Extending Bridges
Lock-downs
Air-Locks
Weldable Vents
Weldable Props
Ride-able Tram Cars

Few examples:
Being able to change songs on the jutebox
Being able to activate or deactivate the Tram Repair Robot Arm in Repair room, on the map NS2_Tram.
Activate or devactive (with a weld or a button) the crusher in Crusher room, on the map NS2_Mineshaft.

Adding triggers could make maps more dynamic and immersive.

Comments

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Lockdowns, oh man - I can imagine this already - aliens rush into base, alarms go off - marines get beaconed, aliens rushing out but then another alarm goes off - the room is in a complete lockdown, nowhere to run - aliens get picked off one by one.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really really really want to flush things out of Descent's airlock. Problem is, I can't think of a way it can't be OP.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I really really really want to flush things out of Descent's airlock. Problem is, I can't think of a way it can't be OP.

Well NS1 had rooms that were essentially death traps.
    Nobody played on these maps competitively or anything but it was still fun.
    There was a combat mod map in NS1 with an airlock at the command chair.
    When you press a button, inside the Marine Base, the doors would shut and all marines and aliens would get sucked out into space and die.
    I believe the aliens had a similar Airlock in their Hive room.

If done well, a mechanic like this could be implemented in a competitive setting.
    Instead of making it so cheap and insta-kill, maybe a trigger could be tied to a button or weldable prop.
    Once the prop is welded or the button is pressed, the room will go into lock down for 20 seconds.
    This would trap anybody inside.
    It could be used to shut out aliens or deny them map control temporaily.
    Or it could be to bide precious seconds, when engaging a large alien swarm.
    Or Aliens could use it to trap marines into a room with a large alien swarm.
    Or it could be used to bide precious seconds while the commander beacons.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    A zero gravity room in descent wouldn't even be imba. You would just move like no-clip.
  • tamalontamalon Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168470Members
    as much as i would love these things, the problem with map design always comes down to balance.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    A zero gravity room in descent wouldn't even be imba. You would just move like no-clip.

Ha, I've always thought that killing power in gravity control should do that.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Shouldn't this be in the Mapping forums?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Some of these already partially exist, they aren't fully functional but you can trigger cinematics with buttons and the like. The biggest problem with that however is cinematics have issues with collisions (see lava buckets in Smelting on Refinery).

Max hinted in the mapping forum that he wanted to get mappers some more toys, I would not be surprised to see the existing entities that can do some of these polished up for real use.

see this video for some of the existing stuff in action.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Been waiting for entity I/O for a while. If done right, it'll allow for much more than just button pushing (think scripted sequences, teleporting, etc).
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver