Server Specs?

tortoiserodenttortoiserodent Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184634Members
I'm running a private clan server that I'm looking to expand and make public. Any suggestions on picking the best gear/specs so that people will actually want to play on it?

Was thinking about a dual-proc 3Ghz Xeon w/ 12 GiB of RAM to start with. Thoughts?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    2GB of RAM per server instance and as much GHz as you can throw at it. The performance links in my thread are broken, but the specs listed are still a good place to start.
  • tortoiserodenttortoiserodent Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184634Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    2GB of RAM per server instance and as much GHz as you can throw at it. The performance links in my thread are broken, but the specs listed are still a good place to start.

Thanks, thats good to know. It'll actually bring the server price down a lot too!
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    That was 2GB per server instance. As in per core (-1 for safety). Are these new Xeons? Assuming 6 cores each, 12 total -1, thats 11 instances, 22GB.

Although these days 2GB is probably even a bit much, most servers run at a minimum of 700MB and can reach 1GB. Not that you should run the bare minimums.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    endar wrote: »
    That was 2GB per server instance. As in per core (-1 for safety). Are these new Xeons? Assuming 6 cores each, 12 total -1, thats 11 instances, 22GB.

Although these days 2GB is probably even a bit much, most servers run at a minimum of 700MB and can reach 1GB. Not that you should run the bare minimums.
    Yeah, this is correct, though I don't think the # of cores - 1 for the server instances is as much as issue anymore as long as that last server instance is a private NS2 server.