Alien vision default = on?

SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
Given how powerful alien vision is, the majority of aliens have it on quite often. So I'm wondering if the default can be to have it on instead of off when you spawn. If it was default on you could still turn it off. I think it might also help new players, since many have no clue what it does since they have never used it.

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    wiry wrote: »
    It should remain off, but I think that if you have it on when you start an evolution it should remain on when the evolution is finished.
    Definitely this!!
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    wiry wrote: »
    It should remain off, but I think that if you have it on when you start an evolution it should remain on when the evolution is finished.

I think alien vision should remain on (once you turn it on) throughout the game until you physically turn it off (even if you die and respawn).
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited April 2013
    Or you know, could have an option to either default it to on or off. That way no one can really complain. Although pressing the f key is not much work. But I do remember it taking me a while to figure out aliens even had it when I started playing because I assumed the alien vision from the videos came from an upgrade later on in the game. When I figured out I had it by default I was amazed at how useful it was.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    ^...and not seeing flashlights, scans, flames, whether power is off, ...someone else carry on.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <sarcasm>I think alien vision should cost pres to maintain. Or tres. Or both.</sarcasm>

<---- Runs for cover
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    *lets out a gorge bleat and spits after Kamamura*
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Speaking of aliens, I'd love aliens abilities to be binded to keys 1-6, so as soon as you hit B it will be like a counter-strike buy menu, hit b/2/3/5/enter would be celerity/silence/carapace for example, instead of manually clicking

And I agree that alien vision should stay on after evolving, but I don't think you should spawn with it on. Also in future, it would be dandy if we were allowed to modify alien vision RGB colors from options instead of having to modify the actual file. It's not a problem or anything, but for the general users it would be an awesome addition in the future!
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't spawn with it on. New people will assume that this is how the game looks like and will hate how crappy the graphics look. I'm actually being serious.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2013
    Don't spawn with it on. New people will assume that this is how the game looks like and will hate how crappy the graphics look. I'm actually being serious.

That is how the game looks and the graphics are that crappy if you want to play aliens well. There's very little reason to turn it off so I tend to play the entire game like that. Except, amusingly, for when the horrible graphics get too much for my eyes and I turn it off to get some relief.

Less crappy alien vision graphics would be nice.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Chris0132 wrote: »

That is how the game looks and the graphics are that crappy if you want to play aliens well. There's very little reason to turn it off so I tend to play the entire game like that. Except, amusingly, for when the horrible graphics get too much for my eyes and I turn it off to get some relief.

You don't understand, it's the first impression it makes on a new player used to games where there are no alternate vision modes. Think of it from a user experience standpoint as opposed to optimum amount of win while playing aliens.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members

You don't understand, it's the first impression it makes on a new player used to games where there are no alternate vision modes. Think of it from a user experience standpoint as opposed to optimum amount of win while playing aliens.

I'm saying it would be an accurate first impression. You will spend the vast majority of your time with alien vision turned on when playing aliens, there is very little reason not to do so. If a player joined aliens and thought 'this looks like crap' he would be accurate in that assessment, because it does look like crap most of the time, because you'll be playing with alien vision on, especially if you're a new player and stand to gain most from the obvious advantages of it.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Kamamura wrote: »
    <sarcasm>I think alien vision should cost pres to maintain. Or tres. Or both.</sarcasm>

<---- Runs for cover
    I have terrible memories of when it used to cost energy!
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Paajtor wrote: »
    There's very little reason to turn it off so I tend to play the entire game like that. Except, amusingly, for when the horrible graphics get too much for my eyes and I turn it off to get some relief.

That's why I would love to have an Alien Vision like this getting white-listed.
    It looks so much nicer, has less strain on the eyes.
    I had the mod loaded for some time, but came accross only 1 server which allowed for the use of it. :(

Don't look for a white-list anytime soon.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    There's very little reason to turn it off so I tend to play the entire game like that.
    You mention how you personally play, but also assume in the same post that every single person plays like that?

