Speed Building the hive?

freetobanditofreetobandito Join Date: 2012-01-27 Member: 142196Members, Reinforced - Shadow
IIRC, the ability to 'speed up' the gestation time of a hive with healspray and crags in build220ish or 230?...is this still in effect? It is my understanding, that healspray will only affect the overall health of the hive.. and not necessarily the percentage of completion of the hive.

I have searched the forums trying to find past patch notes on the matter, but no luck. If anyone could help me out and tell me which build (roughly) that was implemented, that would be super.

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Healspray increases the build rate of the hive, even once at full HP. The increase is quite substantial as well.
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    I believe it stacks with multiple gorges as well.

Certainly seems to.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Heal Spray does indeed speed up building progress even at full health. However, the more Gorges there are to help, the less each spray will contribute to the speed up (but still faster compared to only 1 Gorge healing)

Crags on the other hand, only heal and do not speed up building.
  • freetobanditofreetobandito Join Date: 2012-01-27 Member: 142196Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does anyone have a reference to where it was removed/added? (lookin at you devs)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    It's been there for ages? Supply the gorge with a shift and I think the building speed is 2x? It's very noticeable though. Even though gorges don't fully stack healing a hive (I'm not sure about this tho) 3 gorges with a shift healing a hive it goes up FAST. Try it sometime.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Plus Enzyme on the Gorges.
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    THIS I did not think of. Will definitely do it next time.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Apreche2 wrote: »

I'm not sure that it's worth the cost.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Probably not, but it's fun!
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Desther wrote: »
    Apreche2 wrote: »

I'm not sure that it's worth the cost.

Maybe when you have 8 rts and want to tech up and end the game as fast as possible.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You don't need 3, but say you happened to have one or two gorges building a hive... it does happen. Place a shift and enzyme them, why not.

I was in a tough game last night where marines were turtles in terminal. We took out their second base in cafe, they pushed and took our departures hive. I, and another gorge, built the cafe hive with shift as fast as we could but it still seemed to take too long.
  • sinkingmistsinkingmist Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172905Members
    edited March 2013
    kHiveBuildTime = 180

kMinBuildTimePerHealSpray = .25
    kMaxBuildTimePerHealSpray = 0.7

How much of a boost is given depends on time since last heal spray (whether that's from the same gorge or otherwise).
    Basically the construction time is reduced by however many seconds it's been since last heal spray + the min boost of 0.25s, with a max possible boost of 0.7s.

The LUA in case anyone cares:
    function ConstructMixin:OnHealSpray(gorge)

if not gorge:isa("Gorge") then
            return
        end

if GetIsAlienUnit(self) and GetAreFriends(self, gorge) and not self:GetIsBuilt() then

local currentTime = Shared.GetTime()

-- Multiple Gorges scale non-linearly 
            local timePassed = Clamp((currentTime - self.timeOfLastHealSpray), 0, kMaxBuildTimePerHealSpray)
            local constructTimeForSpray = math.min(kMinBuildTimePerHealSpray + timePassed, kMaxBuildTimePerHealSpray)

--Print("added time: %.2f (time passed: %.2f)", constructTimeForSpray, timePassed)

self:Construct(constructTimeForSpray, gorge)

self.timeOfLastHealSpray = currentTime

end

end

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Enzyme + Shift = Super hive-building gorge
    edited March 2013
    Unfortunately that looks like a call for the formula and not the formula itself, so I can't use it for any sort of interesting theorycrafting.

What is the minimum time between sprays required to hit the maximum perhealspray? What is the maximum time between sprays required to hit the minimum perhealspray (the point at which adding more gorges scales liniarly)? If the delay for max perhealspray is more than the delay for a single gorge, would it be more efficient (with or without a shift) to stagger breaths for maximum effect?
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    I deleted this comment, because i was simply wrong.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    Kopunga wrote: »
    Btw: Healspray does not only increase building speed but also research speed on any alien building. That includes Hives, Spurs, Shells and Veils. Just FYI.

You sure about the research part? I can't tell a difference when I'm heal spraying a research upgrade if it's going any faster. Building maturity obviously, but research?

Heal spray does not assist with research such as leap/blink etc. You can actually see the result in percentages on hive building, so I don't doubt the effect there, but on research it makes absolutely no difference. I would believe it might help upgrades (hive to crag hive, shell to carapace shell) but I am not certain.
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Heal spray does not assist with research such as leap/blink etc. You can actually see the result in percentages on hive building, so I don't doubt the effect there, but on research it makes absolutely no difference. I would believe it might help upgrades (hive to crag hive, shell to carapace shell) but I am not certain.

From what I gather as playing at least 50 hours as Gorge is that heal spray speeds up alien maturity as well as hive upgrades to shade/shift/crag but makes no noticeable difference in trait evolutions or having your team mates evolve faster. Bile researches the same speed if I'm heal spraying it or not.

