Wheres the admins of UWE?

TigriTigri Join Date: 2013-04-09 Member: 184722Members
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hello

I have been playing ns2 now for 244hrs. I love the game & mostly i play in UWE official servers.
Lately there have been trolls ruining the game in official servers and theres no way to kick/ban those players by other players.

So i am asking; where are the admins of UWE when we need them? Theres not that many official servers running at the same time with players on, so i cant see that as a problem to have at least one admin to keep justice in place.

Other solution could be a votekick system with a small time ban (10minutes or so).

For example last game i had, we had a troll commander who sold the only RT and wasted all res for ammo, after that he went to spectator mode.
He managed to make this happen at least three times in a row.
When we made it faster to the commander chair, this troll joined in aliens & went to alien comm, he dropped hive next to our (marine) base and went to spectator mode again.
We made a deal with alien team that we wont shoot the hive down because it was dropped by that troll. After hearing that this troll joined a marine team & started killing the hive.

Snip - No name and shame, use PMs :) - GISP

Those people are killing the server.
I dont find it as a solution to change server because theres not many UWE servers running same time with players on.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    Feel free to contact me anytime for any Official UWE server issues.
    PM or Steam - both go to my phone.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960471387/

There are many of us.. but I am so far the only one who advertises it.

Also, here is the steam group page of all NS2 server admins in case you are on a non official server:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2serveradmins

edit: Have any evidence of this trolling?
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    edited April 2013
    Snip - No name and shame, use PMs :) - GISP
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Please do not publicly list users / name drop.
    PM me instead with names and evidence.
    Thanks
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    There was this one guy named IronHorse *snip* that always aimbots in playtests. He should be banned.
    :P
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    Is a votekick/ban system being added to the game? That would solve lots of problems.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    We should make the game unattractive for such punks. Maybe they go away if we remove, say, the ability to kill each other. I heard that one'a real punk magnet. Or maybe go back to 486 graphics, that's known to scare them off good.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    Is a votekick/ban system being added to the game? That would solve lots of problems.

No this will be heavily abused
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Melancor wrote: »
    We should make the game unattractive for such punks. Maybe they go away if we remove, say, the ability to kill each other. I heard that one'a real punk magnet. Or maybe go back to 486 graphics, that's known to scare them off good.

Counterexample: Minecraft Alpha, where you couldn't even kill people in multiplayer. God that was horrible. It was at that time that stupid troll face started circulating and then it got popular with the kids.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sometimes I long for vote kick/ban. Then I might have a blinding game out of nowhere, and I just KNOW I'm going to get troll kicked in that case.

Now if the vote kick system were to only work for players on the same team, that might help me (but not the guy having a bad day who goes 0 14 and gets booted by a team who don't like carrying the extra weight!).

I can't see a way this wouldn't be abused, unfortunately.

Thankfully we have some fine, upstanding admins like IronHorse and "the others" as has been mentioned above!
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We are working on a voting system. We will make sure it is not easy to abuse.

It will focus on map vote and team assignment to start.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Tread carefully sir!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited April 2013

Cool. Although I fear for the in game witch hunts from players that are too good if you implement vote kicking. I'm assuming that by team assignment you mean random all. So that should be interesting.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    ezekel wrote: »

Just like in every other game with vote kick?

In my experience people only get vote kicked if they're idiots, or team killers.
  • Sinistral_on_SteamSinistral_on_Steam MA, USA Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    ... I'm assuming that by team assignment you mean random all. ..
    But we already have the random command when enabled???

Maybe something based along the lines of your score the last few games on the server (that would count say up to the the last 3 maps you've been playing on the server - obviously this would only go into effect on the following match after you achieve a score) could balance teams. That way when a server goes random it would effectively balance the teams by the last few matches scores (average of the final scores at the end of the last few games), eg. with 3v3 random teams would be balanced (with made up scores) like this; player A has 5 points, B has 10, C has 15, D has 10, E has 10, and F has 10 you could theoretically balance the teams perfectly by doing any one of the various random 30 point team configurations. As usually the cumulative scores would never be perfectly equal in the possible configurations it would just default to the most balanced combo for the teams.

