totally failed up to that point.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    I sort of agree with tarquin. However a properly balanced HMG I can't really see as a bad thing. It doesn't need to be crazy OP if it gets put in. Make it cost 15 res, hold 50 bullets and do 2 more points of damage then the LMG? How much more damage did NS1 HMG do? I wouldn't want it to be quite as powerful from what i remember in 2004 or 05.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It was kind of a silly weapon, in the sense that there was precious little reason to use anything else. It was easy to aim, had a huge magazine, wasn't ruinously expensive, and did a lot of damage to more or less anything. Oh and you could use it with a jetpack.

I miss it perhaps in the sense that there isn't any weapon I can think of that is quite that universally powerful in NS2? But in terms of making the game good, no I don't really miss it.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    tarquinbb wrote: »

in ns2 the HMG is not needed... you can totally destroy everything 1v1 with a shotgun except onos, which you can out-run/climb with jetpack.

additionally, in a game where marines have performed optimally - onos will be incredibly rare and costly. marines can afford to go onos hunting and then have pretty much a free win after that. onos are only an overwhelming force when the marines have totally failed up to that point.

You need HMG to counter an onos. But for NS2 I'm hoping it will be added but not as powerful as NS1 due to exocuit.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members

You need HMG to counter an onos. But for NS2 I'm hoping it will be added but not as powerful as NS1 due to exocuit.

you don't need HMG to counter an onos... because aliens can't mass onos, and that's just how the game works...

in an even game, the objective of the alien team is to 'hang on' as long as possible before they get better lifeforms such as lerks/fades. trying your best to keep your RT's alive and destroy marine RT's, but inevitably you should be on the back foot as marines have all the tools required to dominate skulks. the arrival of lerk/fades gives the alien team greater versatility/proficiency; enabling them to destroy marine bases.

inherently they don't have the pres to evolve many onos, because marines should have forced them into making lerks/fades to survive.

in simple terms; if you can't counter the onos then you already lost the game a long time ago.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You had me agreeing until that binary descriptor at the end. Plenty of times an onos can make a misstep or marines were vigilant enough to take it down.. And then it's wholly demoralizing for said alien team, regardless of their potential lead or not.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    You had me agreeing until that binary descriptor at the end. Plenty of times an onos can make a misstep or marines were vigilant enough to take it down.. And then it's wholly demoralizing for said alien team, regardless of their potential lead or not.
    One could argue if they killed the onos they did in fact counter it.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I just miss it because it was one of the iconic weapons of NS :(
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I don't miss jetpackers with HMG's but I do think that heavy armors with HMG's were a lot more fun to fight as and against than the exos. As it currently stands though, I don't think the HMG has a place in NS2.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I quite like fighting against exos - but only when it's a close game. There's nothing quite so much fun as taking an exo down as a skulk. Now jetpackers, on the other hand... I'm beginning to learn how to fade against JPs better, but I'm still learning :)

IMO, weapons 3 lmgs are quite brutal enough, thank you! I loved the feel of the HMG, but it's not right for NS2.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013

you don't need HMG to counter an onos... because aliens can't mass onos, and that's just how the game works...

in an even game, the objective of the alien team is to 'hang on' as long as possible before they get better lifeforms such as lerks/fades. trying your best to keep your RT's alive and destroy marine RT's, but inevitably you should be on the back foot as marines have all the tools required to dominate skulks. the arrival of lerk/fades gives the alien team greater versatility/proficiency; enabling them to destroy marine bases.

inherently they don't have the pres to evolve many onos, because marines should have forced them into making lerks/fades to survive.

in simple terms; if you can't counter the onos then you already lost the game a long time ago.

I don't know what planet you come from. But I'm from mars. All compatitive in mars, we play 6V6 then you don't have an entire army to defend yourself against an onos. Do you know how many clips it takes to take out one onos? About 8-9 clips (can't remember, I blame my age.. buuhuuu). SO what if 4 out of 6 players vhent onos, that's an unstoppable force.

So try and think outside of the box and you'll see undless of possiblities of how a HMG can make us happy.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

I don't know what planet you come from. But I'm from mars. All compatitive in mars, we play 6V6 then you don't have an entire army to defend yourself against an onos. Do you know how many clips it takes to take out one onos? About 8-9 clips (can't remember, I blame my age.. buuhuuu). SO what if 4 out of 6 players vhent onos, that's an unstoppable force.

So try and think outside of the box and you'll see undless of possiblities of how a HMG can make us happy.

Yikes no, at w2 or w3, assuming the onos isn't going to hang around past 50% damage taken, then 3 or 4 marines is often enough to scare it off, if not also chase its fat arse down and kill it while it's running away...

I don't play competitively (though I'd like to if I had time and was skillful enough), but I do watch a fair number of comp streams/casts, and plenty of oni die in 6v6 as far as I can tell. Now if the aliens can muster 2 or 3 oni in 6v6, that becomes a rather different story...

I have a feeling it's something like 6 w3 lmg clips to kill a cara onos, but don't quote me on that. :)

If the HMG could be balanced (which would be tough, but I guess doable), it's still a massive boost to marines. It's not as though late-game skulks and lerks fare particularly well at the moment as it is...
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Absolutely. I miss it greatly, and I didn't even play NS1.
    But I can still appreciate its importance to gameplay. Both making players feel like complete badass while wielding it. And offering an important alternative to the currently jack of all trades shotgun during the later game.

