COMMUNITY SERVICE ENLISTMENT: Natural Selection 2 Mentorship Program [ns2mentor]

2»

Comments

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2013
    Just a reminder: tone is everything. Be upbeat, be encouraging, be polite, be patient, but never get snarky with someone if they're being a bit slow. If someone is getting a bit troll-ish it's best to sidestep them or ignore them entirely than engage. Don't get too down in the dumps if things don't work out; try to emphasize the positive and think of alternative strategies or just remind everyone that there's always the next game if you're really screwed.

When you're being a mentor to someone you play the game for their enjoyment, and when they succeed you'll feel far better than you would have had you been playing only for yourself.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    Yeah tone is very important, I just keep trying to be uplifting as possible. Thanks guys for all your contributions this weekend. =]

Feel free to continue and volunteer some of your time occasionally by being an [ns2mentor] though. =] Infact! let's keep this going. :D:D:D
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    Updated the first post, with our new steam group page. Feel free to join up and spread the word.

And of course... let's get out there this weekend and mentor. Thanks!
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh! Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    FLuX wrote: »
    Updated the first post, with our new steam group page. Feel free to join up and spread the word.

And of course... let's get out there this weekend and mentor. Thanks!

Only if you feed me cookies first >w> Peanut butter cookies
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Joined the group!
    While the free weekends suck for getting -good- games of NS, I had loads of fun comming rookie teams; when you get a bunch of rookies that are responsive to voice chat, the games work so much better. I'm all for this, awesome idea.
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh! Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    Joined the group!
    While the free weekends suck for getting -good- games of NS, I had loads of fun comming rookie teams; when you get a bunch of rookies that are responsive to voice chat, the games work so much better. I'm all for this, awesome idea.

yay more fresh meats to nom on :'3

• BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    On behalf of all Ex NS2Learn members, I give you 2 fade blades up!
    edited April 2013
    Awe, thanks. It's groups like NSLearn and NSGuides in NS1 that really pioneered this stuff. I felt it was very important to push for something like that here today for the benefit NS2 community . Something I know the community in large could embrace and be excited to help over again.

As for the focus right now, it's more about casual, "just help where you can" mentoring while you're in game that I would I would like to see to start, and while that will always be the main focus of the Mentoring Program (to be a shining pillar of the community in all respects). I hope eventually, we can provide a few extra resources to help mentors and students gather. :)

However unlike NSlearn and NSGuides, being an NS2Mentor a commitment to the community as a whole, to act at all times upstanding, to be helpful and positive. To do our best not to let the frustration that gets even the best of us, rear it's head that often, but instead staying positive all the way thru if possible. Mentoring is just as much imprinting a positive attitude just as it is imparting your knowledge onto the player. =]

Thank you for your enthusiasm.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    aaaaaand also joined the group.
    Still a shame [ns2mentor] doesnt fit. Increase the char size so I can fit it instead of [mentor] damnit. :p
    edited April 2013
    I'm pushing for that! :D Or something special. :)

Also to avoid any confusion. There is no dedicated time required to be a mentor. The most important aspect is a commitment of attitude. You're only required to fulfill the actual role of mentoring when you feel you have the time to do so. =]

So don't worry if you feel you may not have enough time to commit to the program. As long as you're bringing in the proper mentoring attitude while you're playing, you're already contributing. =] (of course it doesn't hurt to provide a tip here and there while you casually game to anyone who looks a lil' lost.)
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    I'm sorry. But this well is dry. The community is great, but this free to play weekend is turning me off. These new players have nothing invested into the community. The game is free to them.

Understand this decision but I'm disappointed that the Devs are leaning on us once again after we've worked so hard to build this community up.

I don't really understand this. UWE put together a global tournament, so I think they've done at least just as much as we have. No one is forcing us to be a mentor, so it's not really "leaning" on us.

I think it's a good idea, it's dead simple, but (hopefully) completely effective. It provides a quick glance that there is a community willing to teach and help, even if as a rookie you don't end up seeking advice, it must affect you positively seeing that there are "mentors" around. Then of course the plus side is being taught something, which should make the game more enjoyable.

My only criticism is the Steam group. Steam groups are notorious for being completely ineffectual, and for having barren chat lobbies. It would be an ideal place, obviously, but they just don't turn out that way. There would be nothing better than having some mentors in the chat lobby, with a load of rookies asking questions, everyone learning something, but I just don't see that heaven happening.

Thing is though, the main point is being seen in the game, as a mentor, and providing advice in-game, that's what this is about. So, things like forums and groups, while nice when they work, I'm pleased to say just aren't that important here.

I think, to be honest, it's going to take a lot of consistent, continued hard work over the years, from everyone, devs and players and community-members alike, to really bring the game out of the shadows. Question, though: how big do we want this game to get? Half of it's appeal, for me, anyway, is that it's a bit indie and small-scale and occasionally amateurish (in a good way). Sure, the game could become major in eSports, but then it would lose its community vibe. I'm sure UWE would like to make as much money as possible with it, which would be the eSport direction, but...... I'm rambling, I don't really know where I'm going with this.

tl;dr

Mentor program = good, but only time will tell how effective it is.
  • CarefootCarefoot Join Date: 2009-07-28 Member: 68288Members
    I'm an old school casual PM me first before you add me on Steam: Carefoot on steam @carefoot #carefoot
    lemme know if you want to learn to COM as Alien, Com as Human, or unit specific stuff (ie. strategy of a lonesome marine)
    Hit me up. Must have dark sense of humor and agree to be 'a victim of the noobschool'.

ps: Smoking weed is a plus.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As mentioned elsewhere, DFA is hosting a ROOKIES ONLY server for this free weekend. We will try to keep a DFA member in the server at all times to babysit, but we could probably use some help from mentors with the coaching. I want to try and give the rookies the best possible experience with their introduction to the game this time around, because I think it's running out of chances.