And the marginal returns from multiple gorges heal spray is pretty rapid in drop off. The third gorge really should just go do something else as their contribution is real minor.

• countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    While we are at it:
    How many crags does it make sense to have to heal stuff? How do the rates behave above 3?
    How many IPs does it make sense to have? Rates?
    edited March 2013
    countbasie wrote: »
    While we are at it:
    How many crags does it make sense to have to heal stuff? How do the rates behave above 3?

The more crags the better IMO.

That said, a forward base really shouldn't need more than 3. Not that I paid that much attention, but bases that had 4+ didn't seem to heal me any faster as an Onos. Maybe putting 5 around a hive that is under constant non-arc attack might be worth it, but an addition of whips against GLs would be a better use of res.

As for IPs, depends on how fast your team dies. And it's 7 seconds per respawn. Some games you only need 1 total. Some games you have a backlog of people waiting to respawn with 3.

That said, you should have at least 1 IP per tech point. I once lost a game because I only placed 1 IP total and the team got killed before someone could jump into the chair at the 2nd tech point. Shame, we almost had that game too.

• mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    3 well placed crags at a hive, 5 would be insane you don't have that sort of res if you're in a game where they're ARCing you. I ALWAYS make sure to place hive crags where common ARC spots won't be able to hit, but they can still heal the hive.
    mclawls wrote: »
    3 well placed crags at a hive, 5 would be insane you don't have that sort of res if you're in a game where they're ARCing you. I ALWAYS make sure to place hive crags where common ARC spots won't be able to hit, but they can still heal the hive.

If you can afford 5 regularly, they can't afford ARCs as your team has the lion's share of RTs. Generally, when that happens on maps like Veil, aliens have already reduced marines to just Control and it's just a matter of time until the spore/bile/onos rush comes.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited March 2013
    As for IPs, depends on how fast your team dies.

Decide how many IPs you're going to need and get them BEFORE you need them. If you're only losing one marine per seven seconds on average then you'll keep up with only one IP. ... until you do a big push and overextend and lose a bunch of guys all at once, then all of a sudden you're down four players on the field for thirty seconds and you just lost map control.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @sinkingmist has it right, the amount it grows is a fixed amount + an increasing amount based on when the HIVE was last sprayed (NOT when the gorge last sprayed), to a max amount. This means that every gorge you add becomes less effective, as in the end it will only be increasing by the fixed amount, which is quite low. So all those people asking for a shift when 2-3 gorges are already on the hive, please stop, it doesn't help. Someone posted the tested build times with 1 gorge, 1 gorge + a shift, 2 gorges etc in a thread a while back. iirc 1 gorge with a shift is only 15-20s faster than without one, so it really doesn't help much, 2 gorges with a shift is next to useless, but 2 gorges is 20s faster than 1 gorge with a shift.

tldr; stop asking for shifts to build hives, and stop having so many gorges growing it.
  • sinkingmistsinkingmist Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172905Members
    While we are at it:
    Code is a bit more involved for this, but basically every crag heal tick it:
    1) Checks for potential heal targets and looks at its internal "this has healed me recently" list. If there are 3 or more things on that list, it doesn't heal it.
    2) It finds up to 3 targets that it can heal (is damaged and passes step 1).
    3) When it heals the target, it enters the target's internal "this has healed me recently" list. It stays on that list for Crag.kHealInterval = 2 seconds, before dropping off.

I assume the crag heal ticks every 2 seconds as well.

Currently only crags can ever get on the "this has healed me recently" list, but the code that handles this list process is not in Crag.lua but in LiveMixin.lua, so who knows, something else could use it in the future too.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Pretty sure crags max at 3 for effective healing.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members

Also when you beacon, the number of dead players brought in is equal to the number of infantry portals you have powered IIRC.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Are we sure about heal spray's effect on Maturity? I was under the impression that maturity was only sped up by Mist.

It would be good to get a definitive answer, from Hugh (who plays alot), an external dev, a PT we all know on the forums etc etc on:

Mist: Benefits Egg Evolve Time and Maturity only? (and what about onos egg building befor it is occupied by a player?)

Enzyme: Attack rate only? (someone in FS. said it heals, my tests say no but im wondering if it increases *heal effect* rates, so if a gorge was healing me or a crag as healing me and an enzyme was cast on *me* would I get a 50% boost to healing?)
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Enzyme speed building is obviously faster, but even with a shift and 3 gorges you are looking at around 20-30 resources spent on enzyme alone. Not at all worth the investment, since getting a hive up faster rarely yields any benefit.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »

I just tested it and indeed heal spray does only effect building construction and nothing else. When heal spray is applied to upgrades the progress occasionally jumps by 2% but that also happens without heal spray. So to sum it up:
    • Building buildings -> Yes
    • Speeding up upgrades -> No
    • Speeding up Hive specialization -> No
    • Speeding up maturety -> No
    • Egg to lifeform Egg -> No (not even mist works here)