The usual argument against the HMG is that it would be a direct upgrade to the LMG. Which by its self is nonsense reason, even more so when you look at the minigun exosuits.
    edited April 2013
    Jekt wrote: »

The usual argument against the HMG is that it would be a direct upgrade to the LMG. Which by its self is nonsense reason, even more so when you look at the minigun exosuits.

I don't follow you. The dual mini is better than the single mini... but it's slower (and the fist never overheats!). There's your tradeoff.
    The HMG is better than the LMG in every respect. Unless it makes the marine slower (like the jetpack does to running...), then the design decision not to have direct upgrades would preclude the HMG from being brought in...
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'd like an overpowered weapon, so yes I miss it. Mainly because giving me a larger clip will give me more blood

I don't feel powerful in an exosuit, I'd rather have a shotgun and a jp
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    edited April 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    The HMG is better than the LMG in every respect. Unless it makes the marine slower (like the jetpack does to running...), then the design decision not to have direct upgrades would preclude the HMG from being brought in...

That's how it worked in NS1. You were much slower with an HMG (also huge reload time), I would frequently toss my pistol for the slight maneuverability boost. I understand why they dropped it but that doesn't mean I don't miss it.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would rather see alternate ammunition types for the existing guns.

Buy them once, and it acts like purchasing a new gun and can be dropped (and picked back up) like a regular weapon
    -- Either researched individually or unlocked automatically when AA gets researched

For Example:

Rifle: Uranim Bullets - Changes damage type of LMG to Piercing (bonus damage to lifeforms, less damage to structures)

Shotgun: Phosphorus Shells - Changes Damage type of shotgun to flame and adds DoT + Energy debuff (total DPS remains the same)

GL - Nerve Gas (seen this one in the Lua): Does DoT to all lifeforms in the area of effect (area denial)

Flamethrower: Liqued Nitrogen - Removes Dot and energy Debuff, now slows movement on contact and deals full damage (DoT + Initial of flame), Great vs fades and lerks

This seems more interesting than a plain HMG (more bullets, higher damage, lower accuracy) since it lets every weapon have an alternate function.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I miss the HMG terribly and I wanted it brought back during the 23x builds where marines were getting completely dominated. Now that things are closer to even, something else would have to change or it would just make marines overpowered.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Chris0132 wrote: »
    It was kind of a silly weapon, in the sense that there was precious little reason to use anything else. It was easy to aim, had a huge magazine, wasn't ruinously expensive, and did a lot of damage to more or less anything. Oh and you could use it with a jetpack.

I miss it perhaps in the sense that there isn't any weapon I can think of that is quite that universally powerful in NS2? But in terms of making the game good, no I don't really miss it.
    My sentiments exactly
  • Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    edited April 2013
    They should add the HMG back into the game, all they have to do is make it cost like 15 or 25 pRes and make it and lmg basically but with 100-125 bullets. but also tone down the lmg make it weaker against structure and the HMG stronger in that aspect. or just make the HMG like buying a level 4 lmg with a bigger clip something along those lines

edit, plus if we ask enough we will probably get it, people asked for gorge tunnels and they got those, and those are the stupidest things ever added to this game imo
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Arkahm719 wrote: »
    15 pres
    yeah, no

If the HMG came back to NS then it'd probably need a hard cap and cost like 50 pres, can you imagine every player in the game having one of those with the current life form hp's? Walk forwards, hold mouse 1, everything dies instantly except onos, which takes 4s.
    edit, plus if we ask enough we will probably get it, people asked for gorge tunnels and they got those, and those are the stupidest things ever added to this game imo

Yeah but gorge tunnels have (or had, not sure with 244) almost no impact on balance or game flow.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    |strofix| wrote: »
    I miss the nuke
    I've always supported simply nuking the entire site from orbit :)
  • LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    I liked the HMG. I liked the damage it could do with a Jetpack. I also liked that it looked and functioned as though it was designed by an car engine manufacturing company.

However I think there UW would have to think a great deal about the game's balance to put it back in again. The HMG may be a cheaper and more feasible option for combating late game Fades and Oni than EXOs. That would just add more marine upgrades to the useless pile along with Flamers and Grenade launchers.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    they should bring it back and make it cost 50 res, and also give you a bunch of armor. and it'd be really cool if you could buy 2 of them for 75 res.

on a more serious note, the HMG was a boring weapon. ns2's structure is so much better, where a proper team of marines consists of shotguns, grenade launchers, rifles, and a flamethrower. ns1's proper marine squad consisted of HMGs and a grenade launcher.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    15 pres
    yeah, no

If the HMG came back to NS then it'd probably need a hard cap and cost like 50 pres, can you imagine every player in the game having one of those with the current life form hp's? Walk forwards, hold mouse 1, everything dies instantly except onos, which takes 4s.

Yeah but gorge tunnels have (or had, not sure with 244) almost no impact on balance or game flow.

Gorge tunnels make a pretty big difference now from what I've seen. Not so much on the offensive side of things but for defense they are very useful. Some of the top competitive teams have started using them
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah with the decreased costs they might be good now I don't really know yet.
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    The hmg wasnt the best for every situation. It had reduced damage against structures and a long reload time. Spore was ranged and all aliens were much more maneuverable. Despite this,
    it was pretty sweet to see four or five lines containing your name followed by the hmg icon and a skulk's name at the top right :>

I miss the hmg, but I don't think the aliens have the tools to combat it in ns2.