And I think concede should be able to be voted off if there's a 60% or so server-wide consensus on disabling/enabling concede at any time This way if most players feel a game is continuing along in a fun way it basically tells those who would otherwise concede that 3/5 of the players on the server want to finish the match. A lot of time I feel games are going great and even if the other team is losing I'd like to finish the match rather then see them concede. A little arrogant sounding but I feel it's justified if 60% of the players feel that way about the match.

I think this would help a lot with balancing issues.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

Just like in every other game with vote kick?

In my experience people only get vote kicked if they're idiots, or team killers.

I've been votekicked by simple large group of trollers who join together, also I've been votekicked for "cheating" and I assume many others have had the same experience

Responsible admins are the best way to deal with these things
    If you're getting vote kicked by a large group of trollers, they did you a favour.
    Also: How is that any different than a group of trollers purposely recycling everything repeatedly?

Not all servers can have an admin on 24/7.

People will game any system put in place.
    We can't vote kick, so people act like douchenozzles with impunity.
    If we had vote kick, there would be some bad kicks(New people, hackusations, groups of trolls).

I think vote kick is the lesser of two evils, as it puts control back in the players hands.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I've been votekicked by simple large group of trollers who join together, also I've been votekicked for "cheating" and I assume many others have had the same experience

At least this way it takes a majority on the server, not just one.
    I do agree that diligent admins are the best solution though. Although some sort of votekick would be nice to put the fear of God into the more impudent trolls, some of the people who troll this game have no shame, the cunts.
    edited April 2013
    As an addendum, obviously vote kick would only work if it was team based.

If you could kick people from the other team, it'd be dumb.
    You'd just have people kicking the other team's com "for the lulz".

Kicking would also have to be (nearly) unanimous.
    ie: Minimum 75-80%(excluding the kickee) of a team would have to vote to kick someone.
  • FuhrerDarqueSydeFuhrerDarqueSyde Join Date: 2004-10-04 Member: 32076Members, Constellation
    Votekick would not deter the trolls as they'd just rejoin and be like "you mad? lololololol" and then change their name to match someone elses like they like to do and try and take over the chair again at their next opportunity. Voteban is too powerful; Setting the percent too high hinders its effectiveness but setting it too low allows for wild abuse of the system.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Votekicking in other games is awful. It's always either one of these:

1) Nobody cares and the vote is ignored

2) Nobody knows how to vote despite the prompt on the screen

3) Nobody on the other team knows how to start a vote so I have to wait till a spot clears in order to switch sides

4) Get kicked by a group of friends trying to turn a public server into a private one

5) Get kicked by people who've never seen twitch aim before

6) Successfully kick the troll/cheater! They disconnect before the vote registers and reconnects. Revoting is on a cooldown timer.

I'm hoping that in NS2, at least people will listen and participate on voting, especially since most players use voice communication. Most other games there is zero communication going on besides insults.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members

@MurphyIdiot This is great news! If you get time, can you make it extendable so we can customise the items in the menu? I'm working on a new mod architecture that has multiple game modes so this would be quite useful for us to let players vote to change the mode...
    edited April 2013
    What games do you play @squishpoke with high amounts of teamwork that have that problem??

Worked correctly in cs and quake ctf for years imo
    IronHorse wrote: »
    What games do you play @squishpoke with high amounts of teamwork that have that problem??

Yeah, pretty much.

You only got kicked in CS or Quake for being an idiot.
    You may have a point, the games I remember with kick-voting distinctly lacked teamwork.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If you're getting vote kicked by a large group of trollers, they did you a favour.
    This.

If there are enough people to randomly votekick, then there are enough people to ruin any games on the server anyway. I'd rather find this out before rather than during or after a wasted match.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

L4D

It is painfully easy to troll people with vote kick there.
    You mean with a whole four players?
    Yeah that would be easy.
    Don't think that's gonna happen with 8 to 12 on a team..
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Make it so you can enter a reason for a vote kick/ban, which is displayed along with the vote window, then the system will work.

Only systems when people see a vote and start asking "why" do not work.