I rarely use it - sometimes spiking in chaotic environments, or approaching the enemy in the dark - and personally feel like its a crutch. It isn't training you to better your target acquisition.. it just makes it so when you turn it off (or go marines) that you were used to that aid.

But I realize that's my personal preference and playstyle and does not reflect everyone else's.

And as for other reasons not to use it in it's current form, there's a list of why, but mostly it all boils down to less situational awareness. Here's just a few:
    ^...and not seeing flashlights, scans, flames, whether power is off, ...someone else carry on.
    (dont forget seeing your own weapon usage like BB)

Edit: And YES to that Alien vision mod from @Paajtor .. that thing is a beauty

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    GN, with respect, it's a double edged sword.

On the one hand the game 'looks better' with alien vision off. No dispute here. However, an alien (especially newer player) will usually be more effective with it on. So if the new player knows nothing about alien vision, they may get disenchanted with the alien team since it will be overly hard to play.

On the other hand if it starts with it on, it may not look as good, but the newer player will be more effective. Furthermore, I would think if a new player saw the colours they might think it was a bug and say something in chat. At which point people would tell them how to turn it off if they want.

No one ever asks about turning it on since new players don't know it exists. See the conundrum here?

Considering it is a toggle, I don't see why it would be a big deal to start with it on. What's the downside, aside from your concern about what people will think about the graphics?
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited April 2013
    To have it default on, you'd need to fix the current issues with invisible bile bomb, spit and glass windows first.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Desther wrote: »
    To have it default on, you'd need to fix the current issues with invisible bile bomb, spit and glass windows first.
    And even then people like me wouldn't want it on by default?

I agree with fixing it's issues still though, especially having to re toggle it back on.

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Desther wrote: »
    And even then people like me wouldn't want it on by default?

I agree with fixing it's issues still though, especially having to re toggle it back on.

I really don't care about this issue, but do not understand why you're so against it being on by default. Then you'd have to do what the majority already have to do, you have to press flashlight. Ohnoes.

Default on or a button to switch between on/off tbh makes more sense to me. I imagine that majority of people play everything with alien vision on, most good players probably only play with it off when they are gorge and even then it's still good for spotting targets.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    Kamamura wrote: »

this, awesome idea. maybe it should also slow your movement down. i remember people asking for p.res sinks and some complain about the game being too fast

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Why has this even turned into a discussion, I'm talking about the "on or off on start, oh no I don't want it on/off"

If this would be implemented, just make it a toggle option in the menu. Would solve your "problems" either side of this thread...
    mclawls wrote: »
    but do not understand why you're so against it being on by default. Then you'd have to do what the majority already have to do, you have to press flashlight. .
    Exactly! So why are you against it defaulting off if its so easy to enable then? :)
    That argument goes both ways.

• WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Wow, I really like the concept of that mod! Alien vision is horrendously ugly and other than a small minority trying not to use it (for whatever reason), there's no point in playing alien without alien vision on. That mod could give us back some of the beauty of the game while we're playing 50% of the time. Nevermind the bugs that come along with alien vision like not seeing glass or bile bomb. I love that some are defending those traits as intentional. Sure :P
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Savant wrote: »
    No one ever asks about turning it on since new players don't know it exists. See the conundrum here?

The built-in tutorial system prompts the player to activate it as soon as he enters a room where the power went down. Which is pretty often, given how much new players like to chew on some power node after a victory.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is no reason to have alien vision off, any concerns for the game graphics is outweighed by the need to perform your part as a player.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    This thread is silly. Why are we debating something as trivial as alien vision default? There is a single key press to turn it on. "F" and that's it. Anyone who has played a fps game usually hits 'F' for flashlight almost instantly to see if the game has one...

Anyway alien vision is situation as well. (ie gorge bilebomb, glass windows, etc...)