To all server admins and operators, please read!

invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
As many of you are aware NS2 has a basic consistency checking system which blocks users from modifying their lua files and shaders to get an advantage, however by default NS2 doesn't check any of the model files or their material files for consistency. This allows users to create mods such as http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135101759 or http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109537600 to give them a clear advantage on the battlefield.

It doesn't appear that UWE is going to implement further consistency checks anytime soon so it is up to the community to take care of this for now it seems like. Therefore, I would like to get all servers operators to run the following ConsistencyConfig.json as well as extract the following zip to the root directory of their server (just contains a .dds file to block one of the mods above).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41876022/ConsistencyConfig.json
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41876022/ns2.zip

By making this simple change we can block these mods while at the same time allowing most of the legitimate NS2 customization mods such as the classic fade model and mods packs to function properly.

Please do the community a favor and make these small changes to make sure people are playing with legit models on your servers.

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Another nice thing about the Steam Workshop is that you can pre-emptively ban those bragging about using these mods in the comments section. ;)
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Excellent! I'll be putting this on my server when I put it back up tomorrow.

I'll keep watch on this topic so do please add any other exploits you find so I can keep the server updated.
  • FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Added to our server. Many thanks!
  • AbcewaitwhatAbcewaitwhat Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168579Members
    Bump! this needs to be fixed !
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    Added this to our servers. Thanks Tempest!
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited April 2013
    I just want to warn you that this will only block the mods that currently exist on the workshop because those mods take certain shortcuts (modding the material file and creating a class) rather than modding the base skulk.dds and skulk_illum.dds (repeat for all aliens). Anyone the desire to do it themselves can get around the block set here very easily.

• invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    sotanaht wrote: »
    I just want to warn you that this will only block the mods that currently exist on the workshop because those mods take certain shortcuts (modding the material file and creating a class) rather than modding the base skulk.dds and skulk_illum.dds (repeat for all aliens). Anyone the desire to do it themselves can get around the block set here very easily.

Blocking the mods on the workshop is exactly what this tweak is intended to block and it is true that is very easy to get around but it atleast requires some work by users at this point to make it happen. This alone limits the number of people who can or will use these kinds of mods.

If you wanted to make sure everyone was on the same playing field then you would run your server with the client version and use a very strict consistency check, however this would completely block all client side modification and dramatically increase map load times.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Is this still working?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Is this still working?

It should but it's a bit outdated, so better don't use it ;